Scott Woodwork / Terrible company

I ordered an oak custom platform bed from James Scott of Scott Woodwork. After waiting weeks longer than originally stated, the bed I received was too large because he measured it incorrectly.

After numerous emails (and several more weeks of waiting, ) he agreed to correct the problem and would send a new bed. Upon receiving the new shipment, I opened the box to find literally 4 boards and 4 legs with no holes drilled in any of them except two. In addition, one of the boards was damaged. No support rails were attached to the side boards to support the slats.

Basically, to make this into a bed, I would need to obtain power tools because of the hardness of the wood and decide for myself where all the holes would go. I would also need to purchase additional wood to make side rails. And purchase an additional piece of wood to replace the damaged board.

I paid $325.00 to have a bed made. Not to have wood sent to me so I could create one for myself. I should be able to take it out of the box and put it together. James has since discontinued communications and has not offered to correct the problem or provide a refund. Other negative feedback was left on Ebay for this seller for the same reason.

T

Comments

9th of Mar, 2009

I am not sure how your order ended up so horribly but i had a WONDERFUL expierence

I found Mr. Scott very pleasent and easy to deal with. I had a mission style bed made and it was better then expected

I know my neighbor also ordered some furniture from him and i will be calling her right now to see if she can post her impression of the furniture.

Truly is great quality hand crafted work

• Br
      9th of Mar, 2009

check [redacted], scott woodwork to see a list of victims.

10th of Mar, 2009

I am also waiting for an order to be completed and it has been almost 2 month since I placed the order. Now I am concerned, because the complaint was posted so recently.

• Co
      13th of Mar, 2009

I bought a bed from him on Oct. 27th of 2008. I have never received it or a refund. I have filled a complaint with BBB and a police report. He has not answered my emails or phone calls. DO NOT buy anything from him.

14th of Mar, 2009

Wow, i am suprised. I actually am like Sarah i bought some furniture from him and had a great experience. Very suprised that people are having problems with him

18th of Mar, 2009

I have been experiencing similar problems with James Scott but have only been waiting since early January. He was very friendly and quick to respond before I paid for the bed and said it would take 4-6 weeks to ship. Since I made the payment through Google checkout he has been extremely slow to reply to inquiries (if at all). He recently sent what looked like a blanket email to his customers apologizing for delays with a list of reasons why things are taking much longer than originally promised. In this email, he explained that he lost some of his records that detailed what type of furniture was requested and asked that customers send him a reminder of what they ordered. In this email, he also emphasized that he was NOT a “scam artist” or a fraud. One week ago, I sent him the info that he requested. I also asked that he reply with a confirmation of when my bed would ship. I have not heard from him since.

18th of Mar, 2009

Same thing happened to me I ordered a bed on Ebay September 4th and it is now March and I still have not received it or a refund. He keeps on giving me excuses and now from what everyone is saying I think he is a fraud. I'm calling the BBB, Ebay and filing a police report. I can't believe this guy.

• Lo
      19th of Mar, 2009

I just got a whole bedroom set from him. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.
    LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT
    I did order back in september as well and at first was angry that it took a while. I also heard the same reasons for delays.
    I can assure anyone whoe wants quality SHOULD BUY FROM HIM
    IT IS BEAUTIFUL WORK
    He did seem to have some bad luck with delays but what can i say thats the price you pay when it is hand made.

• Ol
      23rd of Mar, 2009

I paid for a bed from him on August 24, 2008--and I'm still waiting for it. I have received a series of pleasant email excuses periodically, but nothing else. I've been sleeping on the floor for 7 months!

Personally, this seems too high a price for hand-made. I wish I could get my money back, but requests for a refund have been met with "no, we'll send it next week." Ha.

I'm about to join the people calling the BBB and the police...

• Eb
      24th of Mar, 2009

I purchases a bed frame from im on ebay in september and did not receive it tell late january and it was put together horribly I can't even use in fear that the bad stain job will rub into my sheets. This is someone who should not be in the business of furniture making.

• Th
      25th of Mar, 2009

I purchased a bed from mr. scott in september i think. I also have had the same problems as everyone else. Well I finally recieved my bed about 3 weeks ago, It is EXACTLY what I exspected a broken POS with no instructions and missing parts. Well I told mr.scott that 2 of the main pieces were broken during shipping and he didnt seem to care, and also there were plenty of missing parts so I have to go buy wood and make a headboard myself! I told him the issue and he ask me what parts were missing and my response was how am I supposed to know if there are no instructions? he is not answering my calls or emails AGAIN! THIS MAN IS A BULLSH***ER!

