Rush Kennels / Dogs were not healthy

1 Pleasant Garden, NC, United States Review updated:

We bought two weimaraners from Sheila Rush. She told us first they were AKC registrants, and they are not, they are UKC. We bought a boy and a girl. when we got there both dogs acted scared and unsure of what to do, I figured new people they were jumpy. When we got them home they continued to act this way, and we ended up thinking they had parvo. They didn't because they started eating and drinking and weren't throwing up. They ended up pooping in the house and I came to realize they had worms. They were supposed to be wormed and have their first shots, well they didn't. We ended up taking them to the vet, obviously, to treat them. They had roundworm and some other intestinal parasite that I can't even say or spell. Bailey my girl had yeast in her ears. I tried calling Rush Kennels and asking what happend since they claim to be a 5 star kennel. No answer, when I did get someone to pick up the phone, Holly, she was very rude. She hung up on my husband and was very rude with me told me to read my contract. I told her my contract wasn't legal because I got two sick puppies. I then proceeded to write a review about them on their website only to wake up and see they had deleted it. I wish I'd have seen all these complaints on Rush Kennels because I'd have never of went out there. I do wish to do something for the poor animals there. Another thing when I got my girl she looked starved. And why can't we go see the parents, or the babies. For their safety our for theirs. Whatever you Do Everyone needs to stay away from this place!

More Rush Kennels Complaints & Reviews

Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Gr
      16th of Aug, 2011

Wow I didn't even think to check complaints online. I had put a deposit on a dog 2 years ago in december and never was able to get my dog or get anyone to ever contact me back. Is there a way I can get my $400 deposit back? I still have my receipt. The only reason I saw this was I was searching for another puppy for my mother who's house just burnt down last night and she lost all 3 of her dogs. I would love to be able to use that deposit to help get a dog for my mother for xmas. If someone could let me know anything I would greatly appreciate it. My email is greenmonstahsoftball@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Em
      19th of May, 2011

I have an 11 year old weimaraner from Rush Kennels whom I love very much. Unfortunately we have had problems with him since the day we received him from them. He had undescended testicles which had to be removed. He also has had multiple tumors (most of which are benign) but now has lung tumors that are considered very rare for his breed. I truly believe this was a result of their improper breeding. While I would not trade hime for anything, I don't want someone to have to endure what I have. He has less than 6 months to live. Despite already having one lung tumor removed, it has now returned and is inoperable. Sheila Rush was a bad business person from day one and I greatly attribute my boy's problems to her and her puppy mill.

• In
      22nd of Sep, 2010

I bought an Italian Greyhound puppy from Rush in February of this year. First and foremost, I was NOT pleased with their business arrangements. I should have been smart and not dealt with them when they didn't even ask to meet with me or evaluate me at all. They just took my deposit. They promised me a puppy, never told me when the litter was born, and I had to keep e-mailing them until I got my replies. The first one I was promised supposedly died, as did the second one, apparently. I live hours away so I needed to set a date to come get my dog and they were not helpful at all.

Finally, I had to call them (after trying several times) and tell them I needed to come down that afternoon and get my dog like I was told I could. The person I spoke with was very unfriendly with me, and gave me a dull response.

We made it there and it was not as pretty as the pictures indicated. They wouldn't let me meet the parent dogs or see the other pups. They gave me a choice between two IGs, but brought them up to me rather than letting me see where they were housed.

Lucky for them, I fell in love with one of the little girls they showed me (even though I was being promised a male). I took her home and after I got her to the vet, they discovered she had worms and coccidia.

Also, they NEVER sent her supposed papers. I doubt they had any on her at all.

Never, ever again will I do business with them. She didn't have the shots they promised me, either.

