Sanmitra Sahakari Bank Pune / Bank Charges

1 India Review updated:

Dear Sir,

I am an account holder in Sanmitra Sahakari Bank Pune, having account number 676 in Wanowri Branch.

For my daughter's admission for MS in the USA, I needed a Solvency Certificate based on my assets and bank balance. This was only for educational purpose, which was clearly mentioned in the form, without any liability on the bank.

However, my bank first demanded 0.5 % on the solvency amount of Rs 15 lacs. Then they agreed to RS 2500 for the first certificate, and there on Rs 100 for copies of the same. Since we were to apply in 11 universities, this amount was coming to Rs 12500.

Sir, I think, for banks to give a certificate for educational purpose, based on my financial capability is illogical.

The amount was arbitrarily decided and no one was able to give any explanation regarding the logic behind these charges. I was ready to pay Rs 2500 for the same, but later they said per copy I will have to pay Rs 1000, which I think is illogical. How can they demand Rs 1000 for a copy?

Is this the way our banks try to fleece students going abroad for further studies? Where is the scope for charging thousands of rupees from parents of students to give a simple certificate based on the parents financial status after checking all necessary documents?

When I refused to pay that amount, the bank staff became very hostile. On the next day when I went to prepare a Demand Draft for business purpose, they refused to give the same, saying the person who is supposed to sign DDs is on leave.

Can a bank refuse to prepare a DD of an account holder citing such frivolous reasons?

I would like to get redressal on two issues :
1. Banks should be instructed not to make money for issues related to genuine solvency related to students admissions abroad.
2. Action should be taken on such banks who refuse to give Demand Drafts for account holders when needed out of malice.

Hoping to get justice in the matter

Deepak Shah

Comments

Om
  9th of Oct, 2010

Dear Sir,

I read your query.It is just agony from the banks part.Every bank has a right to charge commission to its customers for giving solvency certificate .In your case the amount of commission is huge.You can ask to the board of directors about this.Secondly if they refuse to give you demand draft simply because they are not having sufficient staff, this reason is illogical. You can complain to reserve bank about this. The bank will be fined for this.

Ki
  25th of Nov, 2010

THIS IS AT THE DISCRETATION OF BANK TO CHARGE THE CHARGES, SECONDLY HAVE U APPROCH TO HEAD OFFICE OF THE BRANCH, I FEEL THAT U R MAKING COMPLAINT AGAINST BANK BUT U R NOT TELLING ABOUT UR APPROCH TOWARD BANK STAFF I FEEL THAT, AND INFORMATION FROM BANK U R ASKING SAID FACILITY FREE OF COST AND BANK REFUSE SO AS A REVANGE YOU ARE MAKING COMPLAINT SO PLASE UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE ABOUT BANKING MARKETING WHICH WILL COMPAIL TO THINJ ABOUT IT ONCE AGAIN