Satellite Direct Ltd / Sat cover

1 Imperium House, BN18 0DFArundel, England, West Sussex, United Kingdom Review updated:

On 28th January 2009, I had my regular direct debit taken out for £12.99 and another charge of £49.99.
When I rang for an explanation all they could offer was that It must be a "mistake". They have agreed to credit my account.
I am writing this in case you recieve other such comlaints.

Comments

• Pt
      18th of Feb, 2009

I have just had the same happen to me. after making several phone call i was promised a full refund and a cheque would be sent out. still nothing

18th of Feb, 2009

Same thing happened to me! I am trying to get my money back and trying to cancel. They are very dodgy! I will be complaining to watchdog and the trading standards.

• St
      20th of Feb, 2009

I also had £49.99 taken on the same day as my usual DD. Only now do I realise I have no contact details for the company. I immediatly cancelled my DD, as it probably isn't worth having the cover.

• Tw
      23rd of Feb, 2009

Same thing happened to my dad. As a direct result he is now getting charged £63 by the bank. He is a pensioner and can't afford this so I will be cancelling his DD too. I am currently on hold and have been for the past 36 minutes. This company is useless, avoid it like the plague!

23rd of Feb, 2009

Exactly the same happened to me on the 12 Feb. My normal direct debit came out along with an extra £49.99! . Unfortunately this was not the case and it took my account overdrawn and almost costing me extra in charges. initially i thought this was my sky digital bill which is why i let the payment go trough

This is ridiculous, and on top of this i have been calling all day to no answer .. as a single parent i can not afford this and am scared i may not get this back, i shall be stopping this dd asap !!

• Gr
      24th of Feb, 2009

Exactly the same thing happened to me on the 2nd feb 2009. They said it was their mistake and I would get a refund immediately. One week later, no refund. They then said I get the refund in 7 to 14 'Working' days (i.e. close on 3 weeks), and said it would definately be back in my account on the 23rd. Still not there on the 24th. They are now impossible to contact - you just get put on hold forever. I have now discussed this with my bank and they are going to give me back my £49.99 - and they are going to go after Satellite Direct to re-claim the money. I would suggest that all of you out of pocket should try the same. I have, of course, cancelled my Direct Debit

• On
      3rd of Mar, 2009

I've just had the same thing happen last week 26th feb. A Woman called Christine phoned and said would I like to take out their new offer of a two year contract and the third year would be free, it would cost £250.00. I said no thanks i'll keep the same that i've had for a couple of years which was £10.00 a month. She had all my details including my policy number etc. and then said can I check your card details, stupidly I went through them with her. I then checked my bank account and she had taken £20.00 out straight away, you can't get hold of them, they keep you hanging on for ages I cancelled my card with the bank. I then realized that my dd was still set up, so i cancelled it. Today they've tried to take out £100. If I hadn't cancelled my card I think they would have taken more. I have reported it to the West sussex police who are looking into it. EVERYONE cancel your dd straight away and if they've taken money they shouldn't report it to the police.

• Do
      4th of Mar, 2009

I have also been 'ripped off' by these people. After several phone calls (only actually getting through twice) I was promised that my £49.99 would be reimbursed. Not a hope. I did however ring my bank LLoydsTSB who were extremely helpful and said they would put in a claim against these con artists and the bank would put the money back into my bank.
    I have stopped the direct debit to them and will go with Sky themselves as I was before with no trouble. These people must make a great deal of money through fraudulant means and there must be some way to put them out of business or at least expose them for what they are. They have already been to court for misrepresentation with their telephone sales

• Js
      4th of Mar, 2009

Same thing happened to me - took £49.99 out of my account by DD on 9 Feb. I just phoned my bank and they will be putting the money back into my bank account immediately. It seems that banks have to do this under the direct debit indemnity guarantee. The bank then has to try to claim it back from Satellite Direct. My bank said they had had loads of calls on this. Don't bother going to the trouble or expense of calling Satellite Direct. Please make sure you cancel the DD.

