Santander Consumer USA / unethical service

I am late by 45 days because the car that I owe 10, 000 for keeps breaking down and I have to repair it. I tried trading it in it is worth $1, 000. I was told by a rep that I can put two payments to the back and be current. I just received a collection call that I must pay a payment by tomorrow or they will repo the car. She said I don't qualify for the program to put two payments to the back of the loan. Was very rude, threatened to repo. Told me to borrow the money!

Ki

Comments

• Da
      4th of Feb, 2010

Please be very careful. I was in very much the same situation as you. My car company (Triad Financial) was taken over by Santander a few months ago. I also was approximately 2 months late and they did repo my car on Friday!! This whole week has been a nightmare trying to get it back! There are a ton of rediculous fees ($10.95 to process your total payment, $400 for the reposession, $20 per day at the lot...they picked up my car on Friday at 4:48pm so that I could not make a payment to get it back until Monday, thus automatically paying for 3 days to store it, and then when I went to pay the $80 for the 4 day storage...oh yeah I could not get it until Tuesday, because they had to wait until my Monday payment cleared, there was another "fee" of $95. The "Recvery" company that you have to deal with keeps you on hold for a very long time and then "drops" your call so you can call back and be #20 in line for a representative for at least 3-4 times in a row. I am so disgusted with this company!!! Don't let this happen to you! I did not get any warning at all that this was even a possibility. No letter, no phone call, no email! Nothing. I was literally in shock when the guy knocked on the door to say he was taking my car. Oh and the best part, the car doesn't even run right now, so I also have to pay to have it towed back to my house from the storage lot, which is approximately 70 miles away!

• Re
      12th of Apr, 2010

Wow I'm really nervous about being 1 day late. These people sound like a bunch of rip off artists!!!

16th of Apr, 2010

I dont understand why so many people are upset with this company. True most of the reps I have dealt with have been foriegn & kinda hard to understand, but this company lends to people with (I hate to put it like this) .. bad credit. I dont this they are rip off artists, they are trying to collect on the debt.

You cannot blame the finance company for the mechanics of the car. They loaned you the money to buy it. I dont hear a lot of people refusing to pay their mortgage because the hot water heater or furnance went up. If you borrowed money from me to buy something .. I would still want my money back.

And to Daisy .. you said that you were about 2 months late. What do you expect? You say you did not get any warning ... what type of warning did you need? The fact that you were 2 months behind should have been warning enough. I think that they attempted to contact you several time within the period you were behind. Did you answer the phone? .. Did you call back?

Also, I dont know of any company that is going to tell you the repo man in coming. That would be plain stupid. Some states require that a "cure" lettwer be sent inorder for them to collect the repo fees. Are you in one of those states?

• To
      20th of Apr, 2010

This is not an actual business, it is a calling room with a lot of people calling people. My loan also was with Triad, and this company took over. I paid off my vehicle in March 2010, received a call from Santander rep and said right off the bat " your account is over due of so much money how do you plan on paying this. Went into conversation of how this could be. Was on phone a good 30 minutes, was told they would look into it. I said thank you and hung up. One week later a get a call stating the request how am I going to pay this check, credit card, I was in shock, I inform the caller that I was informed that someone was going to look into my situation and call me big. Yeah right, call me back, just to request the same amount of money. I disagree with the majority of the comment from "In My Opinion's" statement. These people are scammers in my book.

21st of Apr, 2010

To " To old for this aggavation" .. I am curious as to how your situation ended. Did you make your last scheduled payment in March of 2010 or did you pay your loan off? I ask this because if you have simple interest financing ... in most cases your last scheduled payment will not pay off your loan. If you have been late (and when I say late .. I'm talking about being 1 or more days past the due date) with any of your payments .. additional interest would have accrued causing your last payment to be more.

Like I said before, they could use more training ... but the facts are the facts. The first 2 posters were 2 months behind .. what did they expect?

