Santander Consumer USAillegal practices and consumer harrassment

Class action lawsuit... Please go here and join the class action lawsuite that is forming agains santander consumer usa d/b/a drive financial. Every story will help make this company follow legal procedures.

Comments

• He
      Dec 05, 2009

Here is the website: http://www.sueeasy.com/class_action_detail.php?case_id=373

• Tr
      Dec 01, 2018

@heart4kidz The Link is Broken

• Au
      Dec 05, 2009
    Best Best Advice

I agree and they are a riffoff. Please tell me how to join the lawsuit in progress. I will jump on it quickly. They should be put out of business fast

Dec 15, 2009

I have had nothing but problems ever since Santander bought my loan from the original bank. Customer service reps are rude, not helpful, and tell me a different story every time I call. They continue to not credit my account when I try to make principal payments. How do I join with you guys?

• Cs
      Feb 04, 2010

I too have had nothing but problems since these folks took over my car note. I have had several notes in my time, and never had the issues I have with these people!!! Due to an error on their part, they show me as 30 days behind and refuse to work with me to resolve the issue...it is always an all or nothing attitude. They call me 3-4 times every day, including weekends. There has to be some violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act here somewhere!

Feb 06, 2010

That trifling company, Santander needs to be brought down. I've had enough of them. I am so thankful that I filed a complaint with the State of Virginia Consumer Protection Agency, State of Texas Attorney General's Office, and got an attorney to fight these people. At the end, they will be paying me for all of the stress, and emotional mental anguish they have put me through...They thought I wasn't going to fight back..WRONG!

Not to mention, the State of Virginia, and my attorney is asking them to provide accounting records, and to respond within 10 days. If not, legal action will be taken. That is going to be interesting. Plus, I'm seeking for them to pay me for the rental car I had to pay, cab fees, public transportation fees, attorney fees.

Also, they came to my residence, which has a readable sign that says: PRIVATE PROPERTY, no Tow Trucks allowed. They trespassed, and my rental manager told me that they had no business sending ANY type of service here without their permission...Can you spell violated? They tried to play western, and they illegally took my car, plus stole money out of my bank account. Santander/Drive day of bullying their customers, being unprofessional, lying, manipulating, stealing, taking advantage of people whom is trying to get their credit back on track, and may have paid for their loans 3 times the amount, and re-ruining customers credits...Well, Santander/Drive your days are numbered, and payback/karma is something else...You will reap what you sow! GOD SEES ALL!

I am happy that I stood up to you crooks, you don't deserve to be in business...YES I SAID IT! You will probably go bankrupt by paying all of the customers back that you stole from! When I get a new car, I will proudly say...Thank you, Santander/Drive! LOL!

Jan 01, 2018

@GettingEvenToday Do you have a number I can call

• Je
      Feb 15, 2019

@GettingEvenToday Who can I contact I have the same and have been having the same issues with this stupid company for months now.

Feb 11, 2010

I have a pending complaint filed with the FTC against Santander.
    Placing extra charges on my bill for no reason.
    When I give them my payment with the late fee I specifically write amount to be applied to the principal and late fee. Those idiots apply the entire payment to the principal and bill me for the late fee.
    If I miss the payment they call me up to 2 times a day using various phone numbers or show up on my caller ID as unavailable ( this is illegal if anyone from santandr is reading this !!! ) as well as calling me on weekends ( also illegal ).
    Us Davids have to work together to take this mighty goliath down. Lord have mercy.

• Ca
      Feb 20, 2010

We have a new loan with Santander and already realize there are distinct problems. No loan payment book, excessive charge for paying online or by phone. When one talks to a customer service rep, they just tell you to go to their website for answers. It appears these people are nothing more than legalized loan sharks. The upside is that no one will come and take a finger or whatever if you don't pay. It appears they are set up to make an individual fail at repaying their loans and ruining the individual's credit. How sad is that.

