Royal Resorts, Goa / Restrictive trade practice & falsification of information to consumer.

1 IN Review updated:

COMPLAINT AGAINST ROYAL RESORTS – GOA (KARMA RESORTS INTL)

Sir, I along with my wife and son happen to be visiting Goa in Dec 08 where during a ferry in the Mandovi river one night we came across a person asking us to scratch cards. He was from the marketing team of the Royal resorts, Goa. Innocuously me and my wife scratched our cards and my wife happen to win 7 night stay at Royal resorts Goa and I won a restaurant voucher .Yes we were excited and we didn’t see the next thing coming. We had to visit the resort at Baga(Monte Rio) and had to go through their marketing presentation / session with their customer executives before we could claim our gift. Theirs was a timed sharing resort and they were looking for prospective customers.

We visited them the next day. They started their session and I told them that I didn’t find their product convincing. The session continued and went through many hours. They were trying to sell their product very hard and I was not seeing enough reasons to buy it. After the presentation and a visit round the resort, the customers’ executive now had the company of another manager(accounts manager) who started with quoting the membership cost, which I found exorbitant. He then started offering discounts for us (special case as he insisted) and came up with a figure which he said that we should not refuse. I still wasn’t sure and said that I needed time but they have a company policy of signing “TODAY”. I found this policy very unethical as a customer we needed time to check various aspects but they said that was the company policy. Finally the accounts manager came up with a rate and a policy of alternate year membership for Rs 1, 81, 000/- and said that I could avail it for a down payment of Rs 15, 000/-, howver the scheme was valid only if I were to sign that day sitting there. I wanted more time as I wanted to do a little research but that opportunity was not extended to me or for that matter any other customer. They were to take me to see their other resorts in Goa the next day but I had to sign the agreement that day. In the meantime they had taken us around the resort, the health club, apartments, to a sitting area and I had a couple of apprehensions. Firstly the health club was just ok, nothing close to standard of a resort(RCI member) and I was told that the health clubs at the other resorts were good as health club was very high on my list of priorities. Seeing an apartment I enquired that the bathroom in the one bedroom apartment ( which was our consideration ) did not have a bath tub. To me a bathtub was an important aspect. I was again told that the rooms in Monte-Rio did not have the tubs but similar rooms in the other resorts had the tubs. They took us to a sitting area which was probably on the top floor and we were told that this area is actually meant for foreigners; but they did make us sit there; probably trying to project that they were giving us importance. I found this aspect demeaning as it showed discrimination; however since they did make us sit there and looked after us I didn’t pursue the matter.

I had not seen the rest of the resorts and so there were a great number of apprehensions. I was also not very clear of their accommodation status, i.e. whether the accommodation promised was available and they told me that they were not like Mahindra holidays who were selling their holidays to non members at the cost of the members. Well that was what they said and I had no other source of information. Also, I could only see the rest of the resorts on the next day after signing their agreement.

They wanted me to sign their agreement for a down payment of Rs 15, 000/-that very day.I asked them what if I was not happy with the rest of the resorts or for any reasons I didn’t wish to continue then what? After a little thinking the accounts manager told me that the money paid by me cant be returned but I could get my moneys worth from the company in such an eventuality. To be sure I asked again to confirm and he told me the same thing that I would be given my moneys worth in form of stay. Now that was the triggering mechanism which made me sign the agreement for I was at least confident that my money would not be lost. I then signed the agreement.

After signing our agreement we collected our gift vouchers which we had won and which brought us to the resort. To my surprise the Free stay voucher also entailed a cost of 4000/- rupees which was termed as processing fees for a non member. After collecting the vouchers (Restaurant and the free stay) we went to the Resorts Restaurant. There I was shocked to see the condition of the Menu card which was tattered and not just one Menu card the whole lot of them. This started to ring a bell in my ears and my apprehensions started about their quality started to come true.

The next day we were taken by them to the other three resorts in south Goa then things started to unfold. Firstly I wad told by the executive the previous day that all their resorts are Gold class but that was not what I saw on reaching, may be just one or two were classified as gold.

Secondly the condition of their health centers/ gym was pathetic except that of Haathi Mahal which was decent and I was made to believe that their Health clubs were great.

I then started looking for one room apartments with bath tubs which I was told existed however to my surprise I didn’t find an apartment with a bath tub. All of them just had showers.

