salliemae / False Forbearance

Deptford, NJ, United States Review updated:
SallieMae placed my loans into forbearance without my knowledge or consent, even though I've made my payments on time every month. When I asked the supervisor to fax me a copy of the form they claimed they had on file with my signature, he refused. They said they could only mail the form via regular mail. As a result of this involuntary forbearance, I was marked as delinquent on this month's payment, accrued additional interest, and lost the interest rate deductions I earned by making on-time payments. When I asked to have my reductions restored, I was told a request needed to be submitted to a manager. When I asked for a number and a contact so I could follow up with the request, I was told that was not possible. Additionally, some of my loans have not had any payments applied to the principal - only to the interest. When I called to ask why this was happening, I was given the explanation as to why interest accrues, but nothing more. I always speak with someone with a heavy accent, and as a result either do not understand what they are explaining, or they do not understand my questions.
Ja

Comments

Ca
  28th of Mar, 2008

salliemae - promised a $500 target gift card
Pennsylvania
Phone: 215-855-4469

as I finished a private consolidation for my school loan, a flashing sentence appeared saying I was the 999, 999 person on the site and just won a $500 gift card. I clicked to claim my "free" gift card and selected Target. Then it said to click on any of the sponsor offers below. Then to follow the instructions on the next page to complete the offer. I picked a "free trial" from the choices and then had to give a credit card for $6.95 for shipping and handling. After that, it said an email would be sent to my email address with more information about getting the $500 Target gift card. When I checked the email, it sent me a a web page that "does not exist". Give me my gift card or get this scam off the internet. THis makes legitimate companies not trusted.
St
  12th of Feb, 2009

salliemae - Student Loan
Wilkes-Barre
Pennsylvania
salliemae.com

My payments are due on the 11th of each month. I made a payment early which according to SallieMae essentially reset my payment date so that now that I'm making payments on the 11th, I am getting no credit towards my principle. Never do business with this company if you can avoid it.
Sh
  18th of Feb, 2009

salliemae - Rudness/lies/cheats
California

Sallie Mae in my eyes are liars, and I have had nothing but terrible customer service, I have been hung up on
by a salliemae employee, they have called me a liar, I have always paid my payments on time and for the last
5 months they have done nothing but harass me to get me to send a payment that was already sent two weeks earlier, and they have also been putting my payments in the wrong accounts. What really makes me want to
say a few unpleasant words is that I made a payment of $126.37 and after they recieved they turned my files over to their collections agency they called me and let me know that I needed to pay another $185.00 and $80.00 for the next payment. Sallie Mae would not answer their phones, finally they did. Itold them I wanted
that $185.00 back.

WARNING: THEIR COLLECTION AGENCY WON'T TELL YOU ABOUT ANY HIDDEN FEES.

I will never deal with salliemae again
Hm
  27th of Mar, 2009
SallieMae is horrible!!! I will never take a out a loan from them again! I am a young unexpectedly unemployed student. I filed for forbearance which was an added fee of #50, 4 months ago and still have no reply. During that 4 months i have struggled literally to pay the minimum payment, just recently got sent to collections for a while. During the whole time including right now I have been trying o get the number for forbearance to call, but I just keep getting the run around. I have gotten at least 7 numbers. Either they don't pick up, the line goes blank, or its a fax number. Someone even tried to argue with! I had to nip that in the bud!
What kind of "ethical" company would not even speak to a customer who is unable to pay a few months payment at that time? I still c can't reach the forbearance office to check on my $50, 4 month old application! DO NOT USE SALLIEMAE!
Ka
  13th of Apr, 2009

salliemae - missing loan
ivytech community collage
Kokomo
Indiana
hptts://ivytech.edu

