Sales Point / WRT Group

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

own a very small IT business which was set up following a long and totally disabling illness. I had to give up teaching and lecturing and set up the business which is run on a very part time basis as energy levels allow. I have returned to teaching on a part time basis.

A salesman persistently called by phone. Eventually I agreed to meet him at my home.

The salesman offered advertising on a post box in our local branch of Sainsbury's.

I declined the offer due to the very high cost. I explained that I could not possibly risk such a large sum of money as advertising in our local newspapers failed to produce a single customer.

The salesman, on his way to the door, turned round and then misrepresented and/or deliberately lied on several important details, offering a far more attractive deal with much lower costs including the right to cancel at any time and have a full refund on all monies paid (except for initial deposit of £157.58 for artwork etc) if no customers came forward. This is roughly what I would have spent advertising locally and thought it was a reasonably good deal. I again asked him to confirm that I could cancel if there were no customers and he again confirmed that. That lessened the risk considerably. I signed up.

No copy of the "agreement" was left with me.

Artwork arrived after several weeks. It was of extremely poor quality. I had to design my own artwork which was sent to WRT. A copy of my original design was then posted back to me for approval.

The salesman said that the advertising campaign was imminent

The post box advertising started months after the suggested time scale set out by the salesman. It commenced just before Christmas.

Not a single customer responded even during the busy Christmas period.

I wrote a letter of cancellation which I was told I was entitled to do by the salesman. My first letter was ignored. Later I had a phone call demanding money. I explained the situation and was told to email Customer Services. I emailed them a copy of my letter

Other people state that all Customer Services are interested in is prohibiting people from cancelling their contracts and threatening them with legal action. "Don't touch them with a bargepole" is how one of their customers put it.

Customer Services and Accounts at WRT Group plc sent a letter demanding the rest of the entire sum (over £500) and said that I could not cancel.

A further demand for payment later arrived threatening legal action and the hiring of a debt recovery company.

I again wrote to Customer Services repeating the information I had already given them and outlining the problems I had experienced with WRT. I warned them that I would expose them and would contact Sainsbury's (who seem to endorse this particular company - but for how much longer if they treat their customers like this?), Watchdog and others.

As their correspondence indicates they are still insisting on payment of the full amount I will contact the managing directors of Sainsbury, Tesco and all other companies they deal with to let them know how this company treats their advertisers. I will also contact the OFT, Trading Standards, Which? Magazine am seriously considering taking legal action against these sharks. I will demand full repayment on everything plus compensation payments for harassment and the time spent on writing letters etc.

A more detailed letter arrived stating that an investigation had taken place, that the salesman denied making such claims, that the artwork was satisfactory (as I had approved my own copy), that the timescale was within reason (even by their calculations it was many months), that I am locked into a full two year contract with them and there is no facility whatsoever to cancel, despite what their salesman promised and that I owe them the full amount.

I think their attitude is indecent, dishonest, outrageous, greedy and probably illegal and will be taking legal advice in this matter.

It would appear that others have experienced similar problems to me. Just look at comments made on the Internet about this company.

I urge NOBODY to even consider dealing with these LIARS and CROOKS.

Jo

Comments

• Wi
      2nd of May, 2009

i've just been conned by them to by a salesman useing the same tacktics. i'm writting to watchdog, do the same and hopfully they will take them on.
    zoe
    www.willowyck-kennels.co.uk

28th of May, 2009

I have had dealings with WRT and found them very helpful indeed!
    My advert' is on a board in Farnham Homebase! I complained about the position of the board and aGentleman from the company investigated the position and to my surprise the board was moved at their expense as a stand had to be made for it. So, as I have had 2 leads since, one turned into a job (this has covered my advert' for the 1st year!!!) KEEP IT UP WRT and thanks.

Mark (Kitchens)

15th of Jun, 2017

@Mark you sound like the [censor] I smacked with ginger hair! Wee marky from the office

28th of May, 2009

My wife took an advertisment on a postbox in Taunton Tesco and we are recieving at least 5 calls a week from it so far. Seems a good job to me.
    Plasterer.