4th of Mar, 2009

The same thing has happened to me today, beware though that if your bank cannot get the money back from them the bank will want it back from you. However the banks should be more successful than us poor customers.

• Bo
      4th of Mar, 2009

Under the rules of the Direct Debit Scheme, should any money be taken in error, then the customer's bank or building society must, on request, make an immediate refund to the customer's account. This is the Direct Debit Guarantee. This covers situations where the originator has not given the required advance notice regarding a change of amount or date. It also protects customers should an incorrect amount be debited or if a debit occurs earlier than the specified, agreed date, or in error.

• Bo
      4th of Mar, 2009

tweet : the bank will need to refund the incorrect DD amount and any charges that they made because the DD pushed your dad into overdraft.

• Na
      4th of Mar, 2009

We used to pay £10 per month by DD to Sat Cover but upon checking my statement we have been charged £12.99 per month by DD since December 2008 and today a charge of £129.90 has been taken by DD. Subsequently we will be calling the company tomorrow and I will cancel by DD immediately. Diane

• Ju
      5th of Mar, 2009

my mum has been paying sat cover ltd £6.50 a month for years and thinking she had cover phones up sky only to be told she has no cover. I have now told her to cancel the direct debit. Something needs to be done how many people are being ripped of by sat cover ltd. Can anyone giv me a phone number for sat cover ltd pls.

5th of Mar, 2009

I too had £49.99 taken from my account as well as my normal amount on 9th February.I have received a refund today. I have cancelled my direct debit and sent letter of complaint with a copy to Digital Satellite Warranty Cover in Merseyside who sent the original agreement documents.
    Julie - the number you want is 08702 245777

Ann

• Ha
      9th of Mar, 2009

Bank statements came thro' Saturday. DD of £6.50 increased to £65. On to the bank straightaway. Bank gave a tel.no for this company which after hanging on for 20mins it dawned on me that this was probably a con. and a waste of my time and money. Back to the bank who this time indicated that mine was not an isolated case. I therefore immediately cancelled the DD and the bank said I would be refunded and they will claim from Satcover.

Have tried this morning before reading your e mails a few company tel nos (plenty to choose from) to inform them what I have done but it is obviously a waste of time etc.

Advice - same as given before. Get onto the bank and get the DD cancelled pronto.

• Vi
      11th of Mar, 2009

Same thing happened to me - took an extra £49.99 out of my account by DD on 19 Feb.I just phoned my bank and and stop all dd to them they will be putting the money back into my bank account

Victor G

19th of Mar, 2009

hi same thing has happened to my partner took an extra £49.99 out of bank which has now gone overdrawn and have got bank charges of £60 due to 2 direct debits not being able to be paid. Hes a disabled man who cant afford this extra money. gonna get in contact with trading standards and and watchdog just think.how amount money this company have stolen from there customers ????

• Pa
      23rd of Mar, 2009

Same old story I'm afraid, 'Satcover' took £49.99 out of my account on 13th Feb along with my normal payment of £6.50. After contacting them for the second time and asking the question 'where's my refund', I was told that everything was in the hands of their accounts department but I should recieve a refund. I was' offered' two months 'free' cover for the inconvinience...Then after reading all the comments on this page I decided enough was enough...I contacted my bank, told them the problem (ironically it was the second call the advisor had had today about the same problem with this company). The Bank were more than helpful, they would refund the money to my account within 2 days and claim the money back from Satcover. They also cancelled my DD but informed me to contact the originator, Satcover, to tell them to cancel my DD also. If I did not do this then the bank told me that Satcover had the power to re-activate the DD. I contacted Satcover who sounded less than impressed and told me to submit the cancellation in writing. Job done!

• Ni
      26th of Mar, 2009

The same thing happened to me 49.99 taken from my account still trying to get my money back with no luck i kept ringing them.But they kept putting phone down on me, how do they get away with