Schmidt Quality Construction / Bad business!

1 IL, United States Review updated:

This local article has very interesting comments on this man that should never be allowed to operate a business again. Read the comments at the bottom: http://www.chicagosuburbannews.com/downersgrove/homepage/x603831151.

Comments

• Co
      16th of Dec, 2007

Call the village and ask about them before doing anything - you'll be enlightened.

• Co
      3rd of Jan, 2008

They packed up and left the local newspaper just reported. I have filed with the BBB as well. They should not be allowed to get away with this. The entire place (or former place) is a web of deceit.

• Da
      24th of Jan, 2008

After reading the complaints about Schmidt Quality Construction in Downers Grove, Illinois, I am sick to my stomach for all the customers, vendors, and subcontractors who have been hurt in any way by this company. It always sickens me when the very few in my industry are successful at doing harm and not good. When I Googled the name, I found complaints dating as far back as October 2006 - shortly after they opened on Curtiss in Downers Grove.

I must make a comment from a BBB Torch Award winning remodeling company's point of view. I am the owner of IHM Remodeling Repair Contractors, also in Downers Grove, IL for the past nine years. We just won the 2007 BBB Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics which is not a common award for a small, NARI Certified, remodeling company. So, I am qualified to make a small comment that will hopefully help anyone reading this before they choose any service provider to work on their home.

There are very good, honest, honorable and quality Professional Remodelers out there. But, because they are honest, theyt will not tell a homeowner that the cost of a remodeling project is lower than what it will really cost. Like IHM, they will tell the truth from the very first estimate. So, please, please, please, do more than look at the bottom line of the estimates. Check out all companies and persons that you are considering through The National Association of the Remodeling Industry (www.narichicago.org), the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org), and the Attorney General's Office of the State of Illinois. Just because someone has membership/trade organization logos on the company brochure does not mean they are actual members or members in good standing. Go to these resources' websites and look up the companies. Better yet, place a call to these organizations and ask if they know about these companies - they usually know all about the bad ones.

First and at all times - always ask the cheapest estimate why they are the cheapest. I can guarantee they are not including things in the estimate that they should and are lowballing just to get the job. Once your house is torn up, they will claim that it was only an estimate and therefore, the new problem just discovered wasn't included. Or, they are not covering their costs of doing business and will use your money to pay their bills from a previous job or an ongoing job before yours starts.

I don't know if this was the case with Schmidt, but it has been my experience with other similar situations in the past that the homeower got 3 estimates or more searching for the one that will do the work for the cheapest price. This is the most dangerous way to choose a remodeler, contractor, repair person, etc. Unfortunately, by the time they have taken all your money and peace of mind, you are out of funds to now get the work done right. There is no second chance when it comes to home repair/remodeling projects.

Finally, I apologize that there isn't a reliable form of regulation in our industry. So, it's even more important that a homeowner do their homework and take the time to check companies out. I'm not saying that those who were hurt by Schmidt didn't do their homework or even knew where to go to get info. Sometimes, bad things happen to good people for no reason whatsoever. It's little comfort, but I will pray for all of you that have lost their hard earned money, valuable time, sleep and peace of mind. I will pray that all of you will recoup what you lost in some way or another. My hear goes out to all of you. Sincerely, Dawn M. Tuskey, President, IHM Remodeling Repair Contractors (www.ihmremodeling.com).

• Ke
      29th of Feb, 2008

I was hired by James and Ken nearly 1 year ago. My stay was almost 3 weeks as the sales/showroom manager. Although I had my own personal problems with my marriage and some alcohol use, they both seemed to have understood and we're willing to overlook my own personal situation. So maybe I'm a little niave in the way they did business. But I'm a pretty good judge of character and I believe they both have strong character. I'm just not sure weather its good or bad character. Non the less I do hope they both come out of the situation they have dug themselves into with a win/win solution for all involved. Good Luck to all.

• Va
      23rd of Jul, 2008
    Schmidt Quality Constructio - Very Unprofessional and downright mean
    Schmidt Quality Constructio
    1001 Curtiss Street
    Downers Grove
    Illinois

I am so angry right now. Last year this company did some work for us. They needed access to the basement wall through the first floor. They moved our central air conditioning unit to get to the place they needed to be. When the work was done they disappeared without putting the air conditioning back. We called and asked them to come back. They did. It was winter then and we could not check to see if the AC was working. Now it is June. It is hot. We turned on the AC. It did not work. They had given us a letter stating they would come out in the Spring to charge our unit. I called the company. The phone was disconnected. They are out of business.

Today we had an AC repair man out. He said our unit is now worthless. Lines were cut. Hoses were bent. We have to replace the whole thing! Of course, in these lean times we don't have the money for this.

How can fellow humans treat each other this way? What is wrong with James Schmidt? He stood in my home and told me he would help us take care of our problems. I can't believe someone would lie right to my face.

I found out about this website too late. I will always check here before doing anything.

James Schmidt: If you are reading this. Do the right thing. Call me, Laura Duet, to pay us the money you know owe us.