Safeway Van Lines / scam and cheating

I researched different companies to move my 78 year old grandmother closer to me and my mom. When I came across safeway van lines spoke to Bill Shade seemed very nice at first then the move came he quoted me a price of $520.00 To $640.00 for my grandmothers move at a senior discount rate of $90.00 a hour I said great lets book the reservation and everything was set to go. The movers showed up with a truck to small had to make two trips and did not bring no tools with them and disassemble anything or reassemble anything like was suppose to happen that was part of our quoted price we were paying for then that caused things to be left behind my grandmother and her nice had to sleep on the floor that night because they refused to reassemble their bads at the new house 78 years old and sleeping on the floor crazy. The movers were always taking breaks and did not bring anything to drink they were asking us to supply them with their drinks on the phone bill told me all his movers have been working for the company for 2to8 years they showed with one was with them for 4 years another a 1 1/2 years and one for 4 months and very very bad attitudes rude to us when we had questions or even concerns I spoke with Bill Shade several times and he blew me off each time did speak with his foreman once which just made their attitudes worse if you ask me. Then the move THey broke my grandmother's refrigerator handles right off the front of it shoved right through a door we told them it would not fit in, Brike her glass bak to her cabinet scratched up a bunch of things tipped all her things with drawers up side down so everything was all over the place some we could barely get open Bill told to leave the things in the drawer it will be fine, dented her microwave and the list goes on. So I get the paperwork from the foreman that night and hourly rate is wrong he says the office is closed take this up with Bill Shade in the morning and I do and Bill blows me off all day claiming he has to talk to his foreman and he is refusing to call him back fort me to call back on monday I then say great I have this move job done and now you are blowing me off he responds thats right you had a ### move job and if you are not patient I will not do anything for you and hangs up. Monday comes I call he argues with me again the movers got themselves lost during their second trip back to the house and they were trying to blame on us also. They ended up charging my card $1140.00 he told me it would be $990.00 but that was the wrong hourly rate so Bill offers me $50.00 back which still charges me $990.00 on my card I tried to explain this and he yells at me and bluntly tells me that he has other moves that are more of a priority then I am and I said I guess I will Have to contact a lawyer goodbye that biggest scam artist I have ever been involved with do not ever use safeway van lines they are a huge ripoff.

Va

Comments

• Wi
      20th of Nov, 2008

I have used this Company 3 times, as they were reffered to me by sister, who has also used them on her move to the west coast. Each time I found them to be professional and curtious and hard working from the point of contact to the end of the move. I realize that all things in life don't go as expected, but I will continue to reffer Safeway Van Lines to anyone who is in need of a move.

8th of Jan, 2009

I used this company to move from Arlington VA to Fl. I have moved 12 times in the last 25 yearss and it was the worst move ever. I actully consulted with a contractual lawyer in DC and am still seriously concidering sueing for malpractice. They should not be in the moving business.
    Three packers showed up...2 could not speak english at all. They asked if I had markers (which they did not bring with them) and asked if I wanted the boxes labeled...no I want my Kitchen stuff brought up to the third floor bedroom! I ran to the store and got them markers...which the proceeded to miss or not label at all, due to the language barrier.
    I ended up packing all the hanging clothes and closet belongings because they were moving so slow. They left things in every room...at the end they told me they we're out of boxes and were hand carrying some breakable things down to the truck by hand.
    Then they show up in Florida...2 men...1 only speaking very little english...say they won't unload truck without getting paid first...my husband was on his way back from the bank with cashiers check...which is how I have always paid for moves...they say no cash only!...so my husband has to drive back to the bank...they are calling Bill and complaining I am holding them up from unloading.
    As I unpacked my stuff the crying started...precious pieces of crystal inherited from my dead mother are shattered to smitherins...a 100 year old marble clock was put in a box with not packing paper and was crumbling...dining room hutch made my grandfather scratched and gouged...puncture holes in the slipcovers of my new couch...couldn't find drawers for the hutch which were filled with 3 sets of silverware...called Bill flipping out over the drawers and silver and he was rude and totally unsimpithetic.
    My service for 12 Rosenthal china was packed so poorly...instead of dishes standing up in the box, they were placed down flat...what packer would not know that! It was such a nightmare...called Bill and told him he had to find the custom drawers and silverware, he said they would search the warehouse and get back to me...that was in on August the 5th it is now January 8th...not a word from Safeway...I did find the drawers filled with silver in a box with no packing paper what so ever...labels boys room toys! which I almost put in storage...thank God I opened it! I can't tell you all the lamps, pottery, dishes, to much to even list the were shattered and broken ( every lamp)...it was more than I could stand...I had to just let it go because it was causing me so much stress and being a stage 3 cancer survivor...it was the healthiest thing for me.
    The lawyer in DC is more than willing to take my case on contigency, I'm still deciding...(I took detailed pictures of everything). PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY...THEY ARE AWFUL, DISRESPECTFUL AND SHOULD NO T BE IN THE BUSINESS OF MOVING ANYTHING...OTHER THAN GARBAGE...BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT YOUR CHERISHED HOUSEHOLD PIECES WILL LOOK LIKE AFTER THEY ARE THROUGH WITH THEM! CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED. NOT TO SAY THE MOVE WAS DOUBLE WHAT I PAID TO MOVE FROM FLORIDA TO VA A YEAR EARLIER.

