Salinas Heald College / Externships

Pu Review updated:

About 6 months ago I began my Medical Assistant Externship. We are required to complete a total of 160 hours at a clinic setting over a period of 10 weeks in order to graduate. The site I was placed in was Gonzales Medical Group, for the next few weeks I worked hard in order to complete these said hours along w 3 other classes. I did everything according to the guidelines, wrote down everything I came across such as injections, rooming patients, vital, etc., and faxed the hours I completed each week and regularly called in to check on the total of these hours but to no avail. I was never able to get ahold of the woman handeling the hours and resorted to tallying them up myself. One week before the end of the quarter my program director calls me stating that I am missing a total of 30 hours which is complete and utter nonsense because even though I am not a mathematician I think I know how to to do addition. All I can say is that I was completely devestated she informed me that I had to return to the clinic and ask to be let on board again to complete the final 30 hours in 3 days or else redo the 160 hours. I immediately called the clinic hoping for the best but the office manager was hardly ever on site, I went in person time and time again but came up short. Needless to say I cried so hard at the realization that I would have to complete another set of 160 hours all because of the misscommunication with the school. As of now I am redoing my externship with the Soledad Medical Clinic, so far I have 21 hours completed and am oh so bitter and humiliated at the fact that I tried so hard to do so good, I am even angry and frustrated with the way the school handled my dilema because not only am I redoing double the hours but I was fortunate, yes I do mean fortunate but in an obviously sarcastic way, enough to have been in an automobile accident on the way to this said clinic and am at a loss for words to describe this ordeal.

Comments

• In
      Jul 25, 2011

If you can’t even communicate with a school how the hell are you going to work on people? Umm sorry doctor I couldn’t get a hold of you and that is why the patient died. Please, when you get a job, let us know where it is so we can avoid it like the plague.

• Fr
      Sep 16, 2011
    Salinas Heald College - Avoid dealing with this ppl
    Salinas Heald College

About 6 months ago I began my Medical Assistant Externship. We are required to complete a total of 160 hours at a clinic setting over a period of 10 weeks in order to graduate. The site I was placed in was Gonzales Medical Group, for the next few weeks I worked hard in order to complete these said hours along w 3 other classes. I did everything according to the guidelines, wrote down everything I came across such as injections, rooming patients, vital, etc., and faxed the hours I completed each week and regularly called in to check on the total of these hours but to no avail. I was never able to get ahold of the woman handling the hours and resorted to tallying them up myself. One week before the end of the quarter my program director calls me stating that I am missing a total of 30 hours which is complete and utter nonsense because even though I am not a mathematician I think I know how to to do addition. All I can say is that I was completely devestated she informed me that I had to return to the clinic and ask to be let on board again to complete the final 30 hours in 3 days or else redo the 160 hours. I immediately called the clinic hoping for the best but the office manager was hardly ever on site, I went in person time and time again but came up short. Needless to say I cried so hard at the realization that I would have to complete another set of 160 hours all because of the miscommunication with the school. As of now I am redoing my externship with the Soledad Medical Clinic, so far I have 21 hours completed and am oh so bitter and humiliated at the fact that I tried so hard to do so good, I am even angry and frustrated with the way the school handled my dilemma because not only am I redoing double the hours but I was fortunate, yes I do mean fortunate but in an obviously sarcastic way, enough to have been in an automobile accident on the way to this said clinic and am at a loss for words to describe this ordeal.