Scentura / Platinum Management / Perfume selling disguised as office jobs

1 439 N. ElwoodGlendora, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 626-914-4400

This company places ads in the local Pennysaver for "Office Help". In reality they are recruiting people to sell "renditions" of popular perfumes. They accept resumes, but do not require you to complete any employment applications, ask to see proof of legal rights to work, or formally hire you. I was hired into their "entry-level management" position. They never explicitly explain what that position entails or what duties were expected of me in that position. They tell you the position starts at $30, 000 a year but never fully explained or discussed their pay rate or scale. In reality, there is a 6-8 week training period, for which you will not be paid, and their first assignment for the "manager trainees" is a contest to see who can sell the most unit of perfumes at $30 a bottle (discounted to $25 for friends & families), without you having any samples and without you having even seen or smell the products you are supposed to be selling. The company stuck me as disingenuous and I quit after my first day of "training".

Comments

19th of Jun, 2008

I know this company.

Correction: their address is actually 534 N. Elwood, Suite D, Glendora, CA

• Li
      25th of Jun, 2008

I'm glad I googled their phone number before I called and scheduled an "interview". I've been misled before by other scams and am happy I won't be wasting my time. Thanks for posting!

• Ka
      30th of Jun, 2008

I am currently working for this company as an entry level manager and I just finished orientation today, I begin Hell week as they call it tomorrow, when discussed in the first day of training they told us that training was made to ween out the weak. They specifically tell us during orientation that payment details will be discussed on Wednesday which is the second day of training. How would you know about payment if you didn't even make it past the first day of training and did you pay attention to the information given to us during the two days you were there.

3rd of Jul, 2008

THIS IS A SCAM!! DO NOT EVER GO THERE... I WAS THERE FOR A COUPLE DAYS AND FOR ONE YOU GET TRAINED IN A GARAGE!! WHILE THERE BUMPING MUSIC.. ITS NOT AN OFFICE ENVIORNMENT ITS A BUNCH OF 18 - 23 YEAR OLDS JUST TRYING TO SCAM ALL OF YOU. THERE A BUNCH OF ###TERS AND THERE GOING TO TAKE YOUR MONEY. THEY HAVE YOU BRING PAPERS AND PENS TAKE NOTES AND STUFF THEY SAY YOU DONT SELL ANYTHING YOU RUN AN OFFICE AND THEY LIE BECAUSE THEN THEY PAIR YOU UP WITH PEOPLE CALLED THE "O DOGS" THERE THE ONES TRAINING ALREADY AND YOU GO BUSINESS TO BUSINESS SELLING ITS A SCAM A LIE AND THEY WILL TAKE YOUR INFORMATION. I FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT GOING!!

12th of Jul, 2008

wow i just went for my second interview today and they said i got the job, but i go on the internet and im seeing fraud reports...im kind of scared. i dont know what i should do i think ill go the first day just to see if all the [redacted]s are true, if they are im not going back...im glad i saw this...man i thought i was going to be getting an app. with my new husband, i guess not now. well see

