Samurai Shark / Buy one, get one free for $10&,... but it cost $51.80!

1 35 Wisconsin AvenueOshkosh, WI, United States Review updated:

The TV ad on 12/31/07 said "Buy one, get one free - and as an added bonus we'll add the shears, all for only $10 plus 7.95 shipping". I entered the order online and received confirmation that the mdse would be received in 4-6 weeks. On 3/4/08 I called to cancel but was told "the order shipped yesterday". The charges were deducted from my checking account on 3/5/08 for $51.80. When I called the customer service number for an explanation I was told I ordered TWO (with 2 free), and shipping was $7.95 EACH - so the merchandise was $20, but shipping was $31.80. I told "Kami" I would return the shipment unopened and expected a full refund. She said they'd refund $20. Then a circular arrived from Bed Bath & Beyond, which sells this item for $9.99.

The shipment arrived today. It was a small bubble-wrap lined envelope sent through USPS parcel post, weighed 3 ounces, and clearly didn't contain 6 pieces of merchandise.

From the number of complaints on several complaint boards it's apparent the scam is consistent for all merchandise offered: inflated shipping charges, shipping as soon as cancellation is requested, and an outsourced customer service group facilitating from scripts as co-conspirators. The amount of the total sales are just small enough that many who are burned just throw up their hands and don't complain, so they continue on their merry way.

But how many hundreds or thousands are losing $10, 20, $30 or more?

Va

Comments

• Wi
      9th of Apr, 2010

If it sounds too good to be true... IT IS.