EVERYONE THAT HAS BEEN WRONGED PLEASE E_MAIL ME
    AT ttownderb@Hotmail.com so we can work together to get our money back! I have been dealing with his constant pushover reasons as to why it took so long and I believe everything that he has been telling people is a total lie. PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP!I would love for all the poeple that have been wronged to be in Judge judys court with this case she would rip him a new one!
    thanks thomas.

• Th
      25th of Mar, 2009

By the way!
    Im pretty sure mr. scott knows that after waiting 45 days you are waiving your rights for ebay to even help you. Well how convinient is it that he says it takes 4-6 weeks. IF THATS NOT A SCAM ARTIST I DONT KNOW WHAT IS! so pretty much he can send you a 2by4 piece of wood and you cant do anything about it and neither can ebays fraud department. Hes smarter than you think!
    Mr. scott has told me ATLEAST 30 different reasons as to why there was so many delays, if you are waiting for a bed still you might as well exspect to get nothing or a broken POS like I did.
    CONTACT ME at ttownderb@hotmail.com
    thomas

• Ce
      30th of Mar, 2009

Same story. Bed ordered in August of 2008 & still no sign of it. Lots of excuses.
    I've filed with the Dallas BBB also. I think it's time for all of us to also file complaint with the Texas Attorney General's Office. They are obliged to investigate and would have the power to shut him down. We might not get our money back, but at least we'd have the satisfaction of protecting others and just maybe getting him arrested for fraud.

• Ss
      24th of Apr, 2009

Well, it seems the @#$hole has moved on to selling on Etsy (they just removed his online store). I will be contacting the gentlemen who is suing him. I suggest everyone else do he same. JERK! And Mr. Scott, just in case you're reading these post... please know that I will be getting my money back from you.

• Ju
      24th of Apr, 2009

The complaints don't stop here when he was booted from an online store...

• Wo
      13th of May, 2009

Darn, I wish i found this thread before i ordered! Very similar story with me. I ordered a custom bed in Jan 09 and we designed it together. He tried to send me photos of the bed in-work but they were just blank white JPEGs. I also got the generic mass email saying he wasn't a scam artist.

I thought he was reputable because of the positive feedback on Ebay and Etsy but this has been a nightmare. His online stores are now gone and he doesn't reply to email. I do believe he actually makes furniture but it is totally and completely wrong and irresponsible to take people's money and leave them in the dark. I just want my money back now.

• Kb
      27th of May, 2009

I ordered a bed from him on Etsy and now his account doesn't even exist. Does anyone know his email address where I can reach him at? His website is no longer online and i have no other way to contact him than his phone number which we all know he does not answer.

• Ca
      17th of Jun, 2009

IF YOU HAVE BEEN SCREWED BY THIS GUY TOO, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT: caitlin1358@yahoo.com

I ordered an Asian style platform bed off of eBay from "James Scott" about four months ago. I had my doubts about ordering this sort of thing over the internet, but I decided to take the risk because the asking price was so low (I paid $450 for a bed, headboard, and two nightstands). Claiming that his records had been deleted, "James" would not even confirm my order until the 45-day limit for refunds from eBay was almost already up. After countless other excuses (including the "I am not a scam artist" email that he sent some of you) I began to get really suspicious and requested his contact information from eBay. When I realized that he had given eBay the name David Scott, but had signed his emails James Scott, I really started to worry. Despite all my best efforts, James/David would not respond, so I did some searching and all too easily discovered these posts.

Now that I have discovered all of the other people who have been screwed over by this guy, I want nothing more than to take whatever legal action I can against him.
    I may never see that money again, but I can't bear the thought of not doing everything in my power to get this guy investigated by the right people. I'm sure many of you feel the same.
    If anyone has already taken action against "James Scott" or would like to attempt to file a joint claim, PLEASE contact me at caitlin1358@yahoo.com.
    Please let me know what steps you have taken, and where it's gotten you, or whether you would be interested in making a move together. Thank you.

• Dj
      19th of Jun, 2009

Not sure if this email still works...he may have shut it off. But, this is the one he used when emailing me a few months ago. Good luck.

jscott0603@yahoo.com

• Bk
      27th of Mar, 2010

Saw your complaint about Scott wood work...I know info on him...make sure you use it.
    home address. 7220 Routt Street Fort worth
    wife Tiffany Frithiof works at an Ann Taylor Southlake Texas cell phone 214-641-9365
    James...works at JRJ paving 214-466-8340
    his cell 214-642-5158
    Look up Tiffany Frithiof on facebook...has her own page...smiling at us after she ripped all of us off
    Please forward this to anyone you know who got ripped off. Thanks
    Dont f... with us Mr Scott.
    anonymous friend