• To
      8th of Jan, 2009

My name is Tom Tholl. I had a local move with Safeway Van Lines on December 23rd 2008. They provided a service that was impeccable. I am older, and can no longer pack much less move, and it was a pleasure watching how these young men went about the packing process. The cost was a few dollars more then Mr. Shade had quoted me, but well worth it. All of the terms of the contract were met.

I was so impressed that I called Bill to have him send me some business cards, and upon receiving gave them to my Realtor. In my opinion, don't hesitate to use Safeway Van Lines. They are a Proffesional Company all the way around.

• Gu
      3rd of Feb, 2009

Hi, My name is Guy. I have done research on this Company. They are a qulity Company compared to some of the others out there. They employ full time employees, Have a B rating on BBB, are certified through American Moving and Storage Association, Licsenced, Insured. The contracts are all very simple, with no surcharges, or hidden charges.

In comparison, in my research, there are over 30 companies that do not have these qualifications in the Metropolitan area alone. That is a scary thought. So many "Fly by Night Companies" out there so to speak.

Certainly no company is perfect. But, in my search, this is one of the better Companies out there. There are a few good companies out there, and I would rate Safeway Van Lines amung them. I talked to Bill, the manager during my research, and he indicated that there are a few who strictly deal on emotion, and then there are some, when you attempt to make a mistake right, you just can't please no matter what. It seems that may be the case in this complaint.

• Fr
      23rd of Aug, 2009

The service I have received from Safeway Van Lines has been the worst of all the moving services I have ever used. I tried to do a one-day move and am still waiting on my furniture four days later despite multiple promises of quicker times. I will write a full complaint when I have finally received my furniture. If that ever happens.

Very dissatisfied!

• Zk
      18th of Nov, 2009

Safeway Van Lines is the absolute WORST, WORST, WORST moving company ever. This company needs to be sued. See my email to Bill Shade:

November 2, 2009

Mr. Shade,

My name is Zainab Hughes, following up on my voice messages left on 10/31/09. I used your services for a move on 10/31/09 at approximately 8:28 AM. Upon arrival on 10/31/09, there were three men from your company, Safeway Van Lines to move my personal belongings from address 9939 Greenbelt Road, Lanham, MD 20706 to the Self Storage Plus, located at 10108, Greenbelt Road, Lanham, MD 20706. One of the movers, name undisclosed, even after several attempts of asking him to disclose his name, behaved in a manner unfathomable to anyone’s imagination. After spending only 38 minutes to remove the few items from the apartment onto the truck, we drove less than two (2) minute across the street to the storage to unload the items. After another 26 minutes into the three men unloading the items, this one particular man (once again, name undisclosed to me) placed the iron portion to the leg of my dining room chair on top of my leather sofa, pressing against the leather in a fashion which was not acceptable by me. In fear that over time, this iron will puncture a hole into the leather of the sofa. I therefore asked this man to simply reposition these two items. He gazed at me in a manner which made my skin crawled and asked “are you freaking crazy”, “are you crazy, the freaking storage is too small” repeatedly. As can be imagined, I was in shock and could not respond immediately. Whilst his partner stood a few feet away continuing to re-arrange some of the other items in the storage room. While the third man was on the deck outside pulling out more items from the truck.