• Ed
      Feb 20, 2010

Hi, just found this site because our county police department told us to look them up on the internet. We found out in Jan that they had taken over, then the next thing that i knew we where 121 days late and we owed them almost 3, 000. Then they sent some man out here to repo the car he was half drunk. The second guy that they sent out here was just awful he told me he would get the car one way or another, he threatened us and told us he would be back. Then one Saturday night he came back and stoled the keys out of my truck that they dont hold the lein on, and i guess they told santander what the did, because i call santander and spoke to our representive and told them that when they brought our truck keys back she could have the car, she told me that, this is not going to work this way i would give them the car and the she would have the repo man hand us back the keys, then she 3 way called with the repo guy who has the keys and told him to come back out here we would give him the car then he was to give us the truck keys. But what they both don't know is that i was recording the conversation. She amitted that he took them and was holding them ramsom for the car. I have contact the police but would be interested in anything that i could do or help with to take this company down to following the law and the rules. I have been threatened and talked to just terrible and i think that they should have to mark our loans clean and clear and start doing right on there current loans. I can be notified by email if anyone would like to contact me, [protected]@yahoo.com. Good Luck To All and lets stand up for each other.

• Mr
      Feb 23, 2010

Oh my I just read the previous comment and am going through the same thing. I have been receiving phone calls up to 10 x's per day from these people. The took over my loan sometime last fall as well and I found I was consitently 80+ days past due and owe $2500 plus late fees. I too feel that something should be done to stop this company. The repo man that showed up at our house walked up on our porch with NO SHOES in the winter!! Just socks. How professional is that?? He threatened us that he was going to come back and get the vehicle no matter what. The best thing about this is I just made a payment on Thursday and was told that they would not send the repo man out. When I called customer service I spoke with the most rude unprofessional person I have ever come across. She stated to me that if I could lie about having the vehicle in my possesion that they could also lie to me. Needless to say If anyone knows of something I can do to get this from happening to someone else please let me know. I told them last night to come get the vehicle I am done. I also have disputed the payment I made with the bank. If there is any legal action I can take let me know as well. Thank you! I agree we all need to stand up for each other to put this joke of a company and its employees out of business.

• Ky
      Feb 24, 2010

I have complaints and questions ! Please contact me @ [protected]@phillipstelecomm.com or at [protected] . I need to get rid of thease people now !

• Ky
      Feb 24, 2010

Please contact me asap . They repoed my truck and I don't know if I should get it back or what they can doto me next for the balance, it's not worth it ! Thanks Kyle !

• Gb
      Feb 25, 2010

People, I feel your pain! My ex-husband has a vehicle that Santander took over on... it has been a nightmare getting them to understand that I don't have posession of the vehicle or make the payments on the vehicle! I understand why they are calling but they don't seem to listen when I tell them who they should be calling... I think the fact that they have a person to harrass is all that they need so they can say they talked to someone... Well, I have given up on this crap... they call me at work ... I refuse to answer their call.. thank god for caller id! I really hope the rest of you find some help and can get this awful company off your back! I'm in a difficult situation with them and at this point am just waiting for them to go and get the vehicle from my ex... not much I can do about it or really care to... Good luck everyone!

• Fa
      Mar 04, 2010

i agree with you all i have been drug through the mud by this company. my original loan also got sold to santander. i am lost as to what to do. they are constantly charging me penalties. I have paid over 4, 000.00 on my car loan that i have had since oct.2009 and i have only been late once and called and got a deferment. i found out yesterday when i tried to refinance through my local bank that i owe more for my car than it is worth. i am sick!! these people are complete crooks and i desperatly want to resolve this matter...someone please help!!

• Js
      Mar 10, 2010

I am glad you guys are taking this company through its ropes. Has any one been offered a loan re modification from them if you have please respond i have something to post in that regard.

Mar 18, 2010

I always send my payments early and didn't have a problem until this month. I sent my payment out on the forth of March, due on the eighth. On the ninth of march I got a call and online reminders about my payment had not been recieved and that my payment was late. I contacted Santander several times and asked why my payment had not posted yet, they stated that they didn't know but suggested i put a stop payment on that check and call in another. I didn't want to pay extra fees so I put a stop payment on the check and sent another.DUMB IDEA! Not only did they cash the first check, then the second, and even posted someone's check to my account so according to them I am paid up until July the eighth. Mean while My husbands account has rolled over by six hundred dollars.
    And after several useless calls to Santander, to Jazman, Gissle etc, I will gladly join in the fight with others against Santander/Drive Financial. [protected]@yahoo.com.