• J0
      22nd of Jul, 2008

THiS COMPANy iS SO FULL oF SH**! i WENT AND WAS GiViN A FiRST iNTERViEW, THEy SAiD THEy WOULD CALL ME THAT NiGHT iF i WAS GiViN A SECOND iNTERViEW AND THEy SAiD "CONGRATULATiONS yOU GOT A SECOND iNTERViEW" SO i WAS EXCiTED iM NOT GOiNG TO LiE! i WENT BACk FOR A SECOND iNTERViEW THEy HAD A HUGE GROUP OF PEOPLE! THE FiRST DAy WE SEEN ONLy THE ""NiCE"" PART OF THE OFFiCE THEN FOR THE SECOND iNTERViEW THEy TAkE yOU iN A GARAGE! WiTH HOLES iN THE WALL AND STUFF SiTTiNG ON CHAiRS WERE ONE GiRL FELL AND BROkE iT CUz THERE NOT STURDy! THEN THEy EXPLAiN ALL THE GOOD STUFF THEy CALL TWO PEOPLE AT A TiME yOU GO iN THE NiCE OFFiCE THEy SAy yOU GOT THE JOB yOU HAVE TO FiLL OUT AN APPLiCATiON iT ASkS FOR yOUR LiCENSE PLATE NUMBER yOUR CAR MAkE AND MODEL A LiL TO MUCH iNFO! THEN yOU GO FOR A FEW DAyS yOU HAVE TO TAkE A NOTEBOOk AND PEN AND TAkE NOTES THEN ONE DAy OUT OF NO WHERE yOUR ### iS ON THE STREETS GOiNG COMPANy TO COMPANy SELLiNG THERE PERFUME THAT iS A "kNOCkoFF" THEy SAiD "LARRy HAN" CREATED THE COMPANy yEA i DiD SOME RESEARCH ON HiM AND FOUND! [[NOTHiNG]] A LiL STRANGE! THERE LiARS, i HEARD FRAUD ALLiGATiONS, ALL THE PEOPLE THAT WORk iN THERE ARE kiNDA WiERD AND i THiNK iTS ALL FAkE THEy HAVE yOU SELL PERFUME TO yOUR FAMiLY AND FRiENDS FOR 5 DOLLARS OFF AND THEN WHEN yOU GO BACk TO GET THE PERFUME THEy NEVER GiVE iT TO yOU! iTS ALL A LiE DONT EVEN WAiST yOUR TiME i GOTTA GiVE iT TO THEM THOUGH THEy ARE PERSWASiVE AND THEy DO MAkE iT SOUND LiKE THE BEST OPPORTUNiTY EVER THEy HiRE PEOPLE EVERy MONDAy ASk THEM!! THATS BECAUSE EVERyONE ENDS UP LEAViNG CUz iTS A SCAM !

DONT EVEN BOTHER!!!

• Ba
      4th of Sep, 2008

I went for the so-called interview today. They are located three minutes from my home so it was not a total waste of time. After seeing the "interview process" where no application is required and "God forbid" you walk in with a resume or salary history. They have no clue what to do with it. I came home and started my internet research and low and behold here I am. They are to call me between 5:00-6:00 PM this evening for a second interview. Well, GUESS WHAT it is not going to happen. I just hope all the other interviewees do their research. Thanks for the all the info - keeping it going!!

• In
      11th of Sep, 2008

After reading all of this I'm hesistant about the training process that they said we would have to go through. All of what I've researched and by these comments, I c0nclude that these people are fake. Well I'm going in on Monday to ask my questions...lets see what they say.

• Er
      19th of Sep, 2008

damn good thing i didnt go fake ### mutha###azzz
    trying to make a ### think that hes gonna have an oppurtunity to work then they come wit the mega twist ### that ### ... im a tell em tommorow thats foul scam artist but every one got they hustle but dont play wit my emotions

• Er
      19th of Sep, 2008

na i dont agree wit that ### ### that

17th of Oct, 2008

I used to be considered a Jr partner in the glendora office. The only reason I did not finish training is because I relocated. If you go through the process youdo succeed. In my time there I saw offices open and succeed. Manny and Juan are the best bosses I can say I have ever had. When going through rough times they were there for me and help in any way they possibly can. Do the program u can earn money I made in commission 300-500 a week. It is not hard to do as long as you work hard. Google scentura better and you will find the success stories and the real benefits of this opportunity.

• Du
      28th of Nov, 2008

This scam is happening here in St. Louis too! I feel like such an idiot. Wished I did some research before but I had my first interview on Monday (yes, this past Monday), my second interview with about 30 people on Wednesday and we had to call them between 3:30-4:30 to see if we were accepted. They were going to hire about 17 people and training is to start on Monday! Everything that I have read so far from Knoxville, TN, California, Las Vegas.
    Most disturbing is that they have all my information, car make, license plate number, drivers license number and SSN!
    I don't think I'm going to go on Monday - especially after reading all this! I'm really scared, mad and wished I know what to do about it.

• Pr
      31st of Dec, 2010

wow!!! how did everyone find out it was a scam???

31st of Dec, 2010

I forgot i had posted on here before until I received an email tonight. Please I was blinded and agree do not do it. There are successful people in this business but they had to go completely broke in order to do so. Some even ending up on the streets with hope n dreams of riches. The office I worked in is no longer there along with others. They mass hire so that they can sell the perfume n stay open. I did learn good management skills but that is all I learned from this. They dont ask for ss# because they dont check backgrounds if they ask for it dont give it. DONT DO IT!!! Remember if it sounds to good to be true it usually is. Find a job where you actually get paid not make money for someone else