John

12th of Jun, 2009

I find it very strange that both of the people who have made positive comments about WRT did it within a day of each other .
    Oh. One lives 200 miles away from his wife (she lives in Taunton and he lives in London. The other travels some 50 miles to work. He lives in Southampton and works in Farnham.

15th of Jun, 2017

@John Yup, Its Mark the ginger office [censor] who is posting the good comments about his own ventures

15th of Jun, 2009

Hello Willowzo
    Please forward full details to me at jhsecs@aol.com. I will include them in a report I am compiling for the Police and the places where these criminals advertise. The more information I have the better.
    John

24th of Jul, 2009

WRT Group plc

Fraudsters and Liars – More details

KEEP WELL AWAY FROM THESE CROOKS!!!

They use the good names of Sainsbury, Tesco and Debenhams to rip off as many local advertisers as they can.

I own a very small IT business which was set up following a long and totally disabling illness. I had to give up teaching and lecturing and recently set up the business which is run on a very part time basis as energy levels allow. I have also returned to teaching on a part time basis.

A salesman from Sales Point (WRT) persistently called by phone. Eventually I agreed to meet him at my home.

He told me the following:

1. Market research – Customers leaving the local Gravesend Sainsbury’s store were polled. They indicated that the top of their list of advertisers for the postbox would be a reliable local IT repair company. LIES!!!

2. The advertisements have produced excellent results around the country. LIES!!!

3. Their company offers the highest standards of customer care. LIES!!!

4. Sainsbury’s and other companies have been pleased to associate their names with WRT due to the highest quality of service WRT delivers to its customers. There no evidence of that, but plenty of evidence to the contrary from other customers. LIES!!!

5. I would have exclusive IT rights advertising on the postbox. LIES!!!

6. Their postbox advertising methods are highly effective and generate large numbers of customers. LIES!!!

7. The advertising campaign was imminent. LIES!!!

8. Several other comments were made, all LIES!!

I declined the offer due to the very high costs involved. I explained that I could not possibly afford to risk such a large sum of money. I attempted to escort him to the door.

The salesman, on his way to the door, turned round and then further deliberately misrepresented and/or lied on several more important details, offering a much more attractive deal with much lower costs…LIES!!! including my right to cancel at any time…LIES!!! and have a full refund on all monies paid (except for initial deposit of £157.58 +VAT for artwork etc)…LIES!!! if no customers came forward.

This is roughly what I would have spent advertising locally and thought it was a reasonably good deal. I again asked him to confirm that I could cancel if there were no customers and he again confirmed that….LIES!!! That lessened the risk considerably.

I said I would think it over and asked him to ring back after we returned from holiday. He told me that the advertising campaign was imminent ….LIES!!! and I had to decide there and then because another company would have taken my slot by the time we returned. LIES!!!. I signed up for the deal he described.

No copy of the “agreement” was left with me. The salesman had previously handed me a brochure but I had already given it back to him.

Artwork arrived after several weeks. It was of extremely poor quality. I had to design my own artwork which was sent back to WRT. My original design was then posted back to me for approval.

The post box advertising actually started months after the suggested time scale set out by the salesman, just before Christmas.

Not a single customer responded even during the busy Christmas period.

I wrote a letter of cancellation which I was told I was entitled to do by the salesman. My first letter was ignored. Later I had a very abrupt phone call demanding money. I explained the situation and was told to email Customer Services. I emailed them a copy of my cancellation letter.

A further demand for payment arrived threatening legal action and the hiring of a debt recovery company.

I again wrote to Customer Services repeating the information I had already given them. I warned them that I would expose them and would contact Sainsbury’s (who seem to endorse this particular company - but for how much longer if they treat their customers like this?), BBC Watchdog and others.

WRT customers on the Internet state that all WRT Customer Services are interested in is prohibiting people from cancelling their contracts and threatening them with bailiffs and legal action if they don’t pay up.

