Saturn ION 2004Poor Customer Service

J Review updated:

Heard a noise. Took car to dealer. Told me it was motor for alarm system. Also told me that an ignition switch and gasket needed to be replaced. I did everything costing me $760.00. One month later, I drove car to pharmacy and the cars theft lock came on and I had to tow the car $89.00. No theft or anyone touched the car. I was told it was the alarm. At that time, I asked was it to do with the ignition switch. No I was told. It was the alarm. Not two hours after they said NO did I receive another call from dealer service saying it was the ignition switch housing not the alarm. Charged $373.71 for that plus 89.00 for towing. I believe the damage was done when replacing the ignition switch by Saturn and after the last visit the COOLANT chime comes on regularly when the car does not need coolant. However, I will not take my car backs to them. I will trade it in and buy foreign because of this situation. Saturn prides themselves on "Customer Service". Do not use or buy from Saturn located at 11750 Old Katy Road. Please spread the word.

• T
      Nov 06, 2009

ignition switches are common. Epically in the cold weather. either replace it or just wait 5 min and it will start. I know a pain. The coolant issue is due to the coolant sensor in the bottle. No rhyme or reason it goes bad but they do.

• P
      Dec 23, 2009

Alarm systems are normally wired into the ignition. I believe the original repair was legit. However, the $462.71 charged for the second repair was a ripoff, because they clearly [censored]ed up the first repair and should have corrected it at no cost to you. It may be worth filing a complaint or going to small claims.

As for the coolant sensor, that was unrelated. In fact, if it were my car, I'd probably just remove the daggone thing, because if you are checking your coolant on a regular basis, it's not even necessary. A part of the problem is that we keep inventing these dumb gadgets that make us lazier -- and more gadgets mean more things to break.

The only GMs I buy are Chevys and Pontiacs. They are built to last and don't cost too much. Cadillacs and Buicks are overpriced, and Saturns just suck. My in-laws also have an Ion, and it broke down less than a thousand miles after they took it home.

That's my two cents.