• Sh
      Mar 27, 2010

I used to have a loan through Sovereign Bank, which was bought out by Santander. Ever since then, my late fees have accrued to over $800 !!! My 2003 Jeep Liberty is only worth $5000 and my loan is now up to $7, 000 because of all of the fees. I have tried working with Sovereign after Santander, and Santander, and they have been rude and more than unhelpful. I moved from Delaware to Arizona summer of 2009, and it took me 2 mos to get them to release papers for be to verify to Department of Motor Vehicle that I do in fact have permission from Sovereign/Santander to register my vehicle in my own name! I am so lucky that I didn't get pulled over because I would have been screwed! I have tried numerous times to work with them and even find out if there has to be a ceiling on the fees as they will be close to $1, 000 soon. I don't know what else to do~! Please contact me at [protected], or email at [protected]@yahoo.com. I will gladly join the fight with other against Santander. What they are doing to consumers is unjust.

Mar 27, 2010

I was under the impression that I would be offered a re-modification on my loan. Instead, they stole/took my car, and sold it before I could even get the chance to get it back, nor was not given an opportunity to retrieve my belongings. I have given my attorney the green light to sue Santander.

To this very day, they have not been in contact with me, said that I owe $9, 604 on the loan, sold my new 2007 car for $7, 000.00. I know that is not true because the car is worth $16, 000. At the begininng of the loan which was $20, 000, and at the time they took it, they said that I owed $18, 000. I had the car for almost 3 years. Something is not right with those crooks, and I want to make them pay. I will have a new car eventually, thanks to them for what they put me through. Thank God I have an attorney going after them!

• Sh
      Mar 28, 2010

CHECK YOUR CREDIT PEOPLE...This company charged my loan off in "error" and never told me about it and then I had to fight with them for months to "fix" it... Long story short I was in an accident and my truck was totalled, my loan was thru Sovereign..now Santander.. I had the GAP insurance.. so about 3 weeks after the accident I called Santander just to let them know that the GAP company sent the gap check out and it would fully cover the rest of my loan (mind you my insurance company had already sent them well over 90% of what was due on the loan).. when I called just to give them an innocent heads up..the man on the other end of the line appologized and said that my loan was one of MANY...that were charged off in ERROR! in error..really now I know why I sat at the car dealer for 4 hours while they denied me for a new car... they really jacked up my credit.. and then put me thru the ringer just to get them to fix there mistake.. I wish I could SUE them for this.. it was really embarassing sitting there being denied for a car... and having no clue why as the car dealership didnt tell me that a charge off was on my loan...also is terrible that I am not the only one.. people need to check on these people they may have charge off's they dont know about on their credit.. and they do not notify people of this!

• Lu
      Mar 29, 2010

Something needs to be done about this company really bad. Just tell me what I need to do and I will do it. I owe on the car more than what it is worth. They have put so many late charges on my account it is really bad. They also showed me as a charge off and will not correct it, I have tired numerous of time and they want return calls but when you are one day late they bug you like crazy. I have also told them about calling my job and they contiue to do it like they dont understand english at all. They bug me at my job through out the day and I thought once I informed them not to they were suppose to do as I ask but again they havent. Just let me know and I will jump on the wagon also because I feel they should be either put out of business or treat there customer better than they fo.

Mar 29, 2010

They put my amount on my credit report as a "charge-off", and it is inaccurate information. I have informed my attorney about this.

@Ed and Becky: My police department told me to get a lawyer when I explained the same information. I'm going to forward this link to my attorney. Hopefully, something will benefit all of us regarding this crook.

I have filed a complaint with the State of Texas Attorney General's office regarding these crooks. The good news is that they assigned my complaint a case number. Please everyone, file a complaint with the State of Texas, and the FTC, as well as your State Attorney General's office. If you can, get an attorney also. The more complaints can turn into a class action suit for sure. Let's band together to get rid of these crooks forever!

