Royal Holiday Club / cancellation of contract

1 Mexico Review updated:

We purchased a points contract back in 2004 from Royal Holiday Club in Cancun, Mexico. We no longer desire to deal with RHC and decided to not pay the maintenance fee for 2012. We have received letters plus emails from RHC requesting the fee be paid. I have responded via email to them asking for the address of the RHC Headquarters in Mexico so we can formally request our contract be terminated. I did not receive the address, but instead I continued receiving emails requesting the fee be paid. We were told the contract could not be terminated and it contained a clause stating such. My reply to them was that the contract contained a clause that stated that if the buyer (us) refused to pay the fee, that the seller (RHC) could terminate the contract. We asked that the contract be terminated based upon that option. Again, we did not receive a response to the request. Instead, we received yet another email that the fee must be paid immediately and that a late fee had been added since the payment was over 30 days delinquent. We would like for someone to give us the RHC address in Mexico so we can request termination of our contract. Then we will have formally placed our desire in writing in order to establish credible contact with the headquarters instead of dealing with the subordinate customer service reps who continue to harass us. Help in this regard is very much appreciated!!! Walter Jones

Comments

17th of Sep, 2012

same position as you. from canada and trying to find a lawyer. will keep you posted if i can

• Al
      15th of Oct, 2012

Were you successful? I'm trying to do the same now.

16th of Oct, 2012

I got in touch with a lawyer and we began by requesting a copy of the contract. He said not to worry about collections in the US (I'm in Canada) because he'll deal with them. I'm aiming to get a full refund from royal holiday so we'll see how it goes. Slow progress but I'll keep you guys posted.

• Lu
      21st of Nov, 2012

I am in the same position, though I know is hard to obtain the money that you paid back.My only desire is to cancel and not to pay maintenance fees any more for a vacation you are not using . It is so difficult to go on vacations with them... space is not available and you have to pay extra because the credits are not enough... a complete scam. I do not have money to pay an attorney, I will stop paying the fees and start receiving calls and collections letters from them, also I believe my credit will be compromised.

• So
      27th of Jun, 2013

Most timeshare companies are taking advantage of people, often those who are more vulnerable and less able to resist hard sales tactics. It happened the same to me with a Royal Elite Timeshare promotion, but I was able to handle the presentation without buying a timeshare. I have heard of many cases where maintenance costs rise well above inflation. It would appear the timeshare companies lock people into contracts and then drive up their profits though increased maintenance charges. It would be good to see legislation whereby timeshare companies can only charge "reasonable" maintenance costs and not use this annual fee to fleece people's bank accounts, not only in Mexico, but also in the US. This is another forum with more complaints made on this company:

• Em
      23rd of Aug, 2013

we stayed at Royal Holiday -Park Royal Cancun and got scammed into a 7K membership. 2 days later we saw that the discount and free trips were lies. When we went back to cancell our sales rep had me hand write my reasons for cancelling and said he would take care of the cancellation. Well he didn't I think everything he told us was a lie. Be warned they pressure you and every word is a lie to get you to sign up.

emerson w.

• Ab
      22nd of Nov, 2013

Hello everyone
    My husband and I are in the same situation. We signed up with royal holidays on our honeymoon in Punta Canta. We called Royal holidays and informed them that we wanted to cancel but they informed us we cannot do such thing. Please help.

• Ca
      28th of Feb, 2015

My husband and I also signed up in 2007 in Cancun on our honeymoon. We endured HOURS of one representative after another coming into the room until we finally relented. We have never used this membership because, as others have said, the points are not enough to stay anywhere without incurring additional charges or there is nothing available in the area you want to go. The previous posts are a few years old, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any success in getting out of their contracts.

• Th
      9th of Jul, 2015

I was scammed, lied to, misled, deceived, and defrauded. I want to express my sincere frustration and dissatisfaction with Royal Holiday and how they lie to their potential members and their unethical business practices. Nothing that they tell you is true. Be careful and try to be well informed about how they work. I recommend you this site that might be helpful:

21st of Aug, 2015

I have plans to travel to Mexico in October, specifically to Cancun
    and I am interested in renting a time share there, is there
    someone who wants to rent your week for an affordable price ??
    if there is any interested this is my email: [protected]@hotmail.com

• Ca
      23rd of May, 2016

**UPDATE**
    I originally posted in February 2015 regarding termination of our RH contract. Since that time, we have been inundated with phone calls from Royal Holiday representatives, both via cell phone and at my workplace. We mailed them a certified letter asking for termination of our contract and requested no refund (we have paid off the initial cost of the timeshare). We simply requested that they take the timeshare and do with it as they wished, with no further expectation from us. The letter was initially accepted by e-mail response with the statement that further documentation would need to be completed and that would be sent to us. Instead, we started receiving phone calls from a NEW person asking for payment of our overdue maintenance fees. When we called back, we were told that the contract could not be cancelled and when I explained that it had been approved by Person X, we were told that person didn't have the authority to do so and no longer worked there! To date, they continue to call several times a week.

