scottys junk removal / overcharging

1 London, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 5196738477

I had Scottys junk removal at my house today.

His charges were $50.00 dollars for the truck plus dump fees.

He charged $317.00 including the dump and truck fees.

The cost to dump 1 ton of product at a recycling yard is $80.00 a ton. (2000 lbs)

My junk weighed 1276 lbs

So having a $267.00 dump fee was over 300% markup.

I dont begrudge anyone a fair profit. But 300%?

Shop around!

I wont be using his services again.

Comments

• Ju
      2nd of Jul, 2008

We used Scott's for a similarly sized load a couple of weeks ago, so paid the same as you.

I don't disagree that 300% seems a hefty mark-up, but his two guys did load everything we had without complaint and then took it away, and for me that was worth it.

With the price of gas these days, and two guys for an hour each handling some pretty gross stuff, and then their time to transport and unload the stuff at the other end ... I don't think $187 gross profit is all that unreasonable.

• Ga
      2nd of Dec, 2009

There's costs associated with business. it's not uncommon for a garbage hauler to make 1000$ in 8 hrs. I do. Difference is I explain my rates up front. If you weigh your garbage to see if you're getting "ripped off" sounds like you need to get a life.

• Ho
      14th of Feb, 2010

'Scotty' was thrown in jail, and his business was stolen from the founder of 888 Junk VAN in london. That company is ridiculous advertising $25 load, but then we get these dump fees charged to our credit card. Its .04/lb at green Vally to dump their and JunkVan charges .21/lb!!! Thieves! And have you seen their drivers!? I wouldn't want them in my house!!!

• Ku
      9th of Feb, 2011

Dear homeowner1. It's funny that you mention rates at recycling depots and compare them to the rates a junk removal service provider charges. It's like comparing a cab ride to the cost of you driving your vehicle!!
    It will cost you $30 to make it across the city in a cab, while maybe $5 in a car. What about that markup??
    Have you ever heard of expenses such as advertising, gas, dump fees, insurances, wages, truck maintenance, company clothing, call centers, websites, the list goes on. So yes, every commercial institution will have a markup, because if you ever went to school you will know that a rate of $0.21/lb after all these expenses drops radically! AND the rate at recycling depots such as Green Valley is NOT $0.04, but $0.09/lb for residential!!
    888-JUNK-VAN charges $50 for truck plus weight, but gives deals such as $25 for the truck plus weight. Clearly you never had dealt with other businesses in your life. Sorry to hear that!

• Ku
      28th of Apr, 2011

Hi Anita,

Yes that seems pretty high... but honestly that's what you will get with most companies in London, at least that's what I've noticed and I've used a few of them.
    One company I would keep clear from is University Junk Removal. My father in law had them over once, boy was he dissapointed. On their website they state being the cheapest, well that's probably true but only if you have an increadibly large amount of junk. My father had to pay $90 for a love seat to be removed, now that is a SCAM!! (They said that this was their minimum charge!!) Not to mention he said that when these guys showed up they did not even ask if they should take their shoes off while getting in the house, made some weird jokes and laughed to each other, not a single smile just looking "tough", he says it was the worst experience ever. I personally have not tried these guys so I can't say for 100% how bad/good they are, but my father in law has tried from the pro companies to the local boys and he states these so called university junk kids are the worst... go figure, you would think they would be the best...

6th of May, 2011

Scotty was thrown in jail for good reason!!! No one stole his business from him at all. He overcharges and pays his help squat so he pockets most of what he charges.