• Rl
      Mar 31, 2010

i was under the impression i was ahead in payments and i actually was !one night i get a call from a repo man saying he was outside my house ready to hook up my truck!long story short they took my truck !i called and asked why didnt they get in touch w/ me about this and they said that it was up to me to know !no letters no phone calls!no certified letters nothing!!!its like beingb robbed!this is the worst!

Apr 01, 2010

I believe that in their minds that Santander thinks they keep accurate records. Whether you make your payments or not, they will NEVER give you the title, and have it in their minds to repo consumer vehicles, and think that we will still pay for the vehicles.

I cannot believe that the State and Federal Governments are allowing these crooks to do business in the United States. Karma is something else!

• Bo
      Apr 02, 2010

Hello Everyone!! I am so glad I found you all regarding Santander.
    I promise you I will not torture you with all the stressful maddening facts that all of you have been through, are going through such as myself (ILLEGAL PREPOSSESSING) a vehicle.. loan that met its maturity date and i received a final HSBC letter stating the terms of the contract will be met and title sent to me with 1 final payment #72 principal balance 149.62.

I was overjoyed and so excited as this was the first time, I was able to maintain a vehicle through its loan without repairs costing me more a month than the payment. and getting so pissed trade it in.

From 1.15.2002 I drove off the lot with a beautiful royal blue 2002 Mitsubishi Galant I had paid 395.00 a month as single father one income, raising high school teenager 6ft 5 in 256 lbs and sacrificed so much for me to make that payment he was eating ramen, 99c store canned food, I had cried so many times looking at the look on his face when he did so good in school asked me for a reward, to be told it has to wait, or no, he just looked so damn sad and

I tell you what SANTANDER you mother ###ing pieces of ### repossessed on 03/30/2010 an ICON memory of how close my son and I had become fighting together to pay that payment keep that car.. I hope you are happy you ###ing mother ###ers I dont have the $1600 to pay you for 149.62 balance, , , he was fatally called to heaven when he took his last fall for his country...he died in Iraq last week, just 7 minutes after he joked w me on text AYY BIG BOY POPS hows that GALANT working out for you, send me some that 395.00 so I have to pay for funeral keep the car, you already got me terminated from my job missing work when your driver blocked me and hooked the car up w me in it. PEOPLE PLEASE LETS BOND and BRING THESE PEOPLE DOWN Im doing it honor of my son, he would be livid to know what they did [protected] if you have any ideas on who or what I can call file PLEASE HELP

• Ci
      Apr 03, 2010

I am facing the same thing. I've now made 73 payments of $325.26 to Santander on a 72 payment loan. They are still wanting to repossess the vehicle claiming there is still balance on the premium due to interest compounded daily on late fees?

I didn't finance any late fees and I'm not sure why these fees are added to the interest bearing principal. Is it even legal?

They now want $1970 in addition to the 73 payments I've made to release the title or they are going to repo the vehicle soon (never mind the math involved to come up with over $2000 in interest on late fees???). I might let them take it. Screw these people. If anyone questions why America is now the armpit of capitalism look no further than these kind of shady finance businesses the big-wigs in Washington encourage to drive up the wealth of the aristocracy.

Apr 03, 2010

If I have to take my case to President Obama, I will. Those Santander possibly illegal ### must be held accountable for what they are doing. I'm not going to stop making their lives a living hell. Please believe!

I am waiting for them to even THINK that they are going to attempt to garnish my paycheck. I am going to countersue for everything I could ever think off..Some sorry azz ###.

• Ze
      Apr 05, 2010

Good thing I've done some research first. I'm planning to use Santander but after what I've read, I'm running as fast as I could.

• Re
      Apr 09, 2010

They took over my loan last month and I went from being one payment behind to 3 payments behind and they can't explain why. I really want to keep my truck, but I am filing bankruptcy in 2 weeks so after reading all of this, I think I will let them have it. I owe 25k on a truck with a trade in value of 7k. Now I just have to find something cheap to buy with bad credit and a few hundred bucks down. By the way, I've been calling them Satan-air. Seems to fit.

• Mi
      Apr 09, 2010

They took over my loan last fall and they are stalkers when that payment isn't there on time. They call everyone on my application. They call my phone cell and work number more than 10 times in one day calling from different numbers all the time! It's ridiculous!

