Sam's Club, Mobile, Alabama / Poor Service Without Explanation For Future Prevention, And, Unsanitary Check Out Clerk Frozen Food Handling

1 601 E. I-65 Service Road SouthMobile, AL, United States Review updated:
Phone: (251) 479-1346

After complaining to the Sam's Club through its web site with the message following, an apologizing response was received, but, noting getting to the root cause of that system failure, failure to deliver the purchased product in a timely manner, was explained. Additionally, the unsanitary behavior of the clerk placing a frozen food item directly on the floor where employees and customers walk, was not mentioned in the response, suggesting that this practice is acceptable to management - this possibly leading to contamination. Potential customers should be aware of these issues.

On Sunday, 5 December 2010, at the Mobile, Alabama Sam's Club, likely a system failure occurred and I seek an explanation for the poor service experienced.
I entered the facility and, following posted instructions/directions, placed in my hand a rectangular piece of white paper with black print indicating that I wanted to purchase one unit of the Chrome Steel Industrial Shelving, Model: 18496N, Item #: 773603, $89.78 (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=152201&pid=CSE_Froogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=122112 - Chrome Steel Industrial Shelving - Sam's Club).
I proceeded through the facility and placed in my hand a container of animal crackers (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=165371&navAction=push - Stauffer's� Original Animal Crackers - 78oz - Sam's Club), a DiGiorno Frozen Pizza (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=163660&_DARGS=/sams/common/shopFilterFrag.jsp.1_A&_DAV=online&_dynSessConf=936225158294640450 - DiGiorno� Supreme Pizza - 3 pk. - Sam's Club), and, a case of Minoxidil (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=178998 - Member's Mark� Hair Regrowth Treatment - 6/2oz - Sam's Club).
At the check out register, the clerk questioned the purpose of the rectangular piece of paper indicating my desire to purchase the shelving, and, after I explained it to him, I completed my cash register transactions. One noted instance of poor behavior, in my opinion, was that the clerk sat my frozen pizza on the floor instead of temporarily placing it in the clerk's basket - possibly an unsanitary practice that could lead to contamination.
I was told that my shelving would be delivered to me at the facility exit.
I proceeded to the facility exit and waited a very long time, but the shelving was not delivered. I explained to an employee who apparently worked at the returns counter that I was awaiting delivery of the shelving and that employee used the intercom/paging system attempting to assist me. Several more minutes passed, but the shelving was not delivered. The employee apparently working at the returns counter again called for help, but again after several minutes, the shelving was not delivered. My frustration was obvious when I approached the employee apparently working at the returns counter again, and that employee rushed to attempt to call for help again, but I told that employee that I simply wanted to return all of my items purchased and receive a refund. I received my refund and exited the facility.
The failure of the system, employees not delivering the purchased shelving to the facility exit after several minutes, needs examining and an explanation is sought for such poor customer service.
I followed the posted directions, taking the rectangular piece of paper with me to the check out register and paying for it, but the purchased item was not delivered to the facility exit in a timely manner. Perhaps poor employee training or poor employee communications within the facility are factors, this reflecting back on poor management. Such poor service is unacceptable.
Later that evening, reluctantly, I returned to the facility and performed similar activities, and, I questioned the clerk at the cash register on how delivery of the item purchased using the rectangular piece of paper would be assured. That clerk called for apparently a floor manager and that floor manager proceeded to an apparent floor station and used the communications system. After a short while, the item purchased was delivered to the facility exit.
An explanation of the failure is sought and improved employee training is suggested.

Thank you.

Comments

• Co
      5th of Jan, 2011

Hypothesis:
    The uncontrolled condition (shoes of employees and customers moving around the facility after entering from who knows where with who knows what being transported on their shoes) of one of the facility's check out lanes floor surface could possibly contain many potential contaminants, perhaps many more than the surface of the somewhat ventilated shopping cart or the shopper's hands, arms and clothing.
    Possibly moisture from the frozen food item, it defrosting slightly while handling it in the store, could more easily attract potential contaminants, possibly more than from those in it's refrigerated storage and display site in the facility.
    The likely increased number of potential contaminants available on the facility's floor interacting with the possibly more attractive packaging surface could more easily, by number alone, continue to be transported to the purchaser's handling, transportation and storage system. Further handling for preparation of that item, even with some safeguard measures taken, could lead to contamination of that item. Storage of that contaminated item with other items could possibly lead to contaminants being transported to the other items.
    One possible scenario is that a customer transported canine feces to the facility's check out lane floor surface, and, a purchaser's handling, transporting and storing that item leads to contaminant transfer. Imagine taking that item into the facility's public lavatory and placing it on the floor.
    Though safeguard measures by the purchaser could potentially reduce the number of contaminants, employees adding more potential contaminants to the purchaser's items should be considered a negative practice.

15th of Jan, 2011

Additional information possibly supporting the hypothesis was found on America Online (AOL) in an article categorized under Aol Health Main » Healthy Living » Better Body Better Living, posted on 14 January 2011. Hoping that it is okay to provide information about that article, the web site and an excerpt from that article follows:
    http://www.aolhealth.com/2011/01/11/germs-you-pick-up-everyday-germiest-places/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk3%7C195202 - 5 Germy Mistakes You're Making Everyday - AOL Health
    - "...research in the past years indicating that what we track in on the bottom of our souls could be making us sick -- from chemicals lingering on sidewalks and roads to the microbes you picked up in the public restroom...".

12th of Feb, 2011

From Merriam-Webster:

One definition of a Hypothesis is ...an interpretation of a practical situation or condition taken as the ground for action...

One definition of a Theory is ...a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation...

One definition of a Law is ...a binding custom or practice of a community : a rule of conduct or action prescribed or formally recognized as binding or enforced by a controlling authority...

My concern about the Unsanitary Practice experienced at Sam's Club in Mobile, Alabama, further supported by
    should be
    ...taken as the ground for action...
    leading to ...investigation...
    to institute ...a rule of conduct or action prescribed or formally recognized as binding or enforced by a controlling authority...

My concern was raised to the Mobile County Health Department and the oral response conveyed was that the action would be investigated.

Better words could possibly be used, but, I hope that my concern about the Unsanitary Practice is conveyed, and, that actions are taken so that the type of conduct will not be repeated.

Thank you.

• Na
      19th of Aug, 2011

There are several factors on why your merchandise wasn't delivered in a timely manner. Sam's club runs a tight payroll, so most likely there were only 3 official floor partners working at the time. Anytime a forklift is brought out while members are shopping you neeed 3 people (1 driver and 2 spoters). The team then has to close off the aisles they are using the forklift on, and the aisle opposite of. Sometimes, wait, most times, there are members on the aisles who take a very long time to leave that aisle. The workers can't make members leave the aisle if they were already there shopping. They can only prevent new members from going down the aisle in which your merchandise is on. It's a Sam's rule that the 2 aisles must be clear before the forklift can drop merchandise in the steel.

There is also the case of the work the floor partners had before you. There is a possibility that they had a list of things to drop and your item was last on that last. As an employee there I have had 10 things to drop for members, and that does take time; however, the floor partners should of comminicated this back to the refund clerk in which you did most of your interaction. It would of been more acceptable if they responded that it may be X amount of time because they had X amount of items that members were waiting on prior to your purchase.