After my temporary shock wore out from this man’s insane comments, I asked if he was the one that was crazy. He then proceeded in pointing his finger at my face, in close proximity and shouted “### you”. At this point, I retaliated and told him to “### off and back off from my face”. I then told him that unless he moved back immediately, that I was going to call the police in three seconds. He responded by saying “call the police, call the police”, “###, you, ###, you, I will leave right now”. While this man still carried on with his rant, my cell phone rang from my pocket and I immediately answered to hear my cousin’s voice in the background. Whom then asked me who that person was cussing at me. I briefly explained to her what was going on and asked that I called her back, as I proceeded to record what was going on from my cell phone. It was only then that this mad man calmed down, as he saw me pointing my phone recorder directly on to his way. Which by the way, I announced to him that he was being recorded at that time (as is to be done by law). From that point forward, he said no other words as one of the storage employees came around to my area and started talking with me and getting an idea of what was going on. After explaining to him what occurred within the span of 3 minutes, I asked if they would be able to provide the recordings from their monitors that captured the whole scene. The storage employee answered to me that if requested, those recordings will be produced, especially in a court of law. The employee then asked that I stopped by the office before leaving. Which I did. Again, at the moment in which your employee saw that he was being recorded, he immediately changed hid demeanor. At the end of the move (which took less than 2 hours), I paid my balance of $250 in full and signed the paper work tendered to me.

Throughout this episode, I called the office and left two messages, which the same insane man stated I was “wasting my time, as the office is not open on Saturdays”. Nonetheless, I left a message for someone to return my call first thing Monday morning, which no one has, as of 11:49 this morning.

Aside from this madness that occurred, I was not able to locate the screws removed from my bed. One of the three men requested on the day of the move that I provided him with a Ziploc bag for him to place the screws into the bag as he removed them. That bag was never returned to me at the end of the move. I immediately need for that bag containing my bed screws to be returned to me.

To simply state my disgust and horrifying ordeal with this company would be an understatement. I am looking to speak to the manager of this company to determine the next steps to be taken from this point forward. I await a response to both my voice messages from Saturday and this email today. I’ve also called the office this morning at approximately 9:07 AM and was told that Mr. Shade was out of the office until tomorrow, 11/3/09. Clearly, someone is there at the office and should be in receipt of both this email and my voice messages. To date, Bill Shade is still blowing me off, no returned calls, he claims I'm not a priority and that he's not the manager, even though his signature line states clearly that he's the "General Manager".

• St
      9th of Dec, 2009

As I stated in my previous letter...this company in horrible. They should be put out of business. I'm still waiting for my phone call from Bill Shadey...going on 2 years. If you notice, every time someone writes a bad review, one pops up that is good. I believe it is someone from their own company. I will continue to watch this site and I hope people are smart enough (I wasn't) to google them and find out how unprofessional (boardering on illegal and abusive) they are!

• St
      9th of Dec, 2009

THIS COMPANY BORDERS ON ILLEGAL AND ABUSIVE. I WILL CONTINUE TO POST ON HERE TO HELP PEOPLE NOT FALL VICTIM TO THEM, LIKE I DID. STILL WAITING FOR BILL SHADE TO CALL 2 YEARS NOW! PLEASE FIND ANOTHER COMPANY TO MOVE YOU. THERE ARE SOME GOOD, REPUTABLE COMPANIES OUT THERE. I HAVE MOVED OVER 12 TIMES, ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND HAVE NEVER BEEN PUT THROUGH WHAT THEY PUT ME THROUGH. MOVING IS HARD ENOUGH AND THIS COMPANY JUST PUNISHES YOU, AND COULD CARE LESS. LOST SO MANY THINGS IN THE MOVE THAT ARE NOT REPLACABLE. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.