SafeCo Insurance Company / it is an unethical insurance company

My experience with SAFECO insurance company has been that it unethically denies claims in order to meet their bottom line. I can honestly say that I have never had such a horrific experience dealing with an insurance company until I dealt with SAFECO. I was hit by a driver insured through SAFECO, and from the very moment that I contacted them they attempted to manipulate the situation. First, they only wanted me to go to have my car checked out by one of their auto body repair shops, and when we informed them that this was illegal, the troubles just kept coming. They ended up not even looking at my car, although their insured admitted fault. The adjuster was rude, extremely difficult to reach, and denied the claim to meet his bottom line although their insured admitted hitting my car. Please, I recommend: do not choose this company. They will want to ***.

Va

Comments

19th of Jul, 2008

SAFECO is playing a very similar game with me. The adjuster showed up in my driveway without an appointment. He lied when he reported to SAFECO that he had an appointment. He also told his superior (?) that there was no damage. The body shop estimate is almost $1600. The "superior" was rude and refused to send another person. I escalated my problem and now there is another adjuster to come next week supposedly.

• De
      2nd of Aug, 2008

Safeco refused to pay the blue book price of my diesel truck with a value of $40, 000. They paid $10, 000. I am looking for people who have had similar experiences and would like to participate in a class action suit against safeco. If you are one of those please contact me.

• Bi
      27th of Aug, 2008

No insurance company will pay you blue book value for your vehicle. If yours will, why didn't you just file your claim through them?

• Bi
      27th of Aug, 2008

Safeco requires you to get an inspection through one of the shops they deal with but makes no requirement that you have the vehicle fixed at that facility. All insurance companies require an inspection either by one of their employees or a shop they trust. Does your insurance company just write blank checks for estimates you send them?

• Mi
      1st of Nov, 2008

My son was involved in a small collision with a SafeCo customer. I witnessed the accident yet SafeCo never called me to find out what happened. A rude adjuster called to say that the accident was 50%-50%. I spoke to my insurance agent who told me that I shouldn't accept the offer so when the SafeCo adjuster called back I refused the offer and said I didn't agree with the 50-50 that in no way was it my son's fault. She told me that was the offer and if I didn't take it then I could file through my own insurance. She said she was closing the case and not paying anything. How can they do that when the accident was clearly not my son's fault and I witnessed the accident? I would advise anyone to get pictures and witnesses if ever dealing with a SafeCo insured!

• Cl
      23rd of Jul, 2009

WOW!! This is great to hear!!! I seem to be having the same issues getting a claim resolved. Does anyone have a contact for someone @ Safeco that has ANY follow thru?

2nd of Sep, 2009

We have a similar issue going on. My husband was in an accident with a Safeco driver on Aug 5th. At first they seemed to have their act together. We got the car into their shop immediately for an assessment. The car is still drivable but pretty messed up. The next week the adjuster was to come and look at the vehicle. He was a no-show and ended up going on vacation. The next day we got a call out of the blue saying some different adjuster was coming to look at the car that day without any warning. We weren't available so it didn't happen. A week later they called to tell us that their 'driver' wasn't insured with Safeco and we would be out of luck. Two hours later they call back (after we threatened legal action) saying their driver was insured and they were cutting a check that night. We got the check yesterday but for an amount that will not cover the damage. I don't understand where they got their figure from. No adjuster ever looked at our vehicle and they just sent us a check? Now we can't get a hold of anyone to explain the situation and/or if they plan to actually pay for all the damage. Seems like they just paid us some random amount of money to 'shut us up.'

Safeco is an UNETHICAL company. Gawd forbid you ever get hit by a Safeco driver.

4th of Mar, 2010

I'm unfortunately having a similar experience with Safeco right now. I was in an accident with a Safeco insured driver and now they're playing games. Basically, they're impossible to reach and are extremely rude. This is clearly their mode of doing business. Thanks for the previous comments, I'll be seeking legal counsel instead of continuing to think that this would actually be resolved in a reasonable fashion.

31st of Mar, 2010

I just had an accident with a Safeco insured driver who absolutely lied, and am supported by the Police report that she indeed did lie. Safeco is denying coverage oin me and my vehicle as of yesterday choosing to disregard the police report, all evidence, absolutely everything, and believe their insured and her lie, just so thy do not have to pay. How do you fight them? what can you do? Where con you go? Someone has to stop them... there just has got to be a way to end this.

• Up
      1st of Apr, 2010

Safeco is denying a claim of mine as well. My back was injured and I went through physical therapy and even corizone shots in my back to relieve pain. During that relief period of the cortizone shot, I did not require medical attention or pain medicine. However, when the shot wore off I went back to the doctor and the doctor told me I will have chronic issues with my back and the doctor prescribed more pain medicine and muscle relaxants. Now Safeco is not wanting to pay the bill because they state that the doctors visit was too far apart from the visit I had to receive the cortizone shot even though they have a statement from the doctor that it is still related to the accident. Not only are they not paying for the doctors visit but they have rude people working as claims "customer service" representatives. Customer service? I dont think so, there is no customer care or service with SAFECO. They have no regard for your health and safety. They need to change their name to NOTSAFE.

