Saturn of Bowie - Saturn ION / Saturn ION sucks!

16600 Governor Bridge RoadBowie, MD, United States Review updated:
1.65
Phone: 800-571-0237

Power Steering keeps going out no matter how fast or slow I drive. My car just cut off in the middle of the street one day and the battery light was on. My car makes a terrible crunching sound going over small bumps in the freezing cold. I just found out that this car has a lot of complaints about power steering and sway bar brushing and linkage. My warranty is about to expire and I don't have the money to fix such a dangerous car. I'll never buy another Saturn and will tell everybody I know to never by a Saturn car the SUCK!!!
Va

Comments

P
  6th of Mar, 2008
Check the serpentine belt -- both the belt itself and everything that makes it fit tight -- that belt works with both the power steering and the battery light. If your "terrible crunching sound" is on the front, passenger side of the engine then this could also be the serpentine belt.
Al
  24th of Mar, 2008
I feel your pain. We have two 04 Ions in my household and it also makes that horrible sound when we go over bumps in the cold. My sway bar already collapsed once on me. My car is currently dead in my drive way right now and won't start.

On the plus side, when your car is still under warrenty, the service at Saturn is awesome.
Ob
  28th of Mar, 2008
Richard,

You do not mention how old your Saturn ION is, or how many miles are on it. If you bought a used car, you should think of it as a life-lesson. Buying a used car is like buying somebody else’s problems.

However, if you purchased your ION brand new, like I did mine, then simply get it fixed free under the 36 month b2b warranty, as Allison suggests.

Thus far (4 months after purchase), my 2007 Saturn ION has given me no issues. I find it to be quiet and smooth riding, spacious and comfortable, inexpensive to own, and I really enjoy the MP3 capability of the CD player and MP3 input jack. The '0% interest for 72 months' financing is a nice bargain as well. However, if it were a lemon, I would trade it in before the warranty ran out.

For vehicle reliability ratings, visit ConsumerReports.org.

O_A
Ma
  10th of Mar, 2009
Naturally, once the warranty ended the issues started. I have the same power steering problem that seems to be going around. There is a click from the dashboard and then the power steering fails.
I have checked and replaced the two under hood fuses, and now I am examining the driver side fuse set. It seems to me, however, that a blown fuse does not permit the power steering to come back once you restart the car.

Anyone have any suggestions on what goes 'click' and then kills the powere steering, but is also able to be reset? I am thinking some sort of relay switch.
Pe
  16th of Jun, 2009
### all that my saturn went bad after the warr so that leaves me just ###ed and thats why i'm searching why my power steering goes out and can't find a answer if there is a answer please tell me e-mail me at mexipez1999@yahoo.com i need help screw saturn here on out
Te
  6th of Nov, 2009
You need a new motor that is on the colum.