Sam's Club / unfair employee termination

1 CoolSpringsFranklin, TN, United States Review updated:

My son was terminated yesterday from Sam's Club in Franklin, TN. He was out for 2 evening shifts last week to be the best man in his only sibling's wedding. He found someone to take his shifts and received approval from a manager. That sub showed up for both shifts. When my son returned to work, the approving manager had left the store and returned to Sam's club in Nevada and they fired my son for 2 no call, no show shifts. They stated that he received approval from the wrong manager. Don't you think that manager would have told him that??? Guess not. The store manager has refused to see him or speak to him to explain what happened and he did not get a verbal or written warning. No second chance here. He had been an employee for almost 18 months, 3 excellent reviews and wage increases. I don't understand and we are very confused. You would think Walmart and Sam's would want to keep good and dependable employees. I will never shop with them again - no matter how much lower their prices may be.
Sad Mom in Spring Hill, TN

Af

Comments

9th of Mar, 2010

Why didn't he request off in advance for that day(s)? Surely, there was some advance notice as to their up-coming marriage.

You need more than a simple verbal approval from a manager. He should have called in, anyway.

Wal mart and Sam's club are notorious for abrupt firings and dismissals. He should have gotten on "the Wire" and formally requested off for those dates far in advance.

• Af
      10th of Mar, 2010

He did request in advance. On January 9th, 6 weeks before the schedule for those days was posted. Using the Wire, no less. Not only did he not get the days after they were promised, there was no record that he requested it.

Even after checking it religiously for the three weeks following where it was still pending manager approval.

And one day, after the schedules for the week in question were posted - *poof* it vanishes.

He wasn't the first associate to have that problem. And given the alarming frequency of its fruition, I seriously doubt he'll be the last.

That entire club is fearful for their jobs, and incidents like this only lower morale and increase resentment towards Wal-Mart and its management.

• Gr
      6th of Jul, 2010

I myself had a similar issue but mine was different to the point that I was at work having a great day and one manager got a bug up her but because she was in line in a rush. In turn she yelled at me in front of members of the club and she assumed I was upset due to garbage can lid hitting the top of the garbage can so I got fired because of a garbage can. Not even given a chance to explain my side of the story.

• Ki
      9th of Mar, 2012

I would contact the hr department over this issue. Make them look into it and see about getting it overturn. use terms as life altering events. hostile environment. Shake them up a bit.

29th of Sep, 2012

My Son Alexander Delgado was working for Sam's Clubs in Allentown PA...My son worked for a year and half as a part timer...He also requested to work full time and never was consider but he would work all the time when they needed him...Then he became a father and still was working...One day they called him to come in to work on his day off and he could not because there was no babysitter for the baby...Then return to work after his days off and his supervisor approach him and told him that he was fired, to let him go because corporate said so...No explanation...Now, that was no excuse and made no sense at all...Now my son with a new baby and a new home, now unemployed...I'm very angry and shame on you Sam's Club...My sons better receive his unemployment or else it war with them because will not let them get away...My son worked very hard ...Alexander Delgado don't deserve this...

• Gi
      9th of May, 2013

I stopped shopping at Walmart and Sams long ago and so have many from my large family. They continue to loose business because of the way they treat employees. I refuse to renew my membership, even though they keep sending me requests, and I now shop at Costco.

• Gi
      9th of May, 2013

Greiner 2009 I am sorry you had to deal with this type of person. I tell everyone if they see an employee yelling at another employee in front of customers, especially management, complain to corporate. They listen to customers and they do not like this sort of thing in any business.

• Cl
      9th of May, 2013

Wal-Mart don't need a reason to fire you. Most of the employees are uneducated or never went to school that work for Wal-Mart.

• Mm
      4th of Dec, 2013

I'm really sorry that happened to you guys. I work for Sam's Club, and honestly it really must depend on the individual store because I've never worked anywhere better. The managers are great people and when I make a mistake they don't just tell me I'm wrong, they help me fix it and work with me to make sure I come back from it. I love it there. If I were you I would go in, or go online or something and find out who's above the manager in terms of power and go to them, and if that doesn't work just keep going up and up until someone will help you, because they do have policies and it doesn't sound like they followed their own policies when they fired him.
    If all else fails, go to your local paper and news teams and offer them the story, a lot of people end up getting compensation when their story goes viral.
    I would also suggest he look into other clubs and try to talk to their managers about working in a different location, you'd have to make sure he spoke to them though and explained what happened, because usually the fact that he was fired would automatically negate him for hire, even though it was wrong.
    I hope it works out!

• Bl
      4th of Dec, 2013

Yeah yeah yeah, that is what you all say. My child is the best employee here, he did nothing wrong. Remember you are only hearing one side of the story here.

26th of Mar, 2014

I just got coach. Hahaha my manager told me that I'm always absent and he need to do about it. But I told him I'm sick and sometime it snow, I can't even go out cause of the snow. So I get verbal coach. Now I got another coach cause I volunteer for MS and play dodgeball. I talk to my manager club and told him I'm closing so no one is closing on my dept. then he approve me by not working. So after playing I got headache. So I went home and rest. So will I'm resting my manager called me and make me work for 1hr and 50mins then he written coach me. I told him that I told to my GM about it so why now I'm getting coach. He said there's no excuse for that. But he did not coach the other associate work me me. She also did not work that time.

26th of Mar, 2014

There's a managers and supervisor who are nice and there's a b**** and ###. Depends on who they are.. Sometime they take advantage on there position. If they don't like u, u better start looking for a new job. If they like u they want u to kiss there ###. Hahaha SAMs club management is not good. They don't even know how to appreciates there associates. They know how to talk but they don't know how to work.

27th of Mar, 2014

loved being a cashking at sam club from day one and after 5 months i Got promoted to membership desk and was making less thEn cashiering and also since i started working there i only had one coaching for my attendance and then never got any more coachings until i was told im on d day and finally was informed that even clocking out 15 Minutes to early when im closing and done doing everything iTs considered a tardy and i feel like thesupervisor didnt do tHeir job right with coachings.if i knew i was that close to d day I would of known.plus do I still get My bonus?

• Bl
      11th of Apr, 2014

Samsclub I can understand your calling in sick, (unless you do it often) but you choose to volunteer for MS when you were working.

• Pe
      13th of Mar, 2017

BEWARE OF SAM"S CLUB!!! My 18 year old, full-time college student daughter was hired by Sam's Club. After two weeks of training-by-video, and one week working with a cashier, she was given the resposibility of a register. Given rave reviews from supervisor and customers alike. Received her work schedule which worked around her academics, worked ONE WEEK and then received an EMAIL - "you are not a good fit for our company." She was sobbing and quite broken. How cowardly of you SAM'S CLUB!!! It seems people hold NO TRUE VALUE. - toss one; hire another. No closure. Had no idea what she had done to be terminated, let alone terminated via an impersonalemail, and did not know how to fix it, if it could be fixed.