Sallie Mae / Horrible Customer Service

1 VA, United States Review updated:

Sallie Mae's customer service is a joke. Forget trying to talk to someone that even speaks english.

I was recently charged twice on my bank account. So I call them to try and get my bank account straight..hah. They pretty much tell me too bad, you may get a refund, you may not. Fax us a letter and a bank statement we'll get back to you in 7 days when they clearly said " I do see where we charged you twice." Then refund me! It's really not the difficult. Thank you Sallie Mae.

Comments

• Sh
      19th of Feb, 2009

I agree that Sallie Mae customer service is a joke, and I know what you mean about getting charged
    twice, their collection dept took 195.00 out of my account twice.
    I trying to find out what I can do, whom I can talk to, and where I can go because I live in california,

Did you get your refund?

I called Sallie Mae and asked about my refund they said it would be 30 days, I said that is to long
    I had talked to the Credit Union I bank with and that I have an affidavit for them to take over, I recieved my
    refund from the credit union, because they have proof that I paid all my payments.
    They are taking over. You should do the same.

• Or
      4th of Nov, 2009

Sallie Mae is a marvelous ###.

• Or
      4th of Nov, 2009

Pardon my aggression, but Sallie Mae is a marvelous ###.

I was charged twice, was then told that a refund check would be issued overnight. 10 days and 125 phone calls later - NO CHECK!

Everyone claims that they can't answer my question so they continue to transfer me until I reach an inactive line that disconnects the call.

I'm making scheduled payments regularly so I feel I'm owed more professional treatment from such a large company. My business relationship with them has been awful and it's unfortunate that they can get away with this behavior.

• Br
      3rd of Mar, 2010

I am in complaint agreeance with all above statements! I don't claim to be the best at paying my loans all the time, but I just recently authorized Sallie Mae to take $200 out of my checking account to cover a payment. I discovered this weekend that not only was that amount pending to my account, but so was an amount of $199.95 (an amount that was never mentioned to me, nor authorized). My bank informed me that it was probably just some sort of account hold that would be returned back to my account once the $200 went through. Well today i checked my bank account and discovered i was now over drawn. I discovered that both amounts were taken by Sallie Mae which caused the other bills I had payed afterwards result in over draft fees totaling $105. I contacted S.M. and went through the circle of thick accents trying to get things cleared up. They asked me to fax a copy of my bank statement showing the withdrawls along with the overdrafts so they could review them and "get back to me". Well I faxed it during my lunch break and called after work, to just verify that they recieved the fax. Apparently a company as big as S.M. cannot let you know until 48hrs whether or not they get a fax. They can make dozens of calls to us (the ones making the loan payments) each day, but can't make one call to the department getting the faxes. And that department cannot recieve calls from anyone else. Oh, and did I mention that I was told all of this by the all powerful "Floor Supervisor" which is as high up as you can go apparently. There is so much to say, but thats a brief statement of my experience with them today.