“Don’t touch them with a bargepole” is how one of their customers put it.
    I would suggest that this shower, or so called “company” is no better than common thieves and fraudsters.

I wrote again suggesting that fraud had taken place and their operations require a full investigation by the Office of Fair Trading.

A short while later another letter arrived stating that an internal investigation had taken place, that the salesman denied making one of my claims (I assume he admitted all of the others?), that the artwork was satisfactory (as I had approved my own copy), that the timescale was within reason (even by their calculations it was many months), that I am locked into a full two year contract with them and there is no facility whatsoever to cancel, despite what their salesman promised and that I owe them the full amount which is in excess of £500. They would sue if I did not pay up immediately.

I think their whole approach is indecent, dishonest, fraudulent, outrageous, greedy and illegal. It must be stopped immediately.

It would appear that many others have experienced similar problems to me. Just look at comments made on the Internet about this “company”.

I urge NOBODY to even consider dealing with these LIARS and CROOKS.

I am presently collating information about these fraudulent parasites from previous and existing customers of theirs. A fascinating pattern is emerging which relies on individuals being swindled by completely dishonest and ruthless salesmen, then being sold one product but actually signing up to a far more expensive in an unwanted but so called legally binding deal. The customer then feels totally isolated and helpless, being made to feel that it is their fault and that they are the only ones suffering at the hand of these crooks.

I have had very many sleepless nights as a result of their fraudulent operations and threatening demands and my health has suffered.

This so called “company” is hiding behind honourable and highly respected High Street names….but for how much longer? Once word gets out about their fraudulent sales techniques they will be immediately dropped – and quite rightly so.

If you have had dealings (good or bad) with WRT or Service Point (or any other branch of their company advertising in Sainsbury, Debenhams, Homebase or Tesco etc) please email me at jhsecs@aol.com.

TO DATE, IN A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME, I HAVE HAD MANY REPORTS OF FRAUD, INTIMIDATION AND THREATS.

I will be taking my evidence to the Police, the Office of Fair Trading and will post copies to the managing directors of Sainsbury’s, Tesco and every other place WRT have advertising placements in.

UPDATE
    The crooks have hired a debt recovery company. I will keep you informed of the unfolding events. What I find hard to believe is their complete lack of even the most basic standards of decency.

From what others have told me I have worked out their fraudulent scam tactics. It will be posted here and elsewhere on the Internet shortly.

• Fo
      15th of Jun, 2017

@John you are solely responsible for signing up with them in the first place lol!

Tough titties big lad!

Now, quit crying and focus on taking your "evidence to the police" lol you pathetic piece of [censor]

• El
      29th of Jul, 2009

I too am an IT consultant and have just signed up for the tesco savings scheme card/ad board, total cost incl deposit: £598 for a 2 year span.
    I only wish I hadn't been a sucker to their high pressure sales tactics, and checked here first... :(

20th of Jan, 2012

AVOID WRT GROUP PLC!! Advertising with WRT Group is a complete and utter waste of money - don't get scammed by these crooks. I signed up for £10 per month (as much as its worth) but instead WRT Group took £270 each month taken out of my account. Anyone questioning the reviews above - I think these photos of the concealed WRT Group stands in Homebase speak for themselves!!! Following my complaint about this set up, they were not even prepared to offer me anything (apart from more time on the stand which I passed on thanks very much). I think the fact that the big wigs tesco, sainsburys etc support this company (whilst obviously avoiding any type of responsibility) is disgraceful. Talk about screwing over small businesses WRT Group. Thanks a bunch.

20th of Jan, 2012

WRT Group display boards

21st of Jan, 2012

Just to clarify on cost, it was the above cost for 6 months and £1366.80 in total for 24 months. Perhaps doesn't seem much compared to other forms of advertising but it does when you consider you get nothing back from it. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Tt
      28th of Jan, 2012

I am a local plumber and i have been using wrt for some years now possibly my third term.The cost i pay is £11 per week for unlimited amounts of discount cards within sainsburys it gives me regular business compared with other forms of advertising.The artwork at first took longer than i would like but all is fine with no complaints from me, as i am thinking of taking another store!! as my son is thinking of coming on board working with me.