2nd of Apr, 2010

Wow...I wish I knew of this website...this does not sound good...since my insurance company is Safeco. Does anyone know of a good insurance company for cars, homes, etc.? I think I may be switching...

7th of Apr, 2010

This company is a nightmare. I have severe roof damage from windstorms and need a new roof. They have jacked me around for months. First they offered me $500 (my deductible is $1000 so they offered me zip). Then when I appealed they sent an engineer out who said at least one slope needs to be replaced plus damage in other areas. The estimated cost for a new roof on my house is $13, 000. They are now offering me $800 after the deductible. Can't even get the same shingles anymore so my house will look like a patch work quilt.
    I am 60 years old, have owned homes for 30 years. I've never filed a claim and I have never had a car accident or ticket in 44 years of driving.
    So, all of these premiums I've paid for four decades have been for nothing. I might as well have saved the money and paid my own claims. They are total jerks.
    There isn't a house within a block of me that hasn't had their ENTIRE roof replaced after all the damage we experienced with hurricane force winds. But, I'm the only idiot that has Safeco.
    I can't wait to cancel my policy.
    They are the worst!

7th of Apr, 2010

I would like to hear from anyone interested in joining a class action against Safeco.

8th of Apr, 2010

John ~
    For the most part, class action suits amount to "get rich quick" schemes on the part of many attorneys. I was involved in one with Steinmart over a security issue with credit cards. While I didn't initiate it, I didn't opt out after Steinmart apparently supplied the names of all those whose identity might have been compromised.
    When I received the letter regarding our "award", I said "IS THIS A JOKE??".
    We got "coupons". If you don't believe me, check out the link below.
    Betting those high roller attorneys didn't settle their fees for 20% off at the nearest Steinmart store. These class action attorneys are about as corrupt as Safeco.

• Da
      22nd of May, 2010

SafeCo
    My car was hit by a Safeco insured motorist in Portland Oregon. Safeco accepts responsibility, but claims that my 1984 Audi 4000 Quattro is totaled and worth $535.

CCC One
    $535 is based on the half of the value of a a front wheel base model found in the Bargain News of New Haven Connecticut. A company called CCC One performed the estimate. They omitted local examples for sale and used the wrong model of audi, just to come with a small figure. Kurt, CCC one’s estimator referred this dishonesty as his “Cooperate Responsibility”.

Damaged as it is, my car is worth over $1250 as a parts car. Before the accident it was worth over $2500. I have found five cars for sale in the Pacific Northwest that back the value of my car.

It would cost less than $1500 for Safeco to fix the car. I offered to accept used parts, and I have not hit up Safeco for a rental car. Currently I am driving a car with a spent bumper, bumper shocks, broken taillight and a leaking trunk. But they are insisting that my cart is totaled and “worthless”.

I have contacted the Oregon Insurance Division http://www.cbs.state.or.us/external/ins/
    and expect to make a complaint. They view CCC One as a tool of the insurance industry and that Safeco is responsible for the quality of their work.

I suggest that every one dealing with Safeco company notify their state government.

• Je
      20th of Sep, 2010

I was involved in an accident with a Safeco insured driver Sept 10th. The accident involved 3 cars, the young lady that hit me, me, and the woman's car whom I was pushed into. I too have a police report, witnesses, and the young lady was written a ticket with 3 violations, including fleeing the scene of an accident. My insurance company is holding my claim open which I filed with them to make sure my car is fixed. They have already determined the driver that ran into me is at fault for my damages and the woman that was in front of me stopped in construction. I agree the adjuster for Safeco is rude and has stopped returning my phone calls regarding when I will be able to get my vehicle repaired. It's very frustraiting to know this young lady who caused the accident has probably already had her vehicle fixed while I have to drive a vehicle with damage. I called the adjuster with Safeco, again, and told her I'd like a call back from her with in 24 hours regarding the status of her investigation. It should not be my problem that they are unable to reach their insured.
    I'm constantly receiving invitations from Liberty Mutual to quote on my auto insurance for my VW and I can tell you after this episode with Safeco they will be getting a resounding NO THANK YOU from me!

• Pw
      24th of Sep, 2010

I find Safeco adjusters and managers to be very bottom line profit driven bottom feeders. Do NOT use Safeco!! It may seem cheap but you need to remember that you get what you pay for and w/ Safeco that isn't MUCH!!!1

• Sh
      7th of Jan, 2011

The aduster I am dealing with at Safeco give extremely rude and the company is refusing to pay for the coverage I paid for all these years. It is a nightmare dealing with this company. We have been aguring with them for two weeks now.

15th of Feb, 2011

I too have had a horrible experience with Safeco. We were hit by a uninsured driver and we were carrying safeco and had uninsured coverage. It has been since 2008 and safeco is takeing a no pay for loss of salary and low on our medical. Yes, Anyone wanting to file a class action suit I am willing to join in...berrybrooklane@gmail.com. All the above is in my opinion.

15th of Feb, 2011

Safeco is the worse insurance we have ever had...