• La
      17th of Aug, 2010

OH DEAR...I HOPE AND PRAY FOR ALL OF YOU, THAT THIS PUPPY MILL PROBLEM DOES INDEED GET TAKEN CARE OF!!! MY SISTER IN VIRGINIA WENT THROUGH THE EXACT SAME SITUATION WITH THE SADDENING LOST OF PURCHASING A PUPPY, AND HAVING IT DIE OF PARVO, AND NO AVAILABLE PERSON SHE PURCHASED THE PUPPY FROM WAS AROUND...GONE. ATTENTION:::::::::PLEASE CHECK STORY OF 5/04/2004 IN THE VIRGINIA PILOT NEWSPAPER, PAGE B3, CONVICTED MONICA BINKLEY OF SUFFOLK COUNTY. THIS TOOK PLACE WITH MY SISTER. IM NOW READING THESE OUTRAGEOUS STORIES AND MY DAUGHTER HAD PURCHASED A PUPPY IN NORTH CAROLINA, I FELT VERY UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE SITUATION, AND I TOOK A PICTURE OF THE SELLER WITH MY CELL PHONE, I HAD LOST SIGNAL BEINGING IN THE BUILDING, AND THE SALE TOOK PLACE, WITH MY GRANDCHILDREN EXCITED TO HAVE A NEW FAMILY MEMBER. I LATER CALLED MY SISTER AND TEXED HER THE PHOTO OF THE LADY TO WHOM SOLD MY DAUGHTER THE PUPPY. "SAME WOMAN AND FAMILY MEMBERS WHO WERE ARRESTED FIVE YEARS PRIOR...BACK IN BUSINESS, WITH A BOGUS NAME. WE CALLED THE FOLLOWING DAY AND REPORTED TO POLICE OFFICERS IN WINSTON-SALEM AND THEY HAD LEFT TO MOVE ON. MY DAUGHTERS PUPPY HAD DIED 3 DAYS AFTER OF PARVO. PUPPY MILLS ARE A TERRIBLE THING!!! THOSE PEOPLE SHOULD BE IN PRISON!!! PLEASE SEEK THIS NEWS ARTICLE AND REPORT TO POLICE IF SHES THE LADY LINKED TO THE PUPPY MILL, PHOTO AVAILABLE

31st of Jul, 2010

I personally have not bought a dog here but i stumbled upon an article i read on pet-abuse.com. I think that everyone should read it to clarify any questions they had about Rush Kennel. If you care about animals please don't ever purchase a dog from a PUPPY MILL! This article clearly states that Rush Kennels is just that. The article and updates can be found on *http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/16320/NC/US/

There are two pictures on this website. One is with a sad looking puppy in a cage and the second one has two woman with an emaciated weimeriner.

I hope this clears things up. SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE AT RUSH KENNELS. YOU WILL GET YOURS AT THE END :)!!!

So far, no charges have been filed against the owner of Rush Kennel or her employees. The investigation by the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office is ongoing.

Sheila Rush Savage, owner of the business at 6324 Maplewood St., could not be reached for comment.

Her son said the 12-year-old kennel has a quality record.

“This has nothing to do with cruelty to animals, ” said Tyler Rush as he stood outside the family business Thursday. “These dogs weren’t malnourished or anything.”

The dogs were taken to the Guilford County Animal Shelter. Officials there who viewed and examined the animals said:

* Two Chihuahuas will require surgery. One has a busted left eye socket, which has left the dog blind. The other has a puncture to her side that allows air to leak from her lungs.

* A 10- to 12-year-old greyhound is missing much of her lower jaw and nearly all of her teeth from poor dental care. The dog is pregnant. A shelter veterinarian said the dog shouldn’t have been bred after age 2 or 3.

* An adult Weimaraner is malnourished to the point where the outline of his ribs and hip bones could be seen through his skin. Officials said the dog weighs about 40 pounds, but should weigh about 75 pounds.

* Other dogs have dozens of ticks -- more than 30 on one greyhound; mammary tumors; bloody diarrhea; heartworms; missing teeth; bruising; and open wounds.

Sheriff’s officials said the investigation began in December and progressed as authorities received complaints from 14 customers regarding sick dogs purchased from the kennel, including at least one dog that died.

Undercover deputies purchased a toy poodle from the kennel and it died within two weeks.

On Wednesday, officials spent 12 hours at the kennel, seizing the dogs and records.

Officials declined to describe the dogs’ living conditions.

The dogs are being examined to determine the full scope of their health problems. Findings will be turned over to the district attorney’s office.