17th of Oct, 2018

@carlak12 Have you been successful? Has it effected you in regards to your credit score etc

• Ra
      22nd of Jun, 2016

I am in the same boat, I paid for the entire contract and after numerous awful vacations (that is an entire different complaint) I asked for no refund but to be shown a copy of my contract and I wanted out. They have done the same with the phone calls and now have claimed to send the bill to collections. I even sent a small check and asked that that be my last fee and the contract would end. they cashed the check and said they still wanted more.

Still no furnishing of the original contract and they will not leave me alone. I now have almost 10 years of emails and letters to and from Royal.

• Pi
      13th of Dec, 2017

@Ramborach I am going to stop paying maint. fees. Has your credit report been affected? Any further ideas on how to get out of this would be helpful.

• Yv
      20th of Jul, 2018

@piep Hi! I am a dominican lawyer expert in consumer law, with experience in timeshares scams. In the DR, we have a consumers rigths act that protects scammed consumers in this field (section 62 of the No. 358-05 act). You could also read my blog, that has legal advice for timeshares scammed consumers: https://consumolegalrd.blogspot.com/2017/10/legal-advice-against-fraud-in-buying.html
    Hope this could help you!

• Bb
      30th of Dec, 2018

@piep Was your credit ever affected?

• Wa
      8th of Aug, 2018

First, DO NOT PAY ANYONE to help you get rid of your timeshare issue. ALL timeshare attorneys and "advocates" are scams, if they ask for money.

You can simply walk away from your timeshare, at any time. There is nothing they can legally do to you. You issue is in Mexico and remains in Mexico. It cannot and will not follow you to the U.S. It will not affect your credit or cause any legal issues.

I am a former timeshare sales and marketing executive who has worked in the U.S, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean Islands for 15 years. I am sharing with consumers what I had discovered while working in the industry. It will shock consumers and timeshare owners.

I am publishing a book on the timeshare industry with Amazon. This book will explain the tricks they use to talk innocent people like you into buying something they will later regret, and how to easily get out of a timeshare without paying anyone any money.

I have written a report, 13 Shocking Secrets The Timeshare Industry Does Now Want You To Know.

If you want a copy of this Free Report, just email me at my personal email. I will place you on the list to be notified once the book is released.

Visit here. http://eepurl.com/dxsZEb

Best of luck with your concerns.

W.C. Robinson
    www.redweektimesharebook.com

17th of Oct, 2018

@Wayne C. Robinson Royal holidays head office is in the US tho.. . So how would this not affect us or catch up to us

@Robynneh We are in Canada

• De
      10th of Jan, 2019

@Robynneh Hello Robynneh,

Did you ever get a response from Wayne regarding your last post of Oct. 17th, 2018?? I too want to know if it can affect my credit. I paid for my timeshare in full years ago and only have two weeks left to my membership and I want to “walk away” and let them keep my two remaining weeks, but I don’t want to pay the maintenance fees for those two weeks I’m giving back and they insist I have to. Let me know what you have learned so far please. Email me at [protected]@mypacks.net

5th of Sep, 2018

Hi Wayne.

My husband and I are trying too get out of our Royal Holiday club. We have only had it a year. It has been a nightmare from the start. As per the advice of the person who sold it to us. We are demanding a full refund. They won’t give us the México address to send a letter too, so sent the letter too the Miami office as per there website for Canadian residents. Which obviously hasn’t worked. Any advise would be so appreciated. They are threatening too send us too collections. Also will we still be able too travel too México, we did enjoy the actual holiday. But as not very seasoned travelers fell for the opportunity of more holidays, which will not happen with this club.

Thankyou.

• Bb
      30th of Dec, 2018

@Charlieboo67 Did they ever send you to collections?