Safeway / safeway store manager

1 Coal Creek ParkwayNewcastle, WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 425-641-0902

I would like to complain about the Newcastle Coal Creek Safeway store manager, John Brunes. He is the rudest man I have ever met in my life. I had entered his store to inquire about a job opening. The employees were very nice and a cashier offered to go get him for me so I could talk to him about the position. When he walked up he was very cold and quickly dismissed me, saying, "we don't need any more people right now, we don't need you." I was very confused and also offended because I had spoken with the department manager of the position I was interested in and she said she would gladly hire me. Once I explained this to him, he repeated what he had said earlier and told me he was very busy and had to leave. One of the reasons I had wanted to work at this store was because I shop there quite a lot and know most of the employees pretty well. They are all friendly and personable except for John. I would expect a lot more from a store manager than this. He has no right to talk to customers in this manner. I don't care if he was busy or even having a bad day. This man has no common courtesy. If it were up to me I would send someone from corporate in right away to get him fired, or at the very least transfered so that I don't ever have to come in contact with him again. After my horrible encounter with this man I spoke to some of the safeway employees and they explained to me that he acts in this rude way to everyone. It's not right and I can't believe that he is working there.

Ee

Comments

• Bu
      3rd of Jun, 2009

Safeway department managers do no hiring, the store managers do. Just because a department head didnt want to break it to you that they didn't need you doesn't mean the store manager must give you a job. Store managers are the busiest employees in the stores, and because he was short with you, you want to get him fired, or transfered far away from home? This guy probably has a wife and kids and you want to ruin his life because he wouldn't converse with you as long as you wanted him to? Lets hope you never become a manager, if one of your employees had a bad day you'd execute them. You would be ten times worse than him. Congratulations.

18th of Sep, 2009

gotta love the way people want to jump straight to "lets fire him!" when really even if he was being rude it was by no means grounds for termination.

• Mu
      18th of Mar, 2010

It is grounds for termination. Why? Because he/she at all times represents the company. His actions follow him or her wherever they go. They must know this and make a choose to use this rude tactic. People whom ever they are in the position of authority are held to a higher standard then those whom are not. The answer is not to have the consumer deal with the employee but rather the employee to deal wth the customer. Then one says well he was dealing with a potential employee, yes, but also he is dealing with a customer and/or consumer. If a leader in the position of Store Manager of a Safeway does not understand this basic marketing tool then he/she should be at least re-trained to understand these basic business models. It becomes clear that the only people whom would not understand something as basic as this, must be an employee of the company in question.

• Sp
      2nd of Sep, 2010

Nowhere in the real world does management bend over backwards and treat a new hire as a `customer`. Just because you buy your Rice Krispies from that store, doesn`t entitle you to preferential treatment as a `customer` during the hiring process by the head of the entire store, the store manager. Welcome to real life, kiddies!

• Na
      28th of Feb, 2011

Even if your a manger you should still treat eveyone with respect and common courtesy. Its funny, they brainwash theyre employees to kiss the customers [censor]! It is so fake and eveyone that shops and works there knows it. Youd think since the manger is always forcing that [censor] down your throat and always pushing you to pitch sales and wear a plastic smile that they themselves would be able to atleast pretend they give a [censor]..

• De
      12th of Apr, 2011

It all really comes down to monetary value, (a) Can I afford to hire a new employee as of right now, (b) I am the store manager, someone wants to get hired, how do I react to it if there is either no room, or not necessary to hire anyone new, "at this time". It sounds like this guy said essentially, we're not hiring anyone new "right now", we don't need you "as of now". The author of this complaint seems ot have acted as if a this store manager was trying to commit a great personal injustice to them just because a manager wouldn't hire them. Hey he said, "we don't need you right now", not, "get the [censored] out of my store!" Kind of a difference.

It is true, there are higher ups who are very stern, somewhat rude sounding people, but at least they communicate with you as opposed to just straight up ignoring you. Where I work, my department manager constantly tells us to move faster and get customers out in 3 minutes, and this isn't supposed to be cleaned this way, etc. This is coming from someone who has worked at this particular store chain for 15 years (and likes to make mention of it all the time) yet for some reason the customer service representative that just got hired on has better communicative skills then she does. The first thing my manager says in the morning and generally all throughout the day is, "Hi, I'll be right with you!", which essentially means, "One of my peons we'll help you while I hide behind the wall because I get more complaints than compliments a year, and I don't like to be a team player, high school was 15 years ago and I haven't lived down my gossip days (which is inappropriate on just about every level) and when I do something, I actually half [censor] it then blame it on one of my employees, nor can I add or subtract because the load is always short stocked on supplies..." I can go on forever, but the point is, there are managers out there that seem to be WAY worse than this guy. He's just doing his job, and getting Corporate to fire ANYONE of that high of a standing...well they would need a little more then "He was extremely rude to me!" If it were that easy my manager wouldn't have a job right now, and people like me would be making more money because we took her job.

But heck, I mean, you are/were looking for a job, this is probably what you are/would be encountering either way, it took me 6 months to find a job, I got rejected by more businesses then I would like to recall, but I didn't file a complaint just because someone said "we don't need you right now!"

• Ra
      19th of Mar, 2016

At checkout line, swiped credit card...shopped at this store for 25 years.
    Used Safeway card..so after all this time, card and credit card should be synced. Manager looks at me and asks for ID !! I said you gotta be kidding..he says no not kidding..feel like a victim of prejudice.

• Th
      26th of Nov, 2016

Well, look on the bright side: at least you don't have to work for that person. I've worked for Safeway for 10 years now, & i can assure you, what you experienced (as far as feeling offended, or personally victimized by this particular store manager) is only the tip of the iceberg. At the very least, you have the option of not going back to that store & never having to deal with him again. The people who work there don't have that luxury... On another note, hope you found another job by now.