SCSEP / Separation from scsep employment

United States, Washington, Seattle
Senior Community Service Employment Program
I have been a participant in the Senior Employment program administrated by the Seattle YWCA for the last 3 years, under a 48-month contract with the SCSEP Program. Many of us who are involved in employment thru this program recently received letters August 3, advising us our positions were terminated effective August 31. No explanation was given except for a broad reference to budget issues.
I, and my other SCSEP coworkers signed on for a 48- month employment period, and anticipated a commitment by the YWCA to follow through on the 48 month employment contract we signed up for. We are deeply impacted at the loss of our positions with no prior notice, and with no time to prepare for the loss of income. I question the appropriateness of this severance from the SCSEP Program by this agency, and whether there is any recourse for those of us who are losing our employment as a result. Is there a process for grievance in place given these events? Is there a way to finish up our contracts with other agencies for the time period left, or some viable method of being allowed to continue working for the months left in our contract as we were told we would be doing when we signed on? Responses Appreciated.
Aug 4, 2015