“The conditions they had going on out there came down to nothing more than nastiness, ” the sheriff said.

Barnes said detectives found several cases of upset customers. In one instance, a customer asked to see the parents of a puppy. The father was dragged out on a choke chain and threw up. “The mother of the dog couldn’t even stand up, ” he said.

Robin Breedlove of Asheboro said she purchased a Weimaraner from the kennel in 1999, but the dog was diagnosed with a neurological hip disorder, which caused her to have him euthanized before he turned 4 years old.

“He had problems walking up and down steps, running and he fell all the time, ” Breedlove said of her dog Bentley.

She called Savage to find out if there were problems with other puppies in the litter.

“She said there was no way they would have a disorder, ” Breedlove said. “She said she was in charge of the breeding and that none of her dogs have any genetic neurological conditions. I got a not-so-friendly vibe when I made that call.”

On the kennel’s Web site, a guest book boasts dozens of happy customers. Attempts to contact them for comment were unsuccessful Thursday.

Tyler Rush said the kennel always has acted quickly with customer complaints.

“We’ve always had complaints, but we always gave them back their money, ” Rush said. “Each customer signs a contract saying after the first year, Rush Kennels is not liable for any defects.”

Sheila Savage, who then was Sheila Rush, appeared on the ABC reality show “Wife Swap” in 2007.

In an interview with the News & Record about the TV show, Savage said many of her dogs lived indoors with the family and ate filet mignon on china, while the family ate off paper plates. The dogs were pampered with wardrobes and jewelry, and they slept in her king-sized bed.

“I think a lot of people will relate to me because a lot of people do treat their dogs like children, ” Savage said of her appearance on television.

31st of Jul, 2010

Everyone should read this article i found to clarify any questions people had about Rush Kennels in Pleasant Garden, NC. The title of the article is PUPPY MILL-97 DOGS SEIZED PLEASANT GARDEN, NC(US).

(http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/16320/NC/US/)
    THESE PEOPLE ARE OBVIOUSLY SICK PEOPLE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT ANIMALS!!!DON'T BUY THEIR SICK PUPPIES!!!

**********Authorities have seized 97 dogs from a Pleasant Garden kennel as part of a four-month investigation into what Sheriff BJ Barnes called “a puppy mill out of control.”

Her son said the 12-year-old kennel has a quality record.

Officials declined to describe the dogs’ living conditions.

Tyler Rush said the kennel always has acted quickly with customer complaints.

• Dr
      7th of May, 2010
    Rush Kennels - OUT OF BUSINESS
    Rush Kennels
    North Carolina

For all of you that have purchased dogs from this facility and been unhappy I have good news.

The owners of Rush Kennel have been arrested and all of their dogs have been taken away. The complaints are numerous and so are the charges.

• Co
      6th of May, 2010

GREENSBORO --
    [Savage talks to reporters following Monday's hearing.]
    Savage talks to reporters following Monday's hearing. More
    The owner of a Pleasant Garden kennel where more than 90 malnourished dogs were seized must now pay for the cost of their care at the Guilford County Animal Shelter, a Guilford County judge ruled Monday morning.

Owner Sheila Rush Savage and Robert Landreth, a caretaker at the Rush Kennel, both face charges of animal cruelty.

Savage must pay $50, 400.90 to help pay for the care of the 97 dogs which were seized last month following a four-month investigation that was sparked by customer complaints. She will also be billed for the care of the animals until the conclusion of the trial.

The judge also ruled that Savage can't get three of the dogs back that she claimed were her personal pets.

Savage, who lives in Raleigh, faces 12 charges, including seven felonies and five misdemeanors.

Fourteen dog owners complained that their pets were sick, and one dog died.

Of the 97 dogs taken from the kennel, one suffered from malnourishment, another had tumors, one was missing an eye, one was missing its lower jaw and a greyhound was found with more than 30 ticks, authorities said.

Savage's lawyer said there's an explanation behind every one of the dogs that was allegedly mistreated.

Outside the courtroom on Monday, savage claimed her innocence and blamed the pet owners for the problems with the dogs.

