Saturn of Mesquite / Bad service

1 15900 Interstate 635Mesquite, TX, United States Review updated:

My car would not start, so I charged the battery over night, then drove the car into the service department the following morning, 10/01/07.

Upon arrival, a service advisor (a slender, dark haired male whose name is not listed on the invoice) looked at the car�s dashboard and filled out a form stating that the dash security light is lit and that both the battery and alternator need to be tested.

Minutes later, I watched as a mechanic (male with long blonde hair) plugged an electronic hand-held diagnostic unit into the vehicle beneath the steering wheel. When finished, he walked over to me and stated that he received three trouble codes from the car relating to the car�s power.

Several minutes later, after the mechanic tested the alternator, the �unnamed� service advisor informed me that that both the alternator and battery were defective and needed to be replaced.

Around 3:00 PM the same day, I received a phone call from a male service advisor (not sure whom) and was told he just received the alternator from Hurst and that the repairs would not be completed until the following morning.

The next morning, 10/02/07, I received another call from a male service advisor (not sure whom) and was told he had �some bad news.� Both the alternator and battery were replaced, but now �all the lights on the dashboard are going crazy� and that the �BCM� needs to be replaced.

The next day, afternoon of 10/03/07, when I arrived to pick up the car, I spoke with two service advisors, Mike Deergear (who acted as a member of management) and the initial �unnamed� service advisor.

I asked them why I was not informed on 10/01, when I first brought in the car, that the BCM was defective. Mike said that they didn�t know it was �fried� until both the alternator and battery were both replaced and that the mechanic had not received a trouble code using the diagnostic unit until after the initial repairs.

These assertions are absurd, because on 10/01, I was informed three trouble codes had been received, but nothing about a �BCM� was mentioned.

Next, I asked both advisors what a BCM does. They said it controls many of the electronic functions of the car such as the horn, headlights, and dashboard warning lights.

This too indicates foul play, because when I initially drove in the car on 10/01, all aforementioned functions were operating as normal. The only thing odd with the car�s electronics, was that the �security� dashboard light was constantly lit. I informed the advisors that this light has been on for about the last six months and that other service advisors and mechanics have commented on it, but never diagnosed why it was so (except for tires, all maintenance and repairs have been performed at Saturn of Mesquite).

Also, in a dishonest attempt to explain why all of a sudden the BCM was found to be defective a day after the car was dropped off; Mike said the diagnostic device was not used on the car until the next day. When I reminded him I personally observed it being used and discussed it�s results with the mechanic on the morning I brought the car in, he recanted his claim.

Next, he told me that I had �fried� the BCM myself by charging the battery overnight and that the battery was literally smoking when the car was brought in.

Both of these claims are blatantly false. When I brought the car in, none of the symptoms of a bad BCM were evident to either me or the unnamed advisor (erratic headlights, horn, etc). In addition, the battery never �smoked.� I even asked the unnamed advisor right then and there if he witnessed any smoke and he honestly replied, �no.�

My wife and I believe one of two fraudulent acts took place: Either the BCM was never defective or the BCM was damaged while in Saturn of Mesquite�s custody.

Va

Comments

• Ke
      1st of Feb, 2009

First off you never say how many miles are on your car. Any mechanic can tell you that sometimes you have to fix one problem only to find another. This is true for anyone who fixes things. Sounds to me like they did a great followup to let you know what was going on every step of the way.

• Ex
      15th of Sep, 2009

I have bought my last 4 cars from Saturn of Mesquite, and had them all serviced there. I dealt with the same sales person and same service mgr over the years. I never had a problem until this past year (new management?). I had trouble with knocking and "get up and go". I called to make an appointment, and sight unseen, they said i needed a new fuel pump. They said I would have to pay for it for them to order it, and it would take about a week. I said that I would rather them see it first before I ordered a part. He rudely informed me that I would still have to wait a week for the pump. And that it would cost over 300 just for the part. Within the next few days the car was leaking raw gas so bad, I was almost overcome by the fumes with all the windows and the sunroof open. I made it to the gas station, and filled up. I was losing gas so fast, the next day I had to stop at the first garage from my house. They said it was the fuel pump leaking. I could see the trail of gasoline, anyway. Called around, found out that Saturn of Lewisville had "the part". Borrowed a car, drove out there, bought it, and took it back to the garage where i had stopped. They showed me the old part. Looked to me like a welding issue on the small part where the hoses go into. Had the same thing happen with the new fuel pump. The service guy at Saturn (tallish, dark hair, Phd in patronizing and sarcasm) said that the guys installing it must have cracked it...(on the exact same place the original pump had the problem.) He said that they do not warranty their parts. And I would have to pay for another fuel pump. P.S. A guy from another Saturn said that they could not keep this part in stock they have had to change out so many. Also, my sister who also drives a Saturn ION started having the same problem. Needless to say, she did not go to Saturn to have it fixed. Ended up trading it in for a foreign car with a better reliability rating. I must say I regret my referrals to Saturn of Mesquite. Within the last year, I have had no less than four people I have referred there complain about bad service and disreputable practices. They are no longer the company they once were.