I then thought of meeting some present members to get their feedback. At one of the resorts by the swimming pool I found two Indian gentlemen . To get first hand information I enquired with them about the accommodation availability in the resorts. The first person just smiled and did not say a word which made me a little curious, so I asked the other person. He said that every year when he was to call for booking the accommodation, he was always denied at the very outset. In his words the people at the reservation desk/call center behaved with the immaturity of say class 10 students just disapproving their requests even before checking up; and later after much fighting he always managed to find accommodation .This incident shows how hollow is the resorts’ claim about great accommodation availability and great service.

After our visit to three resorts that day I felt unhappy on many accounts and I mentioned it to the executive who was accompanying us and even filled their debrief proforma mentioning my apprehensions. At the interaction during the presentation and in their company brochure they told us that there resorts had the best beaches, pools and restaurants and none of the resort has its own beach, and they don’t even have a pick up and drop service to the beach . and the restaurant I visited had a tattered menu card.

It was days later flipping through the pages of the brochure that I came across the re-credit policy on cancellation of holiday:

90 days: 100% Re-credited
89-60 days 75 % recredited
59-30 days: 50% re-credited
Less than 30 days: 0% recredited

This was a complete revelation. This is a company policy and would be in effect but not a soul mentioned it from the company in our interaction and during the signing of our agreement I’m an Armed Force Officer and we generally don’t have the luxury of planning holidays 6 months in advance . We travel on holidays at short notices and many a time due service exigency our leave is cancelled and at times of crises we don’t get leave .If I ever had any inkling of such a policy I would never enter the agreement and the company for the reasons of their own never mentioned about it for which I feel cheated. A customer/consumer who is new to this sector will not be aware of policies of this sort and it is imperative fort the company to educate the prospective customer completely.

By the time I got back from Goa, I was sure that I didn’t want to be associated with them so I started the process of writing to them. All our correspondence is attached .

I first wrote to them on 27 Dec 08 and after two reminders and phone calls, I received their first letter on 24 Feb 09 –about two months after my letter. Their reply failed to satisfy me because the bottom line was that the money paid was non-refundable. I wrote back to them and got in touch with the person who had said that in such an eventuality we would get our monies worth. On calling this manager, he failed to recognize me and after reminding him of what he had quoted he informed me that he was very sorry that he mentioned to me that I would get our monies worth. I was really shocked and again felt completely cheated.

I wrote back to them and mentioned that me and my wife had won a 7 night stay (studio apart) as a non member (voucher G 812602 dated 6 Dec 08)which I was not really interested in availing so instead of this free stay just give me a stay in 1 bhk against it, which according to me was very reasonable as my 15, 000/- would be adjusted against a free stay. Before this arrangement in my first letter I had mentioned to deduct an amount of say Rs 2000/- and return me the rest but they did not agree on either of these arrangements. I wrote to them on 7 mar and after a reminder on 19 Apr 09 I got a reply on 21 Apr 09 in which they were offering me a three year short membership for an amount of Rs 33, 708/- and additional maintenance fee for every year.

I don’t want to pay a rupee more as the complete experience has been very harassing and I have felt cheated as a customer where what I was promised has not been delivered. I again wrote to them on 28 Apr 09 that I was not interested in this three years membership and I again requested them that instead of the one week holiday that I have won as a non member, just let me avail that in a 1bhk at no extra cost and my money would be adjusted there. This according to me is the easiest solution as these people charge Rs 4, 000/- as processing/admn/resv fee(for what they claim is a free stay-compare this with Mahindra which is actually free)and an amount of Rs 4000/- for upgrading to a 1bhk apartment.The two together amount to a total of Rs 8000/- and I have already paid them an amount of Rs 15, 000/- .I even mentioned to them that instead of 1 week if I were to get even 4 nights at Baga (Monte Rio) with probably breakfast I would be happy, but none of this made any sense to them. I had written this mail on the 28 Apr 09 and sent reminders to them on the 30 May09 and 11 Jun09 and made a phone call in the month of Jul but to no avail. I even mentioned to them that in case I was not to hear from their company I would be compelled to go to consumer forums, still to no avail. Just on 21 Jul they re-send me an old mail which they had sent me on the 21 Apr09 without even changing the dates which talked about 3 months membership so now I have no option but to address my grievance to these forums. I just wish to recapitulate the problem areas where I feel the company is at wrong, the company’s services are poor and the issues on which I feel cheated:

(a) Bath Tubs: I was told that 1 bhk aparts have a bath tub but they don’t. The company’s executives should not make such false promises.