"I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for them because they shouldn't have come in and taken them anyway. They could have come in and asked to see the facility. They could have asked to come in with Animal Control if they had a problem, " Savage said, adding that in the past 12 years, Animal Control officers hadn't cited her for any violations.

She also blamed Guilford County Sheriff BJ Barnes, calling the investigation political because he us up for re-election.

"It's a ploy to get more votes. Let's just face it. I have a large facility. I am well known. So why not come after me?" she said.

• Co
      6th of May, 2010

Look up www.wxii.com and look that this kennel just got there dogs all 97 of them took for not taking care of them!! most starved to Death VERY VERY Bad kennel

• 44
      2nd of May, 2010

I too purchased a Weim from Rush Kennels that was whelped in May of 2008 and I picked up in July 2008. I thought I had done my research but apparently there was not as much out there at the time negative. As everyone states, she sounded great on the phone and wanted a deposit before the pups were even born. When I was finally able to see the pups at two weeks old, I was not allowed to see the mother or father. This really upset me. But of course as a newly wed who had a lingering $350 deposit on the puppy, I still went along with it. I picked up my Weim a little over 8 weeks old. I was given a UKC registration paper. Now, my story isn't as bad as others. My dog is a great dog and thank God I did not have health issues with mine. She has a great disposition and her body seems to be in great shape. She's never been sick. But I consider her and myself very lucky and fortunate. However, shortly after I picked her up I realized they never supplied me with a microchip ID number. I thought that odd. So I called, stating this fact, and almost instantly she starts reading off this "number" to me. I thought that odd as well. A year later two veterinarians could not locate this supposed microchip. It was realized that she was never micro-chipped and I was fed a fake number. And as far as the AKC thing, they preached that to me on the phone. That she would be both AKC and UKC certified. I think I also remember it being posted at that time. Perhaps that's when things fell through for her. When I called trying to question this fact, I to no surprise was never called back and they would never answer my phone calls after that. I love my dog. But do I regret that she came out of that place? I do. I consider it an accidental rescue of a puppy mill pup and I never intended on getting another one through her. I did get a second Weim a year later from a reputable AKC breeder, and let me tell you, the experiences are night and day. I definitely learned my lesson. I hope they're officially shut down.

27th of Apr, 2010

We too bought a puppy from Sheila. Reading this post is like a blast from the past. She would not let me see any of the other puppies nor the parents. She took a sizeable deposit and when we went to pick the puppy up, she had "fogotten" to mention that the puppy had had a hernia repair but assured us we wouldn't even notice the scar-a weim has very short hair, of course you can see it! Then had the nerve to say she didn't remove the dew claws because of scarring. She also had forgotten to tell us that the puppy was not AKC registered. She told us that both the father and mother were AKC registered and our puppy was eligible. This was a lie. We were given the chance to back out, but our deposit was non-refundable-$500! We got the puppy home and noticed that he was constantly coughing. Big suprise-he had kennel cough. I too tried to call-multiple times-without success. We were mislead all the way around. We had our dog fixed since there was no one to breed him with because he wasn't AKC registered. We love our dog but we definitely didn't get what we paid for.

