Salute Visa Gold / Surprised Cancellation

1 Atlanta, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8007089040

I just received a letter in the mail from Salute Visa - Notice of Termination of Card Program; stating that they "regretfully inform me that we are discontinuing Salute Vas Gold program. Consequently, we have closed your account to new transactions and may refuse to authorize any new transacctions effective immediately."

I had never been late with a payment, because I was enrolled in the auto pay and always paid more than the minimum. My prompt payments were rewarded with credit increases every 3 months. This was a good program that worked for me.

The letter states that I am obligated to pay the minimum required payment and be accessed an account fee or pay it in full.

No reason was given for this letter. I tried to call and was prompted with a busy signal. The credit card number would prompt me with my account info and then say I do not qualify and hang up. This is suspicious.

Does anyone know what is going on? What do you plan to do?

Lj

Comments

12th of Nov, 2008

I got the same letter. I went to the website and emailed. Got a reply today just that they discontinued the program. I replied and asked how they would be reporting the closed card to the credit bureaus... I am like you and were always on time and paid more than minimum and I asked why they would still charge an account maintenace fee if the card is not being used. I have not received an answer and honestly don't know if I will.

• Ke
      13th of Nov, 2008

I got the same answer also. When I called them they said the program is discontinued and I will have to pay back as if nothing has happened. I'm happy to pay it all back although I'm hoping they report everything to the credit bureaus right. The only reason I had them was to help my credit score!

17th of Nov, 2008

I too received the same letter. Am very upset, was using this card to rebuild my credit. I had already received 2 credit increases. It has been a very expensive card to have but was willing to pay it because i knew this would help my credit scores. Am so upset now somewhat confused as this has never happened to me before. Them telling me that i still have to pay for all the maintenance fees is just not fair.
    If any one has any updated information on this...PLEASE forward it to me. This company should not be able to get away with this. Very unfair.

• Ai
      19th of Nov, 2008

I am really upset with Salute right now. I have never been late and have been paying my balance way down for the last year so I could buy Christmas presents for my children without having a big dent in my bank account. Well I go to the store and load up my shopping cart with stuff for my children and find out from the cashier that my card did not work. I did not even recieve a letter. I also am pissed off about the annual fee they charged a month before the termination. That is BS!

29th of Nov, 2008

I also received the same letter, but only after I called customer service because I couldn't understand why my account was showing no credit available when I had just made a payment. I had been using this card also to rebuild my credit. I was never late, always paid more than the minimum, and received several credit limit increases. This is being reported to the credit bureau as account closed by consumer.

31st of Jan, 2009

I just found out today, 1/31/2009 .I was going online to set up a payment for next month like I always do when I noticed that my credit limit & available credit had been zeroed out.I was pissed then & Im pissed now, I paid these no good a** raping credit card b******s every month on time before time & usually more than the minimum amount due.
    I was told by a fella in India that it will show on your credit report that the account was closed by the company not for non payment but for administrative reasons or something to that affect, & that it would not show anything negative as long as the monthly payments are made INCLUDING the ACCOUNT MAINTANANCE FEES of $19.00 & some change a month, this fee is so that they can send you a statemant every month & report your payments or lack of payments to all three (3) credit bureaus every month.
    Someone get a lawsuit going this isnt right, we cant set back & let our good payment history go down the toilet, its very hard to re build credit.

• Da
      1st of Feb, 2009

I don't have the time to go into details, but I feel I don't have to since I have read my same story from other people. Trying to rebuild my credit I ordered the card, I was never late or missed a payment, my credit score was on the rise and then without warning my card was terminated. I called and called and each time I got a different story. Finding info of Urban Trust Bank credit card center is not possible, they are very well hidden. The website is "under construction", and according to other sources has been for a very long time. When you try to contact them by email there are a series of errors as to why the message can't be sent. The best I can come up with is the DC office # (202)842-9826. Is there any legal action that can be taken? Why can't my good standing with them be transferd to another product (card) they offer? Why should I have to start from scratch with another card owned by the same company with their insane activation fees, and other start up fees? Why because they have been doing this for many years I have found, the exact same thing dating back to 2007. There must be enough people out there who have been taken by this company that we can do something to improve our situations. Getting on my soap box for a minute, I am a disabled combat vet, wounded in action in Iraq and medically discharged. I deployed fighting for this country four times all before the age of twenty three, this is how I am treated by the same people I put my ### on the line for every day? Is there anyone who can help? there are many of us out there.

1st of Feb, 2009

I just contacted the Better Business Bureau & will be contacting the Mississippi attorney general tomorrow.I refuse to pay these a*****s $19.00 a month for this BS & $6.00 for that BS for a company that didnt even inform of what they were planning.I found out when I was online to set up a payment for later this month.I suggest everyone that has been screwed by Salute contact the BBB & your states Attorney Generals office & see what happens.Ive worked too damn hard to get my credit fixed after bankruptcy to have something like this happen, whats worse is I have a Tribute card, man they must have seen me coming.
    Keep this post going & lets see what happens, Im not going to call anymore, I get too mad everytime I have to talk to Hadji because the company is located in India & not the US, I have to bend my ear to understand them.
    Anyway, thats part 2 of my story, Lets hear part 2 of everyone elses story.
    And for what its worth I was told yesterday by Hadji that I would be getting a letter from Salute, way to stay ahead of the curve Salute, Thanks so much.

