Scholastic Books/ North Shore Agency / fraudulant collection letters

1 IL, United States Review updated:

Scholastic Books sends books to homes of people that did not order them or sends no books at all and then sends bills for these books that you never ordered or received in the first place.

When you don't pay, they send bogus collection letters from North Shore Agency. I found out on the Internet that North Shore Agency in this case is little more than the company that sends a letter from Scholastic to make it look more official and intimidating.

The address to send in your payment is to Beginning Readers Program, not North Shore Agency.

This company covers all bases. When I called them to ask for proof of ordering, they claimed that the order came from some bogus email address and it must have been Internet Fraud and they would make a note on the account of this Fraud and no money was owed.

How many companies let you order merchandise without paying or providing proof of who you are. They must pull this scam quite a bit and have some success with it to keep it up. Some people must be paying these bills out of fear that their credit will be hurt.

A company like this should not be allowed to do business.

Comments

• Jc
      1st of Dec, 2008

I received the exact same type letter from North Shore Agency, Inc on 11/21/08. It was saying that I owed $50 for Beginning Readers Scholastic Books. I have tried to call them but haven't been able to reach a person and not an automated system. I will be responding via written correspondence to dispute this.

Finding this website and this complaint put my mind at ease about whether this was legit or not.

Thanks for posting!

• Wa
      13th of Mar, 2009

I'm dealing with the exact same problem!

I've talked to the company that now runs Beginning Readers and my account is cleared with them. I recieved the books when I did not order them, sent them back, and they've marked this all on my account.

I've been dealing with North Shore since October, 2008. One notice said I owed one amount, another notice said I owed another amount.

I've written a letter, but just got another notice. I'm getting ready to send out another letter today, and it will be certified.

• Pl
      24th of Mar, 2009

You might want to try 1-800-724-6527 and stay on the line till the end when they prompt you to enter zero for assistance!