• Wh
      22nd of Apr, 2010

Believe it or not but the same thing happen to us. We paid off our car loan in March of 2010 and did the happy dance because we would not have to deal with this bank anymore, well low and behold they sent us a letter saying that we owed 35 dollars more. Confused I pull out the last statement which I never keep because we also pay on line and sure enough up in the left hand corner it said payoff amount and that really made me mad. I could not understand why they would not put the final payment on the payment slip itself. I must be stupid but don't you think that this would have been the easiest thing to do. The difference is that I did get the title but it is still showing up on our credit report as being unpaid. I did tell them that I expected the title in the mail by the end of the month and sure enough I have it with the letter stating that I am paid in full. But they still have a payment note on my credit score as being unpaid balance. I spoke to17 count them 17 people yesterday and I have all of the names. Was promised a phone call back yesterday to clear up the matter and quess what NO PHONE CALL. If I ever bought another car and they told me that Santander was at 2% and another was 4% I would take the 4%. That must tell you something. Good luck with receiving title.

• St
      3rd of May, 2010

this is by far the worst company I have ever had dealings with. we have been battling with them since December. We were 2 months behind because I lost my job, we contacted them and tried to work out a viable solution. We have talked to several of their customer service reps and they have promised us if we make 1 payment they will defer the last 2 payments.. so we did. They called us constantly.. 6 to 10 times a day. When we would tell them we made the payment and give them the confirmation number, they then told us, we didn't qualify for the deferrment...they offered it, why would they offer it if they weren't going to give it to us. The service rep never said you could try to get a deferment, they said, we will defer it, now we have made 2 more payments and they say we are still 2 payments behind and we owe more now than we did when we bought the car. They are horrible. I will never do business with them again. I am seriously considering giving them back the car... after we bought it, we found out it wasn't worth what we were told, We feel like fools... If you are considering using them.. DON"T I had one service rep tell me they charge us 8.00 a day late fee... if you are 60 days late that is 480.00. and it doesn't matter how many car payments you make up... they still say we are behind. Don't use this company!!!

3rd of May, 2010

to To starbucks412:
    I am not familiar with the particulars of you deferment. But if you were 2 month behind & they were giving you a 2 month deferment… that would bring you current with a payment due now .. correct? As far as that .. all I can say is to get a copy of you history & count/compare the payments made.

The “late charge” terminology you are using is incorrect. They are not charging you $8.00 a day late charges . You are accruing $8.00 per day interest. Please do your homework on Simple Interest Financing. So at $8.00 per day, you would have accrued $240 in interest if you made a principle payment 30 days ago. This means .. if you pay $250.00, only $10 would go towards principle. The more the rate the more the accrued interest.

• Pr
      29th of Jun, 2010

I happen to work for this company. We are a sub prime lender, which means we finance people with less than perfect credit. I am a collector for the company and I can tell you for a fact that if you are 2 months past due we have made several attempts to contact you and offer a "cure plan" to help bring you current. As far as the people who said they "paid" their loan off. What you have to understand is you have a simple interest loan, therefore you accrue interst DAILY. So, if you have paid late, which can be anywhere from 1 day late to 60 days late or had deferments. You will have interest to pay at the end of your loan. Meaning you will have a balloon payment once your loan matures or you are given 4 months to pay that balance.

22nd of Oct, 2010

well. I dont like this company because no one seems to know anything around there. I have been calling every month for 5 months trying to figure out how I can just pay toward my principal. I spoke with 5 supervisors and they gave my 5 different ways. WTF! I ended up getting a supervisor that sounded like she really knew what she was talking about. But obviously she didnt. I was told as long as I am 3 car payments (100 days) ahead that any additional payment after that will go directly to my principal. WRONG! I made that additional payment after I had just made 4 car payments the previous month... My additional car payment did not go to my principal. I called FUMED up over this and they then told me a new story. Tat there is no way for me to pay directly to principal. THEN WHY THE HELL DID I MAKE 4 CAR PAYMENTS... for my health? So "ProudEmployee" do you know anything about this? I have a simple interest car loan and I am currently 3 car payments ahead.