(b) Condition of Health Clubs; In a two of the three resorts which I visited in Dec 08 it was very very poor.

(c) Class of theResorts : Gold: I was told that they were Gold but probably only two out of the three were.

(d) Discrimination between guests: I was taken to a sitting area which I was told was meant only for foreigners which I found very discriminating. We, however was made to sit there.

(e) Tattered menu car : At the restaurant we were taken in Monte-Rio. Reflects poorly on the Maintenance of the resorts.

(f) Poor Reservation Services: As told to me by one of the members.He said he is always denied reservation and told of non-availability when actually there exists accommodation.

(g) Non briefing of their cancellation /recrediting policy: Knowing very well that I was an armed force officer whose leave/holidays are generally not very well planned and may be cancelled on the last moment, no one in the company mentioned about their re-credit policy where one needs to cancel booking 90 days in advance to avail 100% holidays and 0% re-credit on cancellation less than 30 days.

(h) Signing Today: The policy of signing today does not give the customer a fair chance to know that he’s getting into and after a few hours of hectic marketing by the company’s executives, signing becomes almost a civil thing to do.

(i) Promising of getting my moneys worth on cancellation: Verbally promised but company is not agreeing to that, on the other hand asking to pay an additional amount of Rs 18708/- plus Maintenance fee every year which is more than 10, 000/- per year for three years membership. I’m not interested in any membership.

(j) No Beaches: None of the resorts have their private Beach and they don’t even have a pick up/drop to the beaches. Compare this to Mahindra which has its own beach and even on the house water sports. Since one has to sign that very day at that time there is no scope of doing any research and comparing services. Which is the biggest disadvantage to the customer. This policy is a completely unethical and should be done away with.

(k) Asking for a holiday in lieu of the free holiday of 7 nights won as a nonmember (voucher G 812602 06 Dec08).For the holiday that the company claims it provides free it charges Rs 4000/-as the processing fee and another Rs 4000/- for upgrading a studio apart to 1 bhk. I asked if the company can give me 7 nights in 1 bhk and I will not claim any free holiday and call quits.my Rs 15, 000/- can be adjusted in this way but the company is silent. I had also told the company that they can give me this holiday in Jaipur and not necessarily in Goa as I had recd a call from them about availing holidays for nonmembers in Jaipur before I got into this cancellation business with them.

(l) Poor communication service: They don’t write back or call back . Require a number of reminders.

All this suggests that the services of the company are rather poor. With so many grievances, I still maintained a very cordial and gentlemanly behaviour when communicating with them. Firstly asking them first to deduct an amount of Rs 2000/-from my Rs 15, 000/- and returning me the rest and later telling then that I wanted to forgo their free stay of 7 nights .I asked the company to extend me a stay in 1 bhk instead of a studio apartment at no extra cost and I will consider my Rs 15, 000/- has been utilized in that stay.

Now with no compromise in sight I wish to start proceedings against them as they have cheated me on various accounts. It also reflects on our consumers’ misfortune where I feel these people cheat a lot of people like me and get away with it. In anticipation of suitable action being initiated against the said company so that they do not continue to swindle people of their hard earned money, and the public in general at large are made aware of such restrictive and malpractice being followed by the company.

The details of the company are given below.

The Royal Holiday Club

---Sd---
(Tushar Agrawal)
Wg Cdr
IAF

Comments

• Aa
      Aug 26, 2009

tu chutiya hai jo membership kharida. annual managment charge dekh kar phati. jo 15% har saal badthi hai ...

Sep 09, 2009

This company are currently (w/e 6/09/2009) recruiting in the UK through "Jobs North West" (and, probably, originally through the Manchester Evening News), offering wages of £1000 per week OTE. Decide for yourselves if this is achievable and/or ethical, and whether you will ever see your money! Good luck!

• Ba
      Oct 19, 2009

I'm a member of royal resorts. I now feel i've made a big mistake by joining it. Its a complete waste of money.

The customer support people are totally unhelpful and foul mouthed. I wasted my 2008 week because of their rotten service despite paying the management charges.

They are liers and lazy bunch of people. They dont pick up phone most of the time. Neither do the respond to emails. They have caused me a lot of pain and frustration. I feel grossly cheated.

If the management sincerely read these feedbacks, they should take prompt action against these c care people or else i have to take steps to protect my interests.

