Santander Consumer USA / deceptive practices

1 They dont want you to know whereSomewhere in Texas, CA, United States Review updated:

I have a car loan that was with citi auto financial until sept 2010 (since 2/2008). I received no notification that my loan was sold, but it was — to the unscrupulous santander consumer usa "bank". Actually, they are loan sharks of the worst kind — just do a google search of "santander complaints". I did not find out the loan had been sold until I got about a dozen calls from some "collection agency" identifying themselves as santander — not knowing who they were and not owing a collection agency anything, I ignored them. When I went to pay my loan at the usual time, I was shocked to find the citi auto website down and a link to this santander outfit. I received nothing in the mail from either party — is that legal? Well, I tried to make my payment by phone and for three days was unable to as the systems kept rejecting my credit card (wells fargo) as "invalid". Finally today I get a human on the phone, who has the same difficulty. I am stressed out, because my payment is now on the 30th day and could be reported as late to the credit bureaus. I have never been over 30 days late on this car payment in the nearly three years I have had this loan. She switches me to a supervisor, who told me that they would do nothing about this, even though the system problem is their fault. She snottily said that I should have sent them a check — which would have been a bit of a challenge, since I didnt even know they had my loan! (btw, wells fargo, the issuer of my card stated that the "problem" might be due to a high incidence of suspicious activity on the part of the submitting party — santander — and that wells fargo may be turning down requests for money from them due to that). Finally, they were able to process this one payment, but I am rightly concerned about two things: 1) my credit being dinged for a payment that I tried for three days to make and 2) why I have no information about this outfit, where they are located or who they are. Is it not their responsibility and that of citi's to notify me of this sale? They claim they did, but I got nothing from them and when I look at other comments on the internet, apparently no one else did either.

Lb

Comments

• De
      29th of Sep, 2010

The same thing happened to us. we only have 6 more payments due, and we did recieve notification about two weeks ago but thought it was advertizement so we didnt pay attention to it when we didnt get our monthly statemnet from Citi Financial I went through our junk mail and there it was it said that we would be receiving a statement to make our payment we still have not received it and when I called today they said well we sent it I asked about making a payment over the phone because I did not want to be late they said I could but it would be an additional $10.95 I then asked about on line it is the same cost. I have also read complaints about them changing the terms of your loan and not releasing the title even when its paid off. Im not looking forward to the next 6 month's

Debbie
    Spokane WA

• Ph
      9th of Oct, 2010

I just had this happen to me last month aswell. Look at the interest amount on your bill. After 4 years of payment the amount applied to interest has started over !!! I'm now again paying all interest on this note and nothing to the balance of it. Can you say law suite !!! I will not pay interest on this loan again !!!

• To
      15th of Oct, 2010

Many people did not receive notification from Citi...most did...but it's alarming that a great number of people didn't receive the notification. Lbgrrl, I work at a collection agency for a living and Santander is not an agency, it is a full fledged bank...so I wouldn't worry too much about your loan status. Unless you are two or more payments past due you should not receive a slow pay ding on your credit. Hopefully you don't have any more issues...I would hate to have to deal with their non existent customer service. Debbie, they can waive the fee as a courtesy. They use western union speedway system to run their payments. They have to pay western union to use it, but shouldn't have a problem with waiving a fee for one time courtesy. Failure to do so shows how inept their customer service is. Philcam... I would confirm that the number of remaining payments that they have on record match your records, along with the expected maturity date, and I would confirm the apr matches the contract. Apr is typically set in stone on a simple interest contract. They cannot change the apr unless its
    Mutually agreed to in the contract. I have a feeling what you are seeing is just an accounting reamortization since they had to book the contract on their books. The remaining term, apr, and maturity date should match your records. It is just amortizing the loan on their books using the current term and payment schedule. It doesnt change anything on the loan, and the interest you have paid is the same as you would have paid with Citi...as long as the term, apr, payment, and expected maturity date are congruent. If any of those changed, I would raise holy hell. If not, just run a loan amort in excel or something and you will see what I'm talking about.

31st of Oct, 2010

I feel everyones pain my loan went from hsbc to santander my car was paid off in july 2010 an paid two extra payments then they came an took my car showed proof faxs bank statments letter from my bank still made no difference to them now I have to hire a attorney to get my car back.

• La
      20th of Dec, 2010

MY CITIFINANCIAL AUTO LOAN ALSO WAS BOUGHT OUT BY SAN-TAN-DER. I RECEIVED NO WARNING ABOUT THIS EITHER. ALL OF A SUDDEN AFTER MAKING SPLIT PAYMENTS MONTHLY ON MY CAR LOAN, I GET A CALL THAT I AM LATE ON A PAYMENT. THANKS A LOT. I HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH CITI AT ALL AND NOW, I GET TOLD I CANNOT SPLIT MY PAYMENT AND I HAVE TO PAY THE LUMP SUM. I WAS MAD. FINALLY, I GET TO TALK TO ON E OF MANY CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS AND SHENITA HALL FROM THE FORT MILL, SOUTH CAROLINA OFFICE HAS BEEN THE MOST RECEPTIVE AND NICE PERSON. I NOW GET TO SPLIT MY PAYMENT IN HALF AND PAY IT EVERY TWO WEEKS. SHE WAS SO NICE AND I WAS DREADING CALLING SANTANDER BACK. IF THEY MAKE ME HAPPY, I HAVE NO COMPLAINT. BUT IF THEY DO NOT TREAT ME RIGHT, I WILL BE THE WORST CONSUMER THAT SANTANDER HAS EVER DEALT WITH. THANK YOU FOR LISTENING TO ME SHENITA HART!!!

• Na
      24th of Mar, 2011

You got off easy they can and took my car only after three days and had already sold it a Carolina Auction I live in Summerville I XM radio was stolen and the was damage done to my veh. I contacted a Layer named Todd Friedman 1-888-5959111 I also found a lawyer In North Carolinan that is investgating this company for bad pratices there number is 1919-833-1931 also this law office in texas 1-214-670-9989. These guys are nothing more then crooks.

• Ta
      18th of Jun, 2011

This company is a debt collector. They have not followed the loan I received from CitiFinancial - who are now changing their name as if that will clear their responsibility for putting their customers in this situation.

They call me 5-10 times daily. I owe 1 payment and will pay the loan off a year early. I can't understand why the government is not stepping in to force this company to adhere to the laws and regulations.

I plan to file a complain with the attorney general and the BBB. Hopefully this will help end this mess.

• Gr
      22nd of Jun, 2011

My loan, too, was sold by CitiAutoFinancial to Santander...no notice from either company. Santander charges a whopping $10 to pay any convenient, fast way...over the phone, debit, etc. I just refuse to Pay to pay a bill. It's extortion. So I mailed checks. Santander has been harrassing me for the past 3 months saying I owe more. April's Payment #59 (out of 60) said I owed 3 more payments. I paid two, and they're still calling me everyday...even Saturday and Sundays at 8:30 am to say I owe. Now I've received a call saying that my auto contract is paid, but I still owe another $124. They never sent me a final bill or notice, just more obnoxious phone calls saying I still owe. It was suggested I ask them for a copy of the contract that is marked PAID, but I see other victims have not gotten their title nor an overpayment refund. I think I'll call Morley Safer from 60 Minutes and sic the press on Santander. Now I understand why there's a whole website devoted to complaints against this company.. They are a nightmare.