SBC Worldwide / False conference registration

80 Broad Street, 5th Floor, NY10004New York, NY, United States Review updated:
4.65
Phone: (212) 505-9000
Invoice raised for attendance at a conference I had not registered for (and didn't have any knowledge of prior to receiving the invoice). The Invoice was (cunningly) sent to the accounts payable section of the University Finance Office rather than directly to me, and could have been paid but for this office redirecting a query about payment to me directly.

Absolute con!
Ew

Comments

Va
  6th of Nov, 2008
Just received an invoice for a healthcare technology event 'Healthcare Technology 2009. I never signed up for any such event. It is supposedly in April (27-29) of 2009. Event is 1779.95, but they graciously gave me a 20% early registration discount, so my final amount was $1423.96. The website is a shell (only a top-level page, no company info) and when you call the phone number, any extension takes you to voicemail.
Dy
  7th of Nov, 2008
This is an international scam. Invoices are being send to companies in Germany for events that don't exist with a small print that this invoice is only provisional. I guess there are always a few % of companies who pay anyway.
Ki
  7th of Nov, 2008
I received a similar invoice for a "Lighting Technology 2009" event taking place April 20th, 2009. Same amout being billed and no record on our end of someone who may of signed up for any such event.
Ho
  10th of Nov, 2008
Same here - we received from them an invoice for "Semiconductor Technology 2009" (event date May 14-15, 2009).
Invoice over $1.779.95 with a 20% early registration discount. So the final amount was $1423.96.
There is definitely no one in our company who registered for such an event (such an event can't be found on the Internet...)
So be careful when you receive such invoice - it is a clear fraud!
Je
  10th of Nov, 2008
Amazing, have gotten these kind before but this one had a name of senior manager who might actually attend a conference on this subject (or was it just an coincidence). Thanks for posting, helped confirm this was a scam.
De
  10th of Nov, 2008
I am from Singapore, and have received a similar invoice from sbc worldwide, for a Renewable Energy Summit 2009, for which we did not register for. They even put down the date of the event, and gave us 20% discount for early registration. They also attentioned it to the accounts payable. When l sent emails to enquiry, there was no reply. I called several times and it could not get through too.
Sa
  11th of Nov, 2008
We have also received an invoice for a conference about Advanced Solar Energy that does not exist. The website is just a one pager landing page. I went looking for details of the conference as our guys knew nothing about it and they do attend a lot of conferences.
Ka
  11th of Nov, 2008
We can add to this complaint too, as we received an invoice for delegate registration for an event we had not registered for either. SBC Worldwide appears to be very busy with their 'con' by sending these invoices directly to "Accounts Payable" and again, like others, we received a 20% early registration discount. Luckily we read this article on a 'Google search' for this company and now we have been able to pre-warn others within our University of these rogue invoices.
Sa
  11th of Nov, 2008
Just received an invoice for a Biotechnology Partnering 2009 Conference. No name on the invoice but it looks completely normal in every other way. Tried to call and email the company but just voicemail and no reply to the email. I have asked everyone in my Company but no one has registered for this and the event does not exist. Definite scam but clever as they appear to be tailoring the invoices to match the interests and activities of receipient companies.
Cr
  11th of Nov, 2008
We just received one for Real Estate Investment 2009 with the same pricing.
Su
  12th of Nov, 2008
We have received the same invoice for a conference, addressed to accounts payable. No response to phone calls.
Gi
  14th of Nov, 2008
Just think it is worth noting that the website you list at the top of the page is nothing to do with the company you are all complaining about.

SBC Worldwide or variants on the name are scammers and are based in New York, USA

sbc-worldwidevacations.co.uk is a family owned travel company based in the UK who will, no doubt soon be instructing its lawyers to sue for defamation.
Ze
  16th of Nov, 2008
We received a similar invoice for a conference registration we had no idea of. Fortunately because the conference was to be held overseas, it alerted us.
Va
  18th of Nov, 2008
This invoice, for the same amount (1, 423.96) as reported in an earlier was for a May 7-8 2009 conference - Retail Technology 2009. What tipped us off was the invoice was just sent to 'Accounts Payable' and did not mention anyone specifically who was planning to attend. Also, we have attended this conference in the past, and have always obtained free access so the fact that we were being asked to pay in advance raised a red flag.

Beware - do not pay this invoice!!! They are fishing for money paid out by unsuspecting A/P departments.
Ma
  19th of Nov, 2008
I have received a invoice from them too for a Technology Transfer conference and it even had my name on it. Same as everyone it has been sent to Accounts payable. I tried to lookup who SBC Wordwide is but they have hidden their domain registration information too. SBC Worldwide is a scam company and I hope everyone is able to Google about them before.

One interesting piece of information: The letter in which their invoice came has a stamp of Buffalo, NY.
An
  25th of Nov, 2008
We had the exact thing happen, SBC Worldwide sent us an invoice to an event in 2009 that we had not signed up for. It was sent directly to the Accounts Payable department!

We will boycott all SBC Worldwide events in the future. This is the most underhanded business practice I've seen in a while.
Ja
  1st of Dec, 2008
They sent our company an invoice as well. Has anyone turned them in?
Kr
  3rd of Dec, 2008
We got one too for Contact Center Technology 2009. Where do we go to turn them in? Anyone know? Better Business Bureau?