• Li
      19th of Apr, 2010

Do not be misled into believing AKC, CKC, UKC are all the same . It is not that there are not good breeders that breed and register with registries other than AKC, but even as good as some may be the issue with the other registries other than AKC is that even a good breeder that uses another of those can not be certain due to the other registries leinient registration policies that they are dealing with a pure breed dog to begin with as lineage does not have to be proven the dog only has to appear to be of the breed you are stating by visual observation, which is not always accurate just by looking at a dog. Which may or may not be the fault of the person who gets the dog with intentions of breeding purebreed dogs as they may have gotten thier dog beleiving it to be pure bred because the person they got it from said it was but knew differently. It is a cycle for the unknowing and innocent who believe they have a pure breed but were decieved and those that are doing the decieving are the ones who love these other registries (like Shelia Rush) because even when they know a dog is mixed with another breed as long as they can get a vet to verify that yes it looks to be a Lab, then they are allowed to register it.
    The other issue with Registries other than AKC is that many times a breeder will place a dog/puppy as a pet with limited registration and the reasons for doing so can vary some being that the dog should just not be bred due to qualities that should not be passed on and many other reasons to many to get into in this forum. To get around this many puppy mills. backyard breeders and others who just dont want to abide by the contract they have signed with the original breeder ( such as the Shelia Rush) will get the puppy/dog from the breeder and intentionally set out to decieve an honest breeder by registering that dog/puppy that was placed with them under contract and intent that it was NEVER to be bred . They can do this because there is no check and balance system for the other registries they do not care that a dog was not to be bred or for the reasons. The dishonest people that get these puppies/dogs know this and this is how they get around the breeding contract and breed a dog that was not suppose to be in the first place for reasons that may not be obvious, such as health, conformation, or many other reasons that one who does not show or studies the breed and knows thier lines would not be aware of.
    This is why the AKC will not allow dogs from registries it is not affiliated with or recognize to be shown in conformations shows with the breeds. It really comes down to honesty, character, morals, and intentions. While not every great dog is a show dog, not every dog should be bred. While not every good breeder is a huge show person in oreder to breed healthy, quality dogs you must be familiar with every aspect of you breed including the shows othewise you would not really know you are breeeding a dog that is of standard or that should be producing. Finally I will say there as some great kennels out there that do not have small numbers of dogs but rather many. albiet some of those do have great healthy, genetcially sound dogs and the small show/hobby/professional breeder would not be here without some of those great kennels as the lines would not exist without them. It comes down to a matter of individual prefference among those looking for a pet and what it is they deem important. You can get a great healthy dog from some of the bigger kennels but those dogs are still different in personality than what one can get from a small/hobby/professional breeder that has fewer dogs, whelps fewer litters at a time and has the capability to give their dogs much more individual attention that someone with a Kennel with a greater number of dogs and puppies being whelped has the capacity to give. Either can give you healthy puppy but it comes down to the type of personality you are looking for.

• Wa
      19th of Apr, 2010

AKC, CKC, UKC it all the same he dog is only as good as the breeder. I do not belive you have to show your dogs or only have a few dogs to produce healthy puppies it all depends on the breeding stock you chose. No dog that has helth problems should ever be breed to many helthy dogs for that. I can not undertand why Sheia's dogs where in such bad shape she had help I gusse she just did not care what a shame. The pitcures of those dogs tell the whole story(A pitcure is worth a thousand words) the post of customers saying they are happy I do not belive. Shelia should be made to pay the cost of keeping the dogs up at the shelter never allowed o own pets again. I estimate she made 30, 000 or more off those dogs a year there is no excuse for neglect.

• Un
      16th of Apr, 2010

MY QUESTION IS IF SOMEONE IS HAPPY WITH THE BREEDER WHY WOULD THEY BE READING ABOUT COMPLAINTS...PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT WHEN THERE IS POSITIVE FEED BACK IT IS FROM THE INDIVIDUAL TRYING TO SAVE FACE...

NICE TRY!

• Li
      15th of Apr, 2010

We do not need more laws or stronger laws, there are laws on the books to prevent these kinds of situations from happening. What we need are more enforcement of the laws already in place. By instituting more laws it just makes things more difficult for the responsible people who show, breed, truly love their dogs/pets as true family members and only breed a limited number of litters. It is the small breeder show person that provide happy healthy, loving pets to people who are interested in a pure breed puppy that instituting more laws and restrictions will harm and posibly force them to no longer be able to breed the healthy dogs they do. In turn it people like Shelia will be the ones who can afford to continue to breed and push puppies out. This will inturn have a very bad result for those who want a pure breed puppy that is healthy and happy, because if more laws make it no longer feasable or allowable for the small breeder show person to continue the only option left for those who want a pure breed puppy will be those breeders like Shelia or those who do not home raise thier puppies and instead raise them in kennels and have many litters at a time and many throughout the year. So before you push for yet more laws and restrictions, think of the consequences of that and also remember that while this is a horrible story and NO animal should be treated like this, people like Shelia are truly in the minority when it comes to breeders. Most breeders, especially many of the small ones I have met truly love thier dogs and care where they go.