• Jp
      26th of Oct, 2012

WRT Group = AVOID!!!
    After receiving persistent calls from this company I eventually agreed for a 'salesperson' to visit me to discuss their advertising service.

On the day (Back in 27/10/2011), it was an extremely high pressured affair. I explained that I really needed to discuss with my other two Directors and was informed it would be no problem to sign up on the day, there and then, as I could always cancel the agreement if need be.

A few days later, I wrote to the company (recorded delivery), asking not to proceed with any print proofs etc... and sent an email also but only received a telephone reply stating the contract cannot be cancelled as it was a "business to business" contract and apparently clearly stated so on the agreement (It actually did, but was in very small print). An email later emerged with printing proofs for me to accept (I didn't) which were of a poor quality as I had not been given any input into the artwork!

Several phone calls later, I felt I had concluded the matter amicably and reluctantly agreed that I would not get my initial deposit back and would just end the agreement forthwith.

On 26/10/2012 I received a letter from a collections agency (UK Debt Enforcement Agency) stating I owed WRT Group £1752 as I signed up to an agreement that has "no cooling off period" as it was a "business to business" contract.

I called the agency to explain my case but they state it is a legally binding agreement and would not discuss further.

I've researched on the Internet and found many people with a similar experience (https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/sales-point-c190631.html). We are a very small business in our first year and cannot afford this expense.

This entire agreement has been mis-represented under a high pressure sales environment.

I have also sent full details today to trading standards (Blackpool) and even BBC Watchdog!

This company will certainly NOT be dealing with my business again.

AVOID & BEWARE!

19th of Nov, 2012

I singned up in august and after wrong Qr codes on my leaflets which advertised other companies, they have just in the last 2 weeks put my new advert in homebase. They charged me double on my first installment and it took 2 weeks to get my money back, they agreed to spread the cost over a year costing 130 per month and have just charged me £628 this month and will prob take me 2 weeks to get a refund again. I want to cancel but they say i CAN NOT. What do i do!!! STAY AWAY FROM THEM ITS NOT WORTH IT !!! also they said i could go to store and pick up any amount of leaflets for my own use, when i asked for a bundle of leaflets from the store they just said we haven't anything with the board and dont have stock, so i took some out of the board and they haven't been filled up in the past week and a half !!! Take my advice and stay way from them...

19th of Nov, 2012

Has anyone got any idea how to cancel advert with wrt group ltd homebase advert. Just been on the phone again and they will not cancel???? even tho they keep over charging me...

• Mi
      25th of Feb, 2013

STAY WELL CLEAR!!
    I had a salesman CON me into taking out advertising with this company. He pressurised me and said I had to decide on the day. (Including paying a deposit of £295) He told me not to worry that I could cancel within 30 days if not happy. The campaign started a month late (this took me past my 30 days) another dirty tactic. The machine was nowhere near the location that it was on the site sheet provided. Only 3 checkouts out of 30 passed the machine. The machine was out of order every time I went in to check, I have 2 kids and shop in tesco 2-3 times a week! They also had the machine where the stack the baskets making the machine inaccessible! I wrote to them and called them straight away to cancel but to my surprise the 30 day cooling off period did not exist! ( I was over this anyway as previously mentioned) I had 2 stores for my business in Inverness. 2 years passed... Not one single enquiry! (I know this because my cards had a 10% discount on them) The customer care is absolutely shocking! They don't care about what you have to say! Tesco should be ashamed of themselves letting these crooks rip off there working class customers... But then this is a company that has been selling us horse meat as beef! WRT group are not only giving themselves a bad name but the stores they use to rip there customers off! I do not shop in tesco anymore as they also did nothing to help with this case as they do not take any responsibility for WRT! ASDA now have my custom.

If you look at the two positive reviews on here about WRT they are clearly fakes! Just like there company sales team! Shocking company.

I would like to add I have also asked to speak to the salesman who sold me the advertisement which as been declined (I wonder why)