I, m very upset with salliemae as i should of gotten my second installement mailed to me instead of sallimae sending it to ivytech. i still have not recived my check. and ifeel that some one need to be responsble and fix this problem. as i, m faced with having my credit reuend because of some one elses misstake. and i, faced with loosing my cumputer as well as repaying for a loan i did, nt reciveand al the money i have put on the cumpter. i feel that salliemae is responible for making sure that the loan is recevied by the recipent not the school. please help me with this matter and save my credit and my cumpter for school. Please email me at kathy, enyart@yahoo, com about this matter as soon as possible.
Le
  15th of Apr, 2009

salliemae - Horrible &Customer Service&
Phone: 1-888-272-5543
SallieMae.com

I am paying off my student loan with SallieMae. The monthly payments are due on the 3rd week of every month. I am always calling to make a simple request (that the payment due date is changed from the 3rd week to the 4th week of every month. They are always saying " Once we get your payment we can do that for you". So they get my payment and I call them back. Another person is metioning the same thing. Till this day they haven't changed the due date for payment. A lot of the time the people on the other side of the phone are so rude. About 10 min ago, I called and the person had a big accent. I couldn't understand what she was saying, because of her accent and she was speaking so fast. I politely asked her to speak slowly, so I can understand her.. Then she hangs up on me!!! - People on the other side of the phone, "IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO YOUR JOB, LEAVE." YOUR WASTING OUR TIME!
Ab
  18th of Aug, 2009
I, too, have had horrible experiences dealing with their customer service. A few days ago, I had to call them about my loan status.

I had to call four times and had to wait 20 minutes each time only to be answered by an unattended phone (I could hear someone talking about me in the background) followed by being hung up on shortly after.

When I finally managed to get a hold of a person, he wasn't very knowledgeable and I spent extended periods of time on hold while he figured out what to do about my situation

I had to call them again today and the same thing happened, only I ended up talking to someone with a very thick accent, so it was double frustrating. Of course, I didn't get put on hold. There was just a really long awkward pause shortly after me and the rep exchanged hellos.
Sr
  29th of Nov, 2009

salliemae - Tactics
Salliemae
Virginia

I co-signed (two) student loans for my son who had (four) different loans with Salliemae. He has become a deadbeat and Salliemae is hoping to get me to pay for loans I am not responsible for. I suppose they think I will try to hound my deadbeat son for them. Problem is I have not seen him and couldn't help Salliemae collect from him even if I wanted to. They told me just to send my payments in and they will apply the money to the loans I co-signed for. I tried that last year and they applied my payments to my son's loans and sent me a letter stating my loans were delinquent. After months of phone calls and speaking to various levels of Salliemae employees, I finally got someone who showed me how to go online and specify where my payments went. After three or four months of finally seeing for myself where the payments were going, Salliemae decided to lock me out of the account because my son was not paying his loans. I was told I may not be able to get into that account again until it is brought current. I stated that my co-signer responsibility was current and they said nevertheless, until my son's other loans were brought current, the account is locked. To me, this does not seem fair. I would love to sue them for the aggrivation they are causing me in trying to pay off my responsibilities.
Sv
  3rd of Dec, 2009

salliemae - Harrassment
Sallie Mae

Unbelievable trying to deal with SallieMae. Despite letters and telephone calls to SallieMae nothing is ever resolved. These folks are a SCAM from the word go. With representatives who can't speak English and a script to read from they are from hell. Don't try to work with these folks. They will NOT respond to written communication and will NOT let you record their conversations. Rude, obnoxious, and criminal. They put the mob to shame with their tactics.
Ro
  3rd of Apr, 2010
I think that it depends on the time of day that you call. I remember calling a few days after Thanksgiving to check on my sons payment going through, and I have a horrible wait time getting through to anyone. I just called last Wednesday however and had no trouble getting through, and the woman on the other end seemed reasonably nice.
St
  28th of Aug, 2010

salliemae - Inflated loan
Salliemae
New Jersey

I have read the complaints on Salliemae practices and I too am a victum of their bad business practices. My son has delibrately walked away from his loan and I as the co-signer have picked up the loan responsibility the first time I recieved notice he wasn't paying. I have paid $9, 000.00 + dollars on a $20, 000 loan that in 2 years has gone up to $33, 000.00. I have hired an attorney to address this but I don't feel I will get too far with them. It is time for a class action suit against this institution because they are out of control with collections, fees and intrest rates. The FDIC needs to get involved also but this won't happen unless there is a collective effort from all of the people that have been scammed or taken advantage of by this organization.
Bi
  11th of Feb, 2011