• Po
      14th of Apr, 2010

I hope this crazy woman and her employees get what they richly deserve
    and that's the max in punishment we have to get stronger laws in N.C.
    so these puppy mills and owners get shut down and put behind bars where
    they belong!! God bless all the puppies and hope they all get good homes...
    they deserve that after what they have been through!!

14th of Apr, 2010

Oh Amazing Grace. Any new comments after all the flattering news press that Sheila Savage has been getting. I would seriously consider when hearing all the bad to look into things before defending someone.

"I Disagree it's apparent the last couple of post were posted under different names perhaps by the same person. Bogus complaints to say the least. First of all Sheila Rush has not owned the Kennel for quite awhile, she moved to Raleigh NC over a year ago. Rush Kennels has been under New Management for quite awhile now, its also posted under the contact us page of there home website www.rushkennel.com. I have purchased two puppies from Rush Kennels, I also have family and friends that have purchased from them, they are all happy with their puppies. My Veterinarian speaks highly of this kennel, he told me back when I was looking for a Weimaraner that he had several clients over the years that purchased from this kennel and all the puppies he had examined were healthy. It's unfortunate that someone feels a need to try and slander an apparent reputable business, most people understand that you can not always believe everything you read on the internet. Perhaps the person or persons posting these bogus post might infact be a competetor, just a thought."

In response...no I am not a competetor, and not posting under different names like Sheila and her workers do in an attempt to make her business seem legit. I guess the slander wasn't so slanderous after all. I have been waiting for this years!!! And karma is just what she got. And for your sake if you are an actual customer and not Sheila or one of her employees, I hope that your puppies are healthy. Vets bills on one of her dogs could bankrupt someone, but to own two or three, they could really get up there.

For everyone else who is a victim...I contacted the sheriffs office handling the case and gave them my information and offered to send any paperwork that may be needed to ensure that Sheila gets what she deserves. At the current time they are still shifting through paperwork they already have, but I am sure that the more offers they get to provide more information, they may still seek more charges.

• Pr
      14th of Apr, 2010

I think she got what she deserves. She has been nothing but a nusience to everyone, not just to her animals, but to her customers, her neighbors, her family and her friends. I think they should tie bones around her neck and let the dogs go after her and treat her like she treated them. SHE IS A DISGRACE to the human populations. PUT HER UNDER THE JAIL...When they find her guilty part of her sentence should be that she never be allowed any kind of animal or pets ever again as long as she is alive...

• Lo
      12th of Apr, 2010

PUPPY MILL, PUPPY MILL, PUPPY MILL!!! ALL HER DOGS WERE SEIZED ON APRIL 4, 2010. SEE ALL THIS NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WAS REAL, AND PEOPLE NEED TO LISTEN. DO NOT BUY A PUPPY FROM THIS PERSON. ALL OF HER ANIMALS HAD DEFECTS AND OR DEADLY DISEASE'S (THEIR ORGAN'S HANGING OUT) HOOK WORMS, MANGE, ETC. THE NEWSPAPER SAYS THAT SHE HAD ELECTRIC FENCE WIRE HOOKED UP IN THEIR CAGES TO ZAP THEM ALL THE TIME INTO SUBMISSION. WHAT KIND OF PERSON IS THIS!!! I AM APPALLED, AND ALL OF US ANIMAL LOVERS NEED TO SEARCH AND FIND EVERY LISTING OF PUPPIES SHE HAS FOR SALE AND LEAVE COMMENTS TO THE SEIZURE, MOST OF HER PUPPIES DIE OR HAVE DEFECTS. PLEASE, NO MORE PUPPY MILLS. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS LADY!!!

• Ro
      11th of Apr, 2010

I have not dealt with the kennel, but I do know that NC, along with every other state, needs tougher laws governing these puppy mills. If the accusations are true, there is a special place in hell for people like that. I only hope God can open up the gate long enough for me to see them get their rewards.
    The paper says she'll get 56 months probation for 6 felonies! Who else gets probation for that many felonies? The laws need to change, people. Tell your elected officails "you mean business!".