Sam's Club / damage to property

Sams Club #4769
I've been a member of Sam's Club for some time so I decided to get 4 new tires there. Deal was alright. Service personnel seemed fine enough.
However, when I picked up the car, there was a nasty dent at the back and on the bumper. Said they'd have to send away the video to Claims Management.
I was fairly confident they would do the decent thing and accept responsibility but no.
They only had a partial video record for the time car was in their possession but they said the burden of proof was on me to prove the damage occurred whilst in their possession. I was practically accused of lying. Also learned Sams Club do not have Garage Owners Liability. So, if your car is damaged there, no chance they'll accept responsibility. All in all, a very unpleasant experience.

A  24th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Either the dent was there before you brought the car in for service, or the dent was a result of the car hitting something when they brought the car in or out. In a perfect world, the guilty party would "fess up" and acknowledge their fault and inform the car owner about what happened. If the damage on the car occurred elsewhere and not at the shop, the staff/employees would be at a loss trying to explain to you how you got your dent (something even you yourself were not aware of). The shop cannot admit to something they had nothing to do with. In your mind, you are absolutely certain that the damage was not there before (or maybe you hadn't noticed it?). BUT...if one of the shop employees had indeed caused damage to your car and denied it, he/she would be the lowest of the low; obviously in fear of being terminated or at the very least, written up. The shop had no liability insurance? What if a car fell on someone? Hmmm...
D  6th of Sep, 2010 by
Dear [censor],

If the burden of proof truly is on you, then they aren't accusing you of lying. They are accusing you of not knowing the whole truth. Sounds to me like you can't guarantee that it happened at Sam's Club. The video recording magically turned on and off as your vehicle was being serviced? Riiiiiight. I'm sure Princess Diana was one of the tire technicians as well. Face it, you are another doozy who wants something for nothing. Fix your car and quit whining.

Anyone who has ever worked in customer service.
A  9th of Apr, 2011 by
I can't believe the way someone is treated when they have a legitimate claim. I too had four new tires put on and the same exact thing happened. I am disabled and had to drive forty five minutes each way to take my car back for them to look at the damage. I was treated like dirt and it was very clear to me that they didn't believe me. I was so embarrased and just the drive up there had caused me considerable pain with my back injury. They were not sympathetic at all and couldn't wait to get rid of me. They asked for my social security number which I thought was a little strange. I am not sure what they used that for but I am sure they probably try to see what they can dig up on people before they make a decision as to whether they caused the damage. I was told when the claims guy first called me that he would take a look at the video and make a decision after he viewed it and if he saw anything different than what had been reported to him by the people that had viewed it he would be the first to call me. By the time we started to end our conversation he told me to consider the claim denied and he was closing the file. He practically called me a liar. There was actually tire tread or some kind of rubber on the door where it had been hit. I am disabled so my car rarely leaves my property and is never parked next to anyone else while I am home. I explained to them that I came straight home and there was no way the damage had occured while the car was in my possesion. I had just washed the car before taking it in so I know for a fact the damage was not there whenI took my car in. I am so dissappointed in Sam's Club and it really hurt to be treated so unfairly by a company that I had trusted with my car. I could have bought my tires anywhere but I chose Sam's because I thought I would get good service. Now I am stuck with a dent in the side of my car that I will have to find a way to get fixed. Someone there knows what happened and of course they are not going to admit it when they know it could cost them their job or get them in trouble. Whatever happened to doing the right thing and the customer is always right? I will never make a major purchase at Sam's Club again and my family won't either.

Sam's Club / Sam's West Logo Sam's Club / Sam's West