• Su
      Oct 29, 2009

I would like to know what can we be done to stop these cheaters? It is sad that some good people fall pray to these kind of scam. I am willing to pay whatever it cost to have full page warning in the national and local news papers. Anyway, I lost so much money to these crooks, I don't mind spending little more to save others from falling victim to this scam.

If anyone out there willing to stop this let us take some legal action together and make public aware of this royal resort criminals.

My email address [protected]@rediffmail.com

Nov 16, 2009

hello sir/mam,
    i m a member of royal resorts and mr reddy gave very false commitments in favour of royal wen my family 1st visited your resorts in march 2008...den he took us for prsentations.. he convinced us for the membership and den he tols us u can book any resort 45 days in advance and now i want my family to go one week holiday and royal did not booked my destination and not even bothered to call me or reply to my mails...mr roy is following my case and now i dont want ROYALS MEMBERSHIP AND PLS REFUND MY MEMBERSHIP AMOUNT WITH 1 YEAR INTEREST...
    HOPE ROYAL WILL COOPERATE WITH ME SO THAT I CAN ENJOY WITH MY FAMILY IN FUTURE...
    WAITING FOR EARLY ACTION BY ROYAL...
    THANKING YOU...
    REGARDS
    VIKAS BUDHIRAJA

• Le
      Mar 24, 2010

This is just to bring to your notice that we have been conned into this scheme of royal resort.
    We were stopped at the beach in Goa saying that we were the lucky prize winners of 7 days stay in goa in a 5 star hotel but for which we will have to attend a 1 hour presentation, which like fools we attended. That presentation went on for 3 hours. We wasted 3 hours of our short vacation for something as silly as this. We did not join them as we were members of another time share programme
    They gave us this vouchers which had a choice of stay in Bali. Goa, Jaipur or Kerala. When I checked with them they said that we will have to attend 1 hour of presentation again in the place we choose. Can you believe attending this presentation again when your on your vacation where they will explain the same thing & make you join their company by force. If you don't attend their presentation then they will charge us an amount of room.

Who will use thier resorts? This is totally unfair & will go into papers for sure & in blogs.
    This will defiantly ruin the name of ROYAL RESORTS COMPANY.

My ernest request to all, don't get conned by these time share companies

• Ur
      Jun 04, 2010

I totally agree with all the comments, these people are bunch of cheats. Let's make a forum and sue them together. There was one idiot Sulaiman who I fell prey to and paid Rs 186, 000 for a membership. It's a waste of time and money.

Uraz
    Email [protected]@gmail.com

• Sh
      Jun 22, 2010

i have been given this by a member on mouthshut.com Complain here : ccccore.co.in or fcamin.nic... i too am facing the same issue. trying really hard to get my money back.

• Kr
      Feb 07, 2012

If anyone still is thinking for suing this people. Contact me on [protected]. I have paid 2 lacs to them. And I want every paise back now. Lets get together and sue them.

• Do
      Feb 21, 2012

they use the same mode to lure innocent tourists.

Oct 07, 2012

Just wondering how the company and its representatives provide the same fraudlant statement even after all these comments and complaints. I happen to meet those company guys in Goa this year (Jun 2012) and I am shocked to see the same words described by Wg Cdr Tushar Agrawal in 2009 itself. I was not convinced with their 15000 guarntee to avail within 2 yrs. Luckily escaped...Just holding a voucher to reservce for Rs. 50000. After reading the comments I feel their appartments will also be UNSAFE.
    ---Vivek

• Je
      Oct 15, 2012

V.true...me and my husband went their..their marketing manager spoke all the things with full of energy, we were v.happy to listen all this good things n nice offers.At the time of membership my husband was so hard for not taking the membership.i thought we should take this.but he refused me.After reading all this comments Now i feel much peace for not taking the memberships thanks to all of u for giving awareness about this cheated resort..

• Su
      Nov 12, 2012

But can we atleast use the 7 days voucher by paying 5650/- and going through presentation of 90 mins and not taking membership, i think its worth it for 7 days.

pls reply since i m planning to avail this.

