Sallie Mae / Rip off payments

Sallie Mae cashed checks and have not applied them to my account. They are a bunch of thieves! I have called them repeatedly over the past 2 months and they still have not resolved this. One of my last 2 payments was actually added to my account increasing monies owed instead of deducting it as a payment. My bank has record of them cashing both checks. I really need to start a lawsuit filing for fraud. I am at the end of my ropes; meanwhile the interest continues to build. God knows what country we are calling when we contact the idiots at sallie mae. Do you have any suggestions of what I can do? What attorney may be able to assist me?

Ja

Comments

• Ha
      24th of Mar, 2010

I am having a similar problem with Sallie Mae right now. I made a payment at the beginning of the month, which they are insisting they did not receive. They keep calling and sending collection letters. Meanwhile, not only is my account is listed as up-to-date on their online site, but they also emailed me a statement reflecting that. My bank informed me that the check was indeed cashed by Sallie Mae. When I call the customer service people and explained the situation they keep telling me that my account is delinquent---as if they haven't been listening to a word I said. I told on rep that check was cashed and he said I must have sent it to someone else! I told him that my account was listed as current on their site and he said that it couldn't possibly be!

Today one of their reps asked me to fax the last statement they emailed me (!!!) reflecting that the payment had been made. Then when I asked to speak to a supervisor, he disconnected me. I called back and had to go through the same thing all over again with another person. It's hard to believe that this company actually operates in such an unacceptable, incompetent fashion.

• Pa
      9th of Jul, 2010

I have had the same problem with my checks being cashed but not applied. The harrassing phone calls are rediculous. I was told at first to fax copies of the cashed checks to a fax number they provided to take care of it. Meanwhile the calls came every day, sometimes two times a day. I know the faxes went through because I have the proof it was received. A week later I was still getting call. I told them that I had faxed the proof of checks cashed but then got transferred around the world trying to get the issue taken care of. Finally one guy told me the other faxes weren't enough and I had to fax them copies of my entire bank statements. I told them that was rediculous and that I wouldn't even send my statements to my parents, let alone them! After talking to a "supervisor" using the term loosely, he told me that sending the statements was the only way to fix the problem. I told him I was going to file a complaint and he told me he was as high as I could go and he would pass it on. What a jerk! I finally did fax over my statements, with everything blacked out but the bank name and the place showing the checks cashed by sallie mae. Of course I'm still getting the harrassing phone calls. If anyone knows how to start a class action suit I'm soooo on board!!! Pam, Tampa Florida

• He
      24th of Sep, 2010

Same EXACT problem. I have faxed them proof of payment AND my statements and still they don't apply the payment to my account. I have spent hours on the phone and also going back and forth via e-mail, all to no avail. I feel totally helpless since they are a government agency. I would love to know what recourse we have!

• Ky
      21st of Jan, 2011

My son is having a similar problem. I too told him he should file a suit. Sallie Mae back in July 2010, sent back his loan payments, with a note attached that he had the wrong account numbers. Keep in mind, these are the same account numbers he has used since he started repaying the loans. I really wish everyone who has loans through them would nail them to the wall.

• En
      22nd of Mar, 2012

LISTEN TO ME PLEASE. SALLIE MAE HAS RUINED MY FINAL SEMESTER IN COLLEGE. I AM IN MY FINAL MOMENTS IN MY DEGREE AND I AM NOT ONLY HARASSED, MY DEBT JUMPED 30, 000 INCREASE WHILE I WAS PAYING THEM BACK DURING A SEMESTER IN WHICH I DID NOT TAKE A LOAN AND A SEMESTER IN WHICH I HAVE NO MONEY SINCE MY SCHOOL TOOK EVEY PENNY RTO MY NAME. WE NEED TO ORGANIZE A NATIONAL CAMPAIGN TO REFORM THESE LOANS AND AUDIT THESE CROOKS. THE HARASSMENT IS AN ADDED BONUS I GUESS.