SAA / baggage broken, goods stolen

1 South Africa Review updated:

My girlfriend and I were travelling to PE on 3rd February this year.

Our plane was cancelled as result poor weather in PE. When we went downstairs to collect our baggage, the whole planes people realised they had been broken into. We then lodged a claim (Ref: JNBSA71579) and herewith the rotten service I have received from the 3 ladies involved. Poor professionalism and that from the Manager who I thought would know about customer service, but No, it was not to be….

On the 7th March, I then followed up with Baggage Services as I had heard nothing. On the 16th a Vuyokazi Bhili replied and said it would be resolved by the next week. Nothing until end May when R 400 was paid into my account. This was not the full amount of the claim.
A letter then followed that had the biggest nonsense on it and I replied I was not happy on the 23rd April accordingly:

Thank you for your attached reply dated 29 February. Based on your reply below, I assume the date is wrong and should have read 29 March 2012?

Furthermore, you surely did not think that I am going to accept your poor response. It’s unacceptable and if this is what you call customer service, then lord help us.

The 2nd attachment shows the weight SAA would have recorded on the system, so the fact you refer to my baggage weight unknown, HOGWASH!!! (2 barcoded slips)

Please provide me some answers to my questions:
1. Does SAA condone and support the thieves working in your organisation, or is this just the norm in SA?
2. What was the outcome of video footage on my baggage, all throughout its travels in the terminal building?
3. Was the guilty SAA thieving employees caught?
4. Does this need to be reported to the Consumer Protection Act?
5. Would you like me to tell all my Facebook contacts of how SAA kicks their loyal customers. A perfect HelloPeter case?
6. Are you expecting me to approach my insurance and tarnish my no claim bonus at my expense to brush this issue under the carpet? I don’t think so!!!
7. Finally, would the same response be given if it directly affected a SAA employee or Management?
8. Did it then really take this long to come up with such a poor response, written on a standard “Dear Johnny” format, but then your response does actually show the incompetence on SAA’s part. At least you got my details correct, well done!

No reply to this mail, so I mailed her back the 30th.

I then called the Manager, Bali Mabena. Sounded really helpful, but NO, she was even more useless than Vuyo.

Mimi Lokwe then called, Vuyo just ignored me from there.. She came back as well and reiterated their position of part payment with all the airline jargon.

I then replied again of my non acceptance of the offer on 28th May. NO response from Mimi, so I mailed her again on 4th June. She replied and asked me to send all correspondence I had with Vuyo. Such a primitive system that they can’t even look up my details……

I mailed her again on the 11th of June as I had no answer yet. She then replied again on 15th June that they not going to relook my case. I this time she telephonically screwed it up with quotes like:

From “ I’ll come back to you tomorrow”, “your claim has been paid in full, oops, think I got the wrong customer, I’ll come back to you” and “please send me your reference number AGAIN”

SAA Baggage Services responded as follows to my questions:

Dear Mr. Hopkins,

Thank you for your email below, to answer your questions.
• No sir we do not condone and support thieves.
• We did not get any requests to view the footage.
• No thieves were caught.
• You can report this to the consumer affair it is your right.
• SAA treats their customers like royalty and would never inconvenience them intentionally.
• Yes the same response would be given to an SAA employee because that is how we ### our claims.
• My apologies on our side for the late response.

Sir, I am truly sorry for all the inconvenience that this has caused you and if we have given you an impression that we do not care about you our valued customer my sincere apologies.

So on 2 July I wrote to [protected]@flysaa.com and [protected]@flysaa.com .

A Judith Toorn came back and wrote:

Dear Mr. Hopkins,

Thank you for your e-mail dated 2 July 2012.

Your comments are important to the success of South African Airways and provide us with the information needed to evaluate and improve our service.

Service is certainly a distinguishing factor between airlines and I am sorry that we have not offered you the service you have been accustomed to when you made a baggage claim with us in February 2012. We sincerely regret the unprofessional manner in which the claim was handled and for the lack of professionalism.

Having regard to the foregoing and in the absence of the declaration of excess value, we are of the opinion that your claim has been dealt with equitably and must therefore support the previous decision, and have to respectfully decline your request for a further payout to your claim.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We value your support and welcome you to contact us whenever you have a matter you may care to bring to our attention.

In conclusion:
1. Is this acceptable?
2. Is this good customer service?
3. Is this “ Royalty” she is referring too?
4. All the poor service I have been receiving?
5. SAA’s liability?

Comments

• Am
      29th of Sep, 2008

For the second time because I was ignored I want to submit a complaint . Can you please respond

• Ir
      25th of Jan, 2011

LOST B AG AND DONT CARE!!!
    I arrived today Tuesday 24th January 2011 on an SAA flight at 15:1o in Cape Town from Johannesburg.
    I had one bag with very important work material which was promised to be delivered as soon as it arrived in Cape Town. I called at 17:00 today and it was confirmed that my luggage was located and is ready to be delivered. THE TIME IS NOW 11:30 the evening and still no delivery.

Empty promises was made and currently no one is picking up any phone calls to provide feedback on my query. What kind of an institution is this? A BAKERY?
    This is the worst experience I have ever had where everyone who I dealt with just dont care. I can walk into any butcher and I will be treated better. No commitment, no solution, no call back as promised just absolutely pathetic.

I shall post the progress and any response from SAA as soon as I've heard from them, but I am not counting on any soon.

• Ge
      18th of May, 2011

Flight SA203 to Jhb/New York arrived without 3 container loads of luggage 07/05/2011
    Flight Sa 204 New York/Jhb my entertainment screen was not working. After numerous requests to rectify the problem, it was brushed off with the attitude that the flight was full and nothing could be done about it. Tough on you, non caring attitude
    Food was old on both flights - bread rolls stale. Lettuce discolouring

• Fr
      12th of Jul, 2012

One more thing I may add, just among the men here, women should never be out into management positions they are only good for sex.

• Fa
      12th of Jul, 2012

I can see your frustration, "Frustrated J", but was that last comment necessary, you make men sound like pigs.

• Du
      8th of Mar, 2013

We have been robbed by SAA twice recently, it does seem that theft is permitted, maybe encouraged ? Our mother just came back from Aus and they stole the children's gifts, that;s cruel to even rob from grannies now. Our first theft was diving gear, how do you walk out with that under your arm without collusion?

10th of Mar, 2016

On 16th July 2015 I flew with SAA from CPT to Buenos Aires. During the flight Johannesburg- S Paulo the pram of my baby was broken. Case 00107150
    I complained the next day and ever since, for the past 8 months, I have been chasing SAA to pay for the refund. I eventually managed to deal with the Complain Manager (Mimi Lokwe) with no success.

Their customer service is dreadful! Unfortunately it is the airline with the most direct flights to South America...