Salvation Army Thrift Store / broken dryer

BroadwayBangor Maine 04401, United States Review updated:
Phone: 941-2993
We recently bought a dryer from our local salvation army. It was forty dollars which was a reasonable price for what it was. The cashier told me upon check out that if it didn't work they would be able to give us at least a store credit. Sure enough the heating element did not work. We returned the next business day to speak with a manager about a refund. He was called to the front three times and we waited over half an hour with a increasingly cranky 1.5 year old. Finally my husband went to the back of the store trying to find the manager. He was right there in the store. He crossed his arms and looked at him and said "what?" my husband caught off guard by his bluntness politely explained our problem. Jim the manager interrupted him and said "we have a no return policy". Now we have a 250 pound hunk of metal sitting in our house and have forty less dollars. Because one person (Or many) was dishonest the consumer was punished. I thought the salvation army was meant to help people like my family better afford reasonalbe accomidations, not to rip off the working poor. How christian is that? I'm pretty sure jesus didn't steal from the poor to pay the poor.
Jo

Comments

An
  23rd of Jan, 2009
tell me about it i have the same problem, i got a wedding dress for a friend and it didnt fit her. i called thrift store she said i can give u store credit but no money. well what else would i need from there, now its sitting in my closet and wasted my $50 dollars. atleast they should understand pplz problem..
Mi
  6th of Dec, 2009
SAME HERE BUY MANY ITEMS WAY TO EXPENSIVE SITING AROUND BECAUSE THEY DONT WORCK YOU DONT GET CREDIT BACK AND EVERYTHING IS OVER PRICE
BESIDES I LEARN THAT SOME OF THIS STORES CHECK PRICES ONLINE TO SELL
OTHER PEOPLE'S DONATIONS THATS VERY UNFAIR AND ITS A BAD PRACTICE
THE BAD THING ITS THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS
AND THEY HELP BUYING THIS WAY TO EXPENSIVE THINGS THIS ITS TRUE IF YOU WANT TO FIND OUT WRITE SOME OF THE ITEMS MODEL NUMBERS DOWN
AND CHECK FOR YOUR SELFS THE PRICES FOR BROKENG ITEMS UNBILIBIBABLE
THIS ITS SAD ITS NOT THE SAME EVERY BODY TAKES AVANTAGE OF OTHERS SPECIALY POOR PEOPLE LOOKING TO SAVE SOME MONEY.

The Salvation Army USA Logo The Salvation Army USA