Salvation Army Thrift Store / broken dryer

1 BroadwayBangor Maine 04401, United States Review updated:
Phone: 941-2993

We recently bought a dryer from our local salvation army. It was forty dollars which was a reasonable price for what it was. The cashier told me upon check out that if it didn't work they would be able to give us at least a store credit. Sure enough the heating element did not work. We returned the next business day to speak with a manager about a refund. He was called to the front three times and we waited over half an hour with a increasingly cranky 1.5 year old. Finally my husband went to the back of the store trying to find the manager. He was right there in the store. He crossed his arms and looked at him and said "what?" my husband caught off guard by his bluntness politely explained our problem. Jim the manager interrupted him and said "we have a no return policy". Now we have a 250 pound hunk of metal sitting in our house and have forty less dollars. Because one person (Or many) was dishonest the consumer was punished. I thought the salvation army was meant to help people like my family better afford reasonalbe accomidations, not to rip off the working poor. How christian is that? I'm pretty sure jesus didn't steal from the poor to pay the poor.

Jo

Comments

23rd of Jan, 2009

tell me about it i have the same problem, i got a wedding dress for a friend and it didnt fit her. i called thrift store she said i can give u store credit but no money. well what else would i need from there, now its sitting in my closet and wasted my $50 dollars. atleast they should understand pplz problem..

• Mi
      6th of Dec, 2009

SAME HERE BUY MANY ITEMS WAY TO EXPENSIVE SITING AROUND BECAUSE THEY DONT WORCK YOU DONT GET CREDIT BACK AND EVERYTHING IS OVER PRICE
    BESIDES I LEARN THAT SOME OF THIS STORES CHECK PRICES ONLINE TO SELL
    OTHER PEOPLE'S DONATIONS THATS VERY UNFAIR AND ITS A BAD PRACTICE
    THE BAD THING ITS THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS
    AND THEY HELP BUYING THIS WAY TO EXPENSIVE THINGS THIS ITS TRUE IF YOU WANT TO FIND OUT WRITE SOME OF THE ITEMS MODEL NUMBERS DOWN
    AND CHECK FOR YOUR SELFS THE PRICES FOR BROKENG ITEMS UNBILIBIBABLE
    THIS ITS SAD ITS NOT THE SAME EVERY BODY TAKES AVANTAGE OF OTHERS SPECIALY POOR PEOPLE LOOKING TO SAVE SOME MONEY.

• Ci
    The Salvation Army USA - Cashier
    Chicago, IllinoisChicago

Salvation Army at clybourn & Ashland in Chicago. Lincoln Park. Mgr refused to pack items into bag. Is it ever ok for the mgr/cashie to tell your last customer of the day when your wkly $50+ items is left on the counter after completing the transaction "it's after 10:00, we don't do that (pack your purchases in a bag) after 10:00 pm... you do it.

The Salvation Army USA - Royal Oak Michigan Store
    Royal Oak
    Michigan

It is my belief that the manager at the store located in Royal Oak Michigan is abusing alcohol as well as smoking Marijuana. Several employees at that location smoke in a daily basis. I don't think the leaders of this " Christan " based company would allow or promote such behaviour.

• Ez
    The Salvation Army USA - Store grounds filthy, full of trash
    Fort Lauderdale
    Florida

Store on: 7707 W Commercial Blvd, Sunrise, FL 33321

I want to this branch today and I couldn't believe how filthy the grounds are.
    There is trash everywhere; even a old tire is laying on the parking lot.

It makes you feel insecure, I won't be going there so soon.

Thank you in advance.

*Please send this email to whom it may concern.

• Am
      20th of Aug, 2018
    The Salvation Army USA - Bed prices are outrageous. Queens size used bed for over $750
    Hempstead
    New York

Salvation army on 194 front street has the most outrageous prices on their beds. Prices are even cheaper at Macy's and they are New. Please have it checked. Over $750 for a used queen size bed is beyond absurd. Also so many of their big ticketed items are not priced and they just come up with a price off the top of their heads. Very unorganized.

• Jm
    The Salvation Army USA - No Return/exchange policy
    Bloomington
    Minnesota

I purchased a good that was defective. I found out upon leaving the store and loading into my car. It was a folding rolling cart. It was in a package and i was unable to see that it did not open correctly before purchase.I went in to return rigjt after and was told no refunds or exchanges(even if defective), but they would take as donation.Crooks!

1st of Sep, 2018
    The Salvation Army USA - Toys for tots.
    Caldwell
    Idaho

Huge complaint. Contact me ASAP 208-582-4268 my name is Lalove King. It's to much to type but I have a very big complaint that's too much to type. Referring to the caldwell, ID location. Terrible review!!...seriously I need to speak with an actual person to resolve this!!!

2nd of Sep, 2018
    The Salvation Army USA - Salvation army shelter. Family dorm
    Austin
    Colorado
    salvationarmyaustin.org

Only been here a week and there is no heat.it feels like we are sleeping outside. Extremely filthy. Room has stains on floor and bed mattress. They don't have pillows. Bathrooms are terrible.

• El
      2nd of Sep, 2018
    The Salvation Army USA - Kicking me out of the shelter
    Petersburg
    Virginia

The case manager kicked me out of the shelter because she said I left my last residence volunterraily. I had a eviction notice and had to leave town because of people trying to kill me.Elbert Rutherford I had to sleep on the streets like I did before I came in

5th of Sep, 2018
    The Salvation Army USA - assistant manager in the Nostrand Avenue store in Brooklyn
    Brooklyn
    New York

Assistant manager in the Nostrand Avenue store in Brooklyn has been loud, aggressive, harassing people, disrespectful, attacking consumers, removes and hides new items from selling.

• Mi
      5th of Sep, 2018
    The Salvation Army USA - Customer service/issue with purchase & pick up
    Spencer, Ma

I purchased a couch this morning. I barrowed a truck this afternoon drove 40 minutes to pick it up and was told it was too late. I asked for a refund and was told no. Now out $95.00.
    Melissa Denham

• Am
      18th of Sep, 2018
    The Salvation Army USA - Very rude customer service
    Fort Wayne
    Indiana

When I approached the cash register, there was a dirty blonde haired worker named Amy . She was being very rude & disrespectful towards me for no reason . She gave me dirty looks & rolled her eyes when I asked questions . She wanted me to do HER JOB & take the clothes off of the hangers . But when I asked if it was her job she got snobby with me .

• Dg
      19th of Sep, 2018
    The Salvation Army USA - Mara Largo

I am disgusted that the Salvation Army would even consider having a conference at this expensive place, as a charity organization. Why in the world would you set it there, instead of some moderate costing conference setting!! I will never give to the Salvation Army again. I am appalled.

• Le
      14th of Oct, 2018
    The Salvation Army USA - Customer Service/Needs Improvement
    Matthews, NC

On 09/29/18, I made a purchase and apparently the items were not in my bag when I got home. On 10/01/18, I attempted to reach the Matthews store to request a hold on the items. Twelve calls to the direct store, corporate office and the operator line. No success. The phone rings and then terminates the call. ClerkID: Walker2, Ref #: 1098.

Thanks

• Al
      15th of Oct, 2018
    The Salvation Army USA - unlicensed radio on GMRS

Well after trying a large number of e-mails i found it's
    become very clear that the Salvation Army will not respond
    in any way! I however got the unlicensed radio operator off
    GMRS band when we took mobile antennas to and around
    Camp Tomahawk. We were meet on a public road by a very
    upset camp manager who thinks he can stop cars on public
    roads?