SAR Kennels / Awful place

1 3969 Hwy 80 SouthLuling, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 830-743-4173

On the last weekend in June, 2008, SAR kennels sold me a sick, parasite infested dog which they claimed was in good health. I purchased the dog for $225. The seller indicated that the dog was in good health and to contact the owner if there were any problems. The seller stated that the owner was 'really good' about working with folks if anything was wrong with the dogs.

Immediately after purchasing the puppy, it expelled diarrhea in the parking lot. At the time I did not believe the seller to be deceptive and simply thought the diarrhea was from puppy anxiety. Prior to taking the puppy home, I also noticed a considerable rash on its belly. Upon taking the puppy home, I observed the puppy's stool continued to remain loose and discolored which indicated that the diarrhea was more than just puppy nerves.

On the following Monday, I contacted the Animal Hospital for an exam. They scheduled the exam for the next day as the earliest they could do the exam. The exam revealed that the dog was sick and required treatment. The puppy had an intestinal disease at the time of purchase. The dog required treatment and additional follow-up. The dog also had a foul odor to the face that was noticeable prior to me taking the dog home, which turned out to be an ear infection that had gone untreated. The rash turned out to be from probable ant -bites which fortunately were minor, but adding the pieces together, it is apparent that this dog was not taken care of and not in good health at time of purchase.

I contacted the phone-number provided on the receipt per the seller's instructions. The person who answered identified herself as Sandy. I informed Sandy that the dog I purchased was sick at the time of purchase. Sandy immediately became agitated and responded tersely, ''What do you want me to do?'' Apparently this was a rhetorical question because she hung up on me when I attempted to discuss this with her.

Throughout the brief conversation, I was very polite, even-toned and professional. Sandy was rude and unwilling to listen to my concerns and refused to even acknowledge the possibility of working with me on this concern. This puppy was purchased in good faith that it would be in good health just as the seller said. The puppy's illness was not preventable by the buyer (me) because it had the condition at time of purchase.

It appears that the seller has so far been able to successfully navigate around laws that attempt to build minimal care standards for alleged puppy-mills. I am not aware of whether walker abides by USDA licensing requirements or avoids them by selling directly to consumers. Of course, with lack of USDA inspectors and minimal fines, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

The website provided by the seller appears to depict a family oriented establishment which appears to me to be misleading. A reputable agency would have at the very least taken the time to hear a consumer' concerns and would show some grain of empathy and concern for the dog's health. The rigidness of walker's response gives the strong appearance that SAR kennels is not a credible agency.

I would have been more than willing to go in half on the medicine that the dog should have received prior to me purchasing it. I had hoped that walker would have presented herself and this agency in a more professional manner but walker chose otherwise. I certainly would not have agreed to purchase this dog if I had known it was sick and I certainly don't appreciate being treated so shabbily on the phone when I conducted myself in a professional, even-toned manner. I still believe this could have easily been worked out over the phone if I would have just been given the chance.

The dog was sick on the day of purchase. If it was well and got sick later and developed an ear infection later, this would not be an issue to me. My main concern is that this doesn't happen to other customers. This can be avoided by telling the potential buyer if the dog is sick as this dog clearly was.

This way, the potential buyer can make an informed decision. And if things slip through the cracks and a customer does call with concerns, treat the customer with respect on the phone. Situations like this can be easily mitigated if the seller's concerns are the welfare of the puppy and keeping a happy customer, and not just making a fast buck.

I contacted the BBB and attempted to work through this issue but as soon as the BBB stopped their involvement, the seller stopped her dialogue.

Va

Comments

• Ds
      26th of Jan, 2009

Thank you, I am looking for a blue heeler and considered SAR Kennels. I have learned to trust my instincts and after talking with Sandy got the wierdest feeling that things were off. I currently work for a local news station and will make an appointment and investigate. If SAR Kennels is any other type of orginization I will handle promtly. SAR Kennels breeds three different breed of dog? This was the first flag. We will see how this turns out. Thanks, D Campos

• Ww
      1st of Feb, 2009

U suck that place is the best place to purchase a dog.

• Jh
      11th of Jun, 2009

I also purchased a sick dog from this place. The owners would not return any of my emails or phone calls.

D Campos: Did you ever investigate this? What was the outcome?
    If you look at their site they actually breed 13 types of dogs!

• Do
      17th of Sep, 2009

Sounds to me like Sar Kennels is a place to be avoided and to let everyone possible know how they appear to be. Also a not to D Campos, as was asked earlier, did you ever investigate this and what was the outcome?

1st of Feb, 2010

i bought a puppy from a dealer at the local flea market (i know this is not the smartest way to go). i saw the puppy, a mini dachshund, talked to the dealer for a while, saw the shot records, and the page with the kennels name. i looked up the kennel on the net on my i-phone and it looked legit. so i purchased the puppy and by the time i got home he was doing diarrhea with blood spots in it. i purchased the puppy at 3pm and had him to the vet by 10 am the next day. the vet diagnosed him with giardia. when i called the number the woman was very rude and laughed at me when i said i was going to contact the humane society. this is definately a puppy mill she has more than 13 types of dogs and i plan on following through with contacting the spca of austin. DONT BUY FROM THIS CRAZY OLD LADY!!!

• Ca
      26th of Feb, 2010

I bought a corgi from them in Dec 2009 and have had no complaints other than that she has longer legs but she is adorable and I have registered her with Continental Kennel Club. The owners were very helpful and patient with me while I & my husband tried to choose between 2 of them, letting us play with them call our children and just plain helpful. I can understand why people would write such nasty things about them, or their kennels they are truly sweet and very helpful. I will return to buy another dog from them in the future.

• Ou
      26th of Mar, 2010

Stay away from this place. It's a puppy mill!! I got a sick Shiz Tzu from them. She's positive for Sarcoptic Mange which is VERY contagious even to people! They won't return my calls. I have contacted the Guadalupe County Sheriff dept. as well as animal control. I am calling the WOAI next! These people need to be stopped!

• Cr
      11th of Apr, 2010

It is sad to hear that people like these get away with these type of problems. I purchased a Shiz Tzu back in January 2010 and overall my puppy was healthy and i really loved him. unfortunately these pathetic thiefs yanked my dog from me and took of running with it. i had intended on getting another shih tzu, but i do appreciate the comments here, because i rather go another route than risk getting a sick puppy, especially having children.

17th of Oct, 2011

I bought a "corgi" from SAR kennels and it was clear she wasn't a purebred but I wasn't charged full AKC price and the dog was very cute. I communicated directly with Sandy and she was nice and personable but I can understand if she were to come off rude to other people. The puppy I bought turned out to be the best dog I have ever owned but that would be due to the hard work I put into her. The puppies were supposed to be well-socialized and all this great stuff that buyers look for and she was opposite of everything the website listed. The only good thing about that is the fact that my dog rarely barks but she has all the attributes that makes a corgi a corgi, minus the fact she has a little head and long legs. If you were looking for a a purebred puppy, I wouldn't go there. However, if I ever wanted another dog like the one I currently own, I would probably go back.