salliemae - Student loans

SallieMae purchased one of our student loans and neglected to inform us in a timely fashion. We had allready submitted our payment to the previous loan owner 5 days before we got the letter from SallieMae stating that they had purchased our loan. In the letter from SallieMae it stated that there was a 45 day grace period during which our payments would be forwarded from the previous loan company (great lakes).
Fast forward to the next month after we have made our first payment to Sallie Mae and are still technically in our 45 day grace period. We get a letter stating we will be reported to the credit bureaus if we do not submit payment for the prior month (the payment we had paid before any knowledge of the loans new owner had been given to us). Now all payments were made in good faith and I use electronic bill pay through our bank so we got a copy of those along with a copy of the letter from Sallie Mae, we had the bank records signed and notorized by the bank manager and attempted to get in contact with Sallie Mae to rectify this. After 45 minutes in telephone prompt land we finally got to talk to a person (in some foreign land but still a person), we were given a fax number (which was wrong so we had to call back again). We faxed the info. After a week more correspondence stating non payment. Annother call and they stated they did not recieve the fax and that we would have to make the payment.
I do not know what to do from this point as we made the payment in good faith, we continue to make payments. It is very time consuming to talk to a person at Sallie Mae and I know it would be cheaper for me to double pay than to spend more time trying to contact them and in contacting a lawyer.
Sa
  22nd of Mar, 2013

salliemae - Fooled by Sallie
Salli Mae

You will not resolve their issues but I want everyone to know some of their problems. The first person you speak with is always nice and then you are transferred once you give your information. Not all the time, but most of the time the person you speak with next is already arguementative and pissed off because the calls they get are people pissed because Sallie Mae screwed something up. The worst company I have ever dealt with. There are so many other companies to use, please don't do what I did and use Sallie Mae. Everytime you need to speak with someone you will be let down. I talked to Latricia in the ghetto (I know this because she said "I'm in the ghetto dawg"). I was then transferred to I think it was Alger, or Aljeer (English is definitely not his first or second language). I have been told lies when people don't know what the answer is, given the wrong pay date, the wrong forbearance end date, invalid credit card entry (put someone elses name with my credit card info, how that happens only god knows), a voided credit card entry that made my payment late because no one put a name on the card I used after I changed it so I had to pay late fees (i.e. they just ran the card without anyones name on it after I told them who's ever name is on the card is not mine and gave them my name), and not to mention sitting on hold for hours out of a day to try to find someone that has more brains then my dog. I have had the phone hung up on me by some lady who would not give me her name or code. I have never been put on hold so many times in my life with a company. For a while I thought they may just not write anything down and just agreee with you and act like they are doing things to your account, but I figures it out I think they write things down with crayons, that is why they can never keep track of anything. I am an attorney myself so I do not need anyone to contact me, but I will help anyway I can if you send me an email. Also, this isn't a big deal but everytime I call they have the wrong address for me listed so I don't get anything in the mail. I have given them my address twice and no one will change it. I tried to get email notices since they can't figure out how to write my address so they can read it (it is hard sometimes with crayons) but have never recieved one email.
Ja
  12th of Jun, 2013

salliemae - Student Loan
SallieMae

I needed to adjust my student loan payment plan and applied with my loan servicer SallieMae for their Extended Graduated Repayment Plan. The first two years consisted of interest only payments and after that interest and principal with payments gradually increasing by approximately $30 a month every 2 years until the loan is paid off.

When I got my confirmation notice from SallieMae today the plan they put me in was not the plan I had applied for. They put me in an extended repayment plan with the first 15 months being interest then they jacked up my monthly payments by $100 for the remaining 28 years and 9 months. It's not anywhere close to the plan I applied for.

When I contacted customer service I got their call center in India and the woman I spoke to was totally unhelpful. Instead of resolving the problem by getting me into the correct repayment plan, she kept saying she re-did the math and the numbers they sent me in my notification were correct. I explained to her no fewer than 4 times that the math wasn't the issue, the payment plan was. She then said she'd file some sort of report for review and that I'd hear from them in 6-8 weeks. I'm not holding my breath.

I then called the Direct Loan Program to inquire about doing a Special Consolidation loan with the government because I want to get rid of SallieMae. The good news is it's possible. The bad news is there are only 2 companies contracted by the feds to manage student loan payments. Guess who one of them is...SallieMae.

Congress spends all this time messing around coming up with schemes for new borrowers when the real problems are faced by the people who've been paying their student loans for years at up to 8% compounded interest, and forced to deal with incompetent, inflexible loan servicers. Thanks for nothing congress.

Sallie Mae Bank Logo Sallie Mae Bank