Save Mart` / Selling expired food!

Lathrop, CA, United States Review updated:
2.5
Phone: 209 8584798
This store has a history of selling food that that has either expired or gone bad. Over the past year I have made at least 6 complaints to Save Mart management. This November of 07 I first complained about a package of beef I had bought one day and the following day I opened up the package of beef and my wife started to gag over the smell. I complained to the company headquarters and got no where. Again this November 21, 07, I pick up a dozen eggs that had a sell date of November 15th the eggs were one week over their sell by date. There was an entire bin full of the expired eggs for sell on the shelf. I took a dozen of these eggs to the assistant manager Marine Fields and placed the eggs in her hands and asked her for an explanation. She kept repeating over and over have a "happy Holiday" she had nothing else to say. I again complained to the company headquarters. I was told someone would get back to me. That never happened. Other issues include spoiled roast beef, spoiled steaks and there specialty is rotten ground beef.

A year ago we bought a package of sliced processed ham. After eating a sandwich made of the ham we noticed the sell date was one month before. I contacted the main office, they requested the bar code information which I gave them. It was confirmed that it was sold one month past the sell by date. For this we received a $5.00 gift certificate. Our problem is that this Save Mart is close to where we live. We do not have much of a choice where to shop. We only ask that we get what we pay for and nothing else. We want this store to be more responsible to their customers and not to cheat us out of our hard earned money by selling expired and rotten food to us.

Comments

Mi
  19th of Dec, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Hi, I work for SaveMart. In the Meat Dept. First off, "rotten meat" is the number one complaint in our department. The only problem is, nobody but Meat Personnel knows when meat is rotten. Smell works for dairy, not for meat. Meat that has been cryowrapped and has a leak will smell terrible! But, you don't eat it raw, you cook it and, hopefully, season it as well. Smell is strictly an opinion. You say it stinks, we say it smells fine. And of course, you're right, and the butchers with 35 years experience are wrong. Secondly, typically someone will file a few complaints and then never shop at that establishment again. You, on the other hand, almost seem to shop simply to complain. We see you're kind on a regular basis, check every package for code compliancy and smell everything in the counter. What do you wish to accomplish? Lastly, let everyone here know what you paid for all of these "expired" products. If you had time to check a whole rack of eggs for code dates, how did you manage to buy expired meat? My guess is that you shop the Markdown section where meat has begun to show color due to lack of oxygen (brown to green coloration, NOT spoilage!) and got it at a screaming cheap price. If you have A complaint, feel free to announce it. But do not, under any circumstances feel that you are the foremost expert on meat and will lead an attack on SaveMart stores. Good day.