Apr 10, 2010

They are awful, and they are the biggest scammers I have ever encountered. Santander Consumer's luck is going to run out eventually. You can't keep doing this stuff to people whom are trying to get their lives back on track, and also, it is a bad economy.

To EVERYONE on this blog post, please write a letter, and send documentation to the State of Texas, Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division. Here is the information:

Attorney General of Texas
    Gregg Abbott
    Consumer Protection Division
    1412 Main Street, Suite 810
    Dallas, TX 75202

Phone Number: [protected]

The more complaints filed can result into a class action lawsuit against these greedy and ghetto ran rip off con artists Santander Consumer USA/Drive Financial. I hope someone from the news media read these blogs.

I will be MORE THAN happy to tell my story. Let's do this! Thanks!

Apr 11, 2010

Here is an update since Friday, April 9, 2010.

I wrote my Congressman asking him why is the United States allowing Santander Consumer USA to operate the way that they do. I gave him in full detail about how they conduct their business.

He wrote me a letter saying that he wanted to know from the Federal Trade Commission, and my state's Consumer Protection office about what they are doing about this situation.

Please write your Congressman. If you don't know whom your congressman is, you can search U.S. Congress, go to the website. Enter your zip code, and you will get the information for your congressman.

You can't give up, we have to fight these people, if it takes a long time; stay in the fight.

• La
      Apr 12, 2010

Today I was told that I qualified for special assistant deferment loan. that My account stand at 2, 505.00. I called and asked for Ms. Booker who left me the message on Saturday re; special assistant. well they said they could help me we came to understanding to do the deferment well I told her I'd talk with my husband while in the meantime my husband was on the other line being threaten by another customer service representative that she would have a repo person in 30 minutes. They put him on a 3 way call..Being that we heard of damages made while the car was being repoed and that the auction price goes down, while earlier on Ms. Booker had told not to it was too risky.
    I called back and talked with ms Booker a lady said she would help me and that they were unable to transfer to ms. Booker to work on deferment and as I was being recorded to say yes to deferment the line dropped and I lost connection.
    Okay now I am just waiting for Ms. Booker to call... [protected]@yahoo.com

Apr 12, 2010

@las_tiffany: That's what happened to me, they are going to get your car, sell it before you EVEN get a chance to get it back, and put negative remarks on your credit report. Please keep documentation of all of your paperwork. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, your state's Attorney General, State Attorney General of Texas, and your Congressman. Just kiss your car goodbye; but, fight for your rights.

• Sm
      Apr 13, 2010

OMG I think im just going to tell them to comeand take my car im not late on a payment but told them thay could take out 305.00 from my acc. 3 days latter thay took over 700.00 out and then tryed to take the 305.00 out 2 days later. Thay keep telling me thay are going to put it back and havent yet, what is wroung with these people i only had 450.00 in that acc. now its -430.oo if anyone needs my story or can help explane how thay can doo this my email is [protected]@sbcglobal.net. I think im going to start by calling Texas, dont know what that will do, im in OHIO but maybe it will help the outher guy.

Apr 13, 2010

Don't wait to hear back from Santander Consumer employees. It's like working with the devil. Please do what I've posted. You think you are dealing with professional people, thinking that your loan was modified, next thing you know your car is gone. That is the point I am trying to make to the Government agencies. Especially, when we are in a tough economy. This company should not be operating in the United States, getting away with murder. At the end of the day, I learned no matter how much you pay to Santander Consumer, they will NEVER have any attention to give their consumer their titles after payment. They are out to ruin your credit much worser than it is, and add on additional monies, and percentage to your loan without your knowledge. Before you know it, you are in a worse predicament than going to them to begin with. They will help themselves to your account, not crediting anything to your account.

I'm not playing with them, if I don't get any satisfactory results with my Congressman, somebody is going to hear me...I am single handledly fighting them back; if not for myself, the next person. DO NOT WAIT TO HEAR BACK FROM SANTANDER. File complaints with the agencies I listed above. THANK YOU!