• Ba
      4th of Feb, 2009

Good morning Ohwoody and everyone else!!!

Like all of you; last night I attempted to go online to ensure that my payment has been posted. The site was down. This morning, upon accessing the site, I found my Credit Limit and Availability had been zero'd out. I called and was informed that the program had been cancelled. A letter had been sent out, like most of you received, however, I haven't even gotten my letter! Further, I was told that all credit card holders are being issued $75 Credit for the annual fee since the program was cancelled. As for our credit reports; the account closing should not affect a negative impact on our reporting, but show that the bank itself cancelled the program. My point is that how can they do this without at least 90 days written notice? And we are still liable for charges/balances already made!

Per customer service, their reason for terminating the program was due to the economy and the high risks of loss. Don't they think now they will lose more by closing our accounts?

My other concern, like you, is that I too have a Tribute Card. As of this morning my card was still activated and working. This card is through another bank, not that of Urban Trust. But whats to say this won't happen here too?

If anyone files a complaint further and legally, please feel free to let us/me know and will gladly join in...I have been a customer of Salute for 3 years and have multiple increases...now, to have it all taken away without warning just aggrivates me...

9th of Feb, 2009

I can't believe this kind of thing is just allowed to happen to so many people. This is my first credit card and I only had it for four months, paid the fees, and am now out all that money. This is a crime. I have no interest in ever doing business with visa again. I know a lawsuit would go nowhere because Visa has too much money for anyone to go up against them. All I can do is take this as a hard lesson learned. Total bummer Visa. I'm very displeased.

15th of Feb, 2009

I did file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I got a response from Salute saying that they prorated my annual fee and credited my account (which they did) but I am still responsible for paying the $6.00 monthly participation fee. I think that is still wrong. Of course, I know I still owe the balance, but without use of the card I don't think they should charge the $6.00 participation fee. On my credit report it shows "account closed by consumer". I also have a Tribute card and so far no problems with it and they are still accepting applications, but hopefully they will not do as Salute did.

• Gi
      21st of Feb, 2009

I also had my account closed by them. I paid my account in full every month and went to get gas one day and was declined. I got my letter AFTER I called them and complained. I did call back and raise holy hell and they refunded part of my yearly fee, since I had paid it 6 months prior, I got 50% of it back. You will have to gripe and ask to speak to their supervisor, but it's worth it to recoup some of your money. I am paying it back in full with Friday's paycheck and I refuse to pay their stupid maintenance fee. I am just glad mine didn't get canceled until after the holidays, I would have been up a creek for sure.
    I am severely ticked about this. I did get another credit card through another place, but I have to start with a $250 limit, my Salute limit was at $450. Frustrating! I never was late, always paid before the due date so never in the time that I had it did I ever pay any interest fees, since I always paid in full. Now I have to start all over.

10th of Mar, 2009

***UPDATE***

I filed a complaint through the St.Louis Better Business Bureau, which was then transferred to the Atlanta BBB, regarding the Salute Visa credit card.I received confirmation from the BBB last week & a letter from Salute Visa stating that they would waive all of the fees associated with this card since it has been discontinued.The letter(s) also stated that they would waive any remaing balance that was owed to them by me & that it would show on my credit report as "paid in full" account closed by creditor & that they would not put anything on credit report that is derogatory regarding my account with them.I checked & the balance has been zeroed out & Im holding onto the letters that they sent me stating what they did concerning that negative/derogatory comments on my credit report.I hope that this may help some of you.I THINK it worked out o.k. for me.
    ohwoody

• Ri
      5th of Jun, 2009

wow...a repeat of my account too...only they never sent me a closing statement. you would think that if they close the account...they would not be charging you late fees...penalty fees etc...my closing bill was $543.00 and since they closed the account...i took all my bank info off the site...i was paying using their paperless program, asked them to send me a closing statement and never received one..and still i havent received one...e-mailed them 10 times asking for a closing statement...always got a reply...we received your e-mail and someone will contact you soon...never happened. looked up my account and it was up to 1, 400, because of late fees and penalties. when contacted finally by them..they practically called me a liar and when i said i save each and every e-mail i sent them..then they decided to work with me and send a bill. yes this card is a rip-off, but many other people will get this card too and find out the hard way...they are incompetant fools out there at Salute Visa and I can see why they are failing...oh heres something else...they sent me a letter saying i was one of their most values customers, and if i wanted to join their gold club...i did...they charged my account for it..then two days later i get the letter they are cancelling my card, then two days later i get another letter from them stating that since i am a valued customer...do i want to join their other club..cannot remember the name...thats when i got mad ...lost it and cussed the sobs out!

• Ti
      25th of Jan, 2010

All of the stories sound exactly the same as mine, only the name of the card company is Tribute. I'd like to know if it is legal for them to charge me a annual fee for a card program that does not exist? Also, does any body know if they can charge late fees to the account. It seems to me the fact that the company decided to discontinue the program, that would make any "agreement" null/void. Any answers?