• Ra
      Nov 22, 2012

I have this same voucher. When I spoke to Royal's Marketing team they mentioned that I have to pay Rs. 5000 as enrolment fee and that money is refundable.Also, I have to pay Rs.3000 as a hotel security deposit.So overall I have to pay 8, 000 rs and the entire amount is refundable. Can anyone help me out in this case.Is it mandatory to take membership. Are there any other charges ? Can anyone upload hotel rooms pics. I want to make sure that they do not create a fuss or make me sign some agreement of taking any membership. Please let me know.Thanks, Rajesh ([protected]@gmail.com)

• Yo
      Dec 12, 2012

Hi Rajesh,

I agree with those guys, i have availed this holiday, rooms are good, u get ur chq of Rs 5000 and cash of Rs. 3000 while checking out. other charges include goa govt tax of Rs 100 per day and Rs. 45 towards some donation. They will take u to hathi mahal for showing property and membership offer which is not compulsory to take.

For more details you can call me on [protected]

Regards
    Yogesh

Jan 30, 2013

Hi,
    Mr.Rajesh & Mr.Yogesh
    we also have same voucher. Even we paid 5000/-.Please tell us what's your experience.
    They treat us well..? We are visiting royal club next month. So please tell us what to do.
    Is it worth to pay 8000/-...? We should go for it or not? By Reading all the comment we make our mind that Will not pay for membership ? U all help us from big headache.. Thanx to u all for ur help through ur comments & advise .

Apr 22, 2013

hi their
    i gone through the process. nothing is wrong. i only put comments but now I feel its all wrong.
    the club is good & even their service too. see it all depends on u how u take it. some people see the empty part some people can see the fulfillment. I spend a week at Goa Royal resort. the week is my memorable event. it's like dream vacations. don't worry go for it. enjoy the free vacation & then take the decision of membership. I purchase the membership & I am happy.

• Tu
      Jun 03, 2013

dear sir/ma'am.. the complaint above was made by me and i wish to inform you all that the top management in the company got in touch with me after I had posted it. They promised to look into the issues raised by me and also to settle my grievances. I wish to put on record that the company co-operated with me in settling my grievances and I hold no more grievances with them as the issues have been ironed out. I would suggest to the guests having issues to contact the company directly so that they can be settled at the earliest. Thank you. Tushar Agrawal, Wg Cdr, IAF

• Ny
      Jun 08, 2013

In reference to Tushar's statement above dated 3 Jun 2013, I note that Tushar's experience was in December 2008. I am not sure when Tushar posted his complaint which outlines his experience from December 08 and the ensuing days, but there is a very long time lag between december 2008, and early 2009 when he was still attempting redress from the company and Tushar's post on 3 June 2013. I am currently attempting to settle difference after i signed when I was provided inaccurate and misleading information by Royal.

• We
      Oct 23, 2013

Mr Vikas Budhiraja who has listed an issue on this page, was unable to remove the comment.

However, after discussion with the company, his issue has been resolved to his total satisfaction and he is looking forward to his holiday in Thailand in March 2014.

Please be aware that in the first instance if you contact the Member services department they can assist you. If the Odyssey Navigators are not offering you a satisfactory reply then please speak to the Manager of the office. In worst case please feel free to contact me.

Regards - Susan - for Karma Royal Group
    [protected]@royalperspectvie.com

Jan 06, 2014

“ I posted a complaint on this website in November 2009. https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/royal-resorts-goa-c243405.html#c1294349 To date I have tried unsuccessfully to remove or amend it. I want to state that the Member services department of Royal Resorts have resolved any issues I had and I am happy with their service now. So please IGNORE the previous post as through direct communication we have all issues resolved. Any person having questions about the service or the membership should call and speak to them in the first instance before posting comments as they are hard to remove once posted.“

• Lo
      Feb 22, 2014

THANK GOD FOR THESE COMMENTS! I WAS OFFERED A 2NIGHT STAY FOR JUST RS. 2000/- IN KUMARAKOM-KERALA AND WAS ABOUT TO PAY WHEN I JUST CHECKED THE COMPLAINTS AND WAS HORRIFIED!!!

THANK YOU GUYS!!

THE MANAGEMENT SHOULD CHANGE OR THE BUSINESS WILL DROP AND ONE DAY SOME ONE IS GOING TO TAKE LEGAL ACTION AND THEY ARE GOING TO FOLD.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU GUYS!!

• Dh
      Mar 13, 2014

Hi,

We have recently paid full membership charges and now when we like to avail their services per them we need to buy more points and asking Rs.23000/- for same and on top they are asking Rs.17600/- as membeship service charges. Pls suggest what should I Do, feeling cheated after paying full membership charges...

regards,