Sam's Club / treated like a criminal

I was treated like a criminal at the Mishawaka, Indiana Sam's Club store by manager Dywayne Johnson because I tried to purchase alcohol and my 19 and 21 year old children were with me. He refused to sell me alcohol to me even if they left the store and returned without the children. In the next lane was a lady with a small child in the cart buying wine and she was not questioned and allowed to buy these items. Mr. Johnson stated to me that since my 21 year old Sam's presented her card we neither one could buy alcohol due to the fact that we had a minor with us. He stated it was Indiana state law. I was not allowed to make my purchase even though I am 60 years old and member in good standing with Sams club.

So

Comments

9th of Feb, 2010

If there is any reason to believe you are purchasing alcohol for a minor, they HAVE to refuse the sale. It is the law!

You do not a RIGHT to purchase alcohol! Next time you should purchase it by yourself.

I agree that that is a pain in the butt, but it is not the Club's fault!

• Co
      26th of Feb, 2010

It's called a 3rd party alcohol sale, and it is VERY illegal. If the store were to get rolled by the police and/or audited, the cashier would be personally fined along with the store. No offense, but following the law to protect themselves and the store is more important than you getting your booze.

• Ge
      9th of Dec, 2010

[censor] you [censor].

He can get in SERIOUS trouble if you are an undercover cop. Its called 3rd party selling, and it happens alot. he sold the wine to the old woman in the line over, because its highly unlikely the 9 year old wanted to buy the alchohal..