Apr 16, 2010

I am thankful that my Congressman is helping me get to the right people regarding Santander Consumers. He forwarded my complaint to the Bureau of Financial Institutions, whom in turn, forwarded to the State Corporation Commission. I am thankful that he helped me out. The letter from the BFI stated that Santander Consumer USA is a global subsidiary of Banco Santander. Maybe eventually, justice will be served; if we can get them in record numbers. STAY IN THE FIGHT!

• Au
      Apr 18, 2010

Is there really something we can do because right now it seem like they are just getting away with murder. I paid them 1200.00 on saturday apil 17, 2010 and they picked up my car on sunday. This has to stop because right now it doesnt seem like anybody is listening to us at all. I am so tired of them picking up my car once a month it seems like and I have small kids. So how am i suppose to get them to school and myself to work if I dont have car and they could care less. I cant take this anymore something has to be done because they are killling us over and over again and nothing is being done about them at all. it is like they know nothing is going to be done on how they do business. Please just tell me and I will do it. it is nothing worse than getting ready to leave your house with your kids and go to church and your car is gone after you have given them all you had and I dont have anything else to give them, so i dont know what I am going to do.

Apr 19, 2010

I have listed all the resources in order to contact Elected Government Officials regarding this company. Santander Consumer USA never have the intention of giving any consumer a title to their vehicle. My congressman has been wonderful and aggressive in investigating Santander for me. He sent me a couple of letters. Santander Consumer USA is a global conglomerate of Banco Santander, which is based out of Spain. My complaint has been forwarded to the Federal Reserve Bank. The Federal Reserve Bank has jurisdiction over the operations of how Santander Consumer USA conducts their business in the United States. Therefore, you can file a complaint with this Government agency also, and if you can afford to, get an attorney. Don't sit around hoping that someone else's complaint is going to help resolve your problem. The more complaints the Local, State, and Federal Government receives about Santander Consumer USA, the more something can be done. Good luck!

Apr 19, 2010

The following link is to the Federal Reserve System (Federal Reserve Bank).

Once you're at the website, click on "Contact Us", and write your complaint there. Thanks!

Apr 19, 2010

My apologies...Here is the correct link to the Federal Reserve System where you can file your complaint:

Apr 27, 2010

All,

This is the information I received from the Federal Reserve:

This e-mail is to acknowledge our receipt of your correspondence on April 19, 2010. The entity you are inquiring about is supervised by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and we have forwarded your correspondence to the FTC.

The FTC enters all complaints it receives into a secure online database that is used by thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement authorities worldwide. This database is used to detect patterns of wrong-doing that may lead to investigations and prosecutions. The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints; therefore, you may also wish to report your complaint to your state attorney general. The link provided below contains contact information for the attorneys general.

We have enclosed a notice that federal law requires us to send when we transfer records to the FTC. The FTC contact information is provided below for your reference.

Federal Trade Commission
    Consumer Response Center
    Room H-240
    600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
    Washington, D. C. 20580

Website: www.ftc.gov (use the File a Complaint link)

Phone: 877-FTC-HELP [protected])
    TTY: [protected]

Sincerely,

Federal Reserve Consumer Help Center

Certification and Notice

The Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Board) hereby certifies that there is reason to believe that records associated with your complaint, which was received on April 19, 2010, including documents that you have submitted to Board or Reserve Bank staff, as well as documents obtained from SANTANDER CONSUMER USA INC. relating to your business with the organization and included in the Board's file on your complaint ("your financial records"), are relevant to a legitimate law enforcement inquiry within the jurisdiction of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). This certification means that the Board believes that the FTC is entitled to have access to information regarding your complaint. This certification is not a determination regarding the merit or substance of your complaint.

Copies of or information contained in your financial records, lawfully in possession of the Board, have been furnished to the Federal Trade Commission pursuant to the Right to Financial Privacy Act of 1978 (12 U.S.C.A. §3401 et seq.) for the following purpose:

To facilitate investigation of your complaint by the FTC.

If you believe that this transfer has not been made to further a legitimate law enforcement inquiry, you may have legal rights under the Right to Financial Privacy Act of 1978 or the Privacy Act of 1974
    (5 U.S.C.A. §552a).

www.FederalReserveConsumerHelp.gov | [protected] (Phone) |
    [protected] (TTY) | [protected] (Fax)