• Mi
      3rd of Dec, 2010

Going from CitiFinancial Auto to this bank is like a root canal with no numbing. First of all "in my opinion" before you try and school all of us on this POS bank, which you obviously have a huge sharehold of, please learn to spell and check your grammer before posting on line. You only make yourself look stupid, which based on your opinion of this bank, you are. I am so refinancing. There is no way in hell I would stay with this bank for another 2 years while I await the payoff of my car. This is the worst bank/company I've ever worked with and they SUCK!!!

• Te
      3rd of Dec, 2010

@Jazimodel
    I recently purchased at 2007 Nissan Altima and Santander Consumer USA financed me. What a big mistake :-( I have paid my account up 3 months as well, and was told the exact same story about if I am paid 3 months ahead of time then anything in addition would be applied towards my principal. WRONG. LIARS. DECIETFUL. Now here I am paying double on a car so that half can go towards interest. BOGUS. I recently filled a conplaint with the BBB will be hiring an attorney soon. I will try and refinance with a more reliable trustworthy institution. It just puzzles me on how after your up by 3 months they say nevermind we didnt mean it.

• En
      22nd of Apr, 2011

ProudEmployee: Study up on simple interest loans before you begin to belittle people stuck with this God awful company. Here you go: Fortunately for consumers, simple interest loans are now the norm in the auto financing business. The vast majority of auto lenders do not use pre-computed auto loans and they do not use the Rule of 78s method to calculate prepayments.

"The Rule of 78s as it applies to installment auto sales is a relic of the past, " says David Robertson, executive director of the Association of Finance and Insurance Professionals.

"In today's mainstream market, that would be an absolute rarity."

The pre-computed Rule of 78s auto loans that do exist today tend to be found in the subprime market. Folks with less-than-perfect credit should be on the lookout.

• Ge
      7th of Sep, 2012

Im recently going thur the same problems with santander.. The collectors are very rude dont listen all the want is pay me now.. They dont even want partial pmts they want the balance in full.. Which in some cases its in possible. They are dumb they shouldnt deny any pmnts. We are trying to catch up and paying in full will not happen. Explain to them lost my job cant pay in full but can make a standard pmnt. Rep refused they want bif. I ask if they can do a deferment with 1pmnt they refuse to help. What kind of company is this? ### happens and other companies do work with you and they are the ones getting there money..

• Ge
      7th of Sep, 2012

I'm filing my complaint BBB today!

• Su
      27th of Aug, 2013

I don't know, Santander helped me twice already. The rep. Was so nice . Her name is Sindy. I will give her10.

• Su
      27th of Aug, 2013

You only need explain your situation and they are willing to help you. People, you have to repay your loans!

• Li
      30th of Jul, 2014

Santander keeps charging "property inspection fees" at over $10 a pop each month on a mortgage that is paid every month before the end of the month. In this economy, the average person who gets up, goes to work every day, does not live lavishly and just tries to make ends meet is treated so unfairly. The rep first said that those "inspections" are done when a payment falls more than 30 days behind. An "inspector" drives by the home to ensure that it is not abandoned. I did a mortgage modification last year to help make the payment affordable post divorce and ever increasing cost of living. I have made every payment since then within the month it was due. I asked for a way to help remedy these "inspection" costs as I clearly am up to date on my mortgage. She spoke with her supervisor who has to "call me back" as she thinks they can impose this whenever they want to. I find it highly unethical that santander allows you to make a late payment after the 15th of the month, for which you can be sure they make late payment charge and that charge is also paid, then imposes this bogus fee. Banks are the most unethical entities. It doesn't help that the reps that work for them are clearly those that don't like their jobs and show it with their nastiness on the phone. My "inspection fees" probably pay their salaries.

• Sp
      22nd of Mar, 2017

please follow the facebook page and share your stories, with enough people we can reach out to the Attorney General and bring down this company

• Sp
      22nd of Mar, 2017

Please follow this group on Facebook, When enough people join I want to send their stories to the Attorney General