Royal Holiday Club / not able to use services

1 Mexico Review updated:

I can not get a vacation under my plan either. I have spent time online. I have been looking for anything that can help me get out of this mess. Here are some sites that I have been using to document my case.

This is a resource of accounts to help establish a pattern of fraudulent business practices by Royal Holiday:

other links to helpful sites:

Also, I have joined an online group through Yahoo.

Hope these sites help you fight your case.

Comments

• Un
      19th of May, 2007

Thank you for the great list. The PROFECO page had an explanation of the Mexican law for five days to cancel. I liked seeing that.

Thanks.

• Sh
      20th of May, 2007

I bought a vacation package without checking out this company first. I tried to book a vacation. Told, all booked. Today, I put in Royal Holiday in google, and I see this. I am shocked. I am going to work on this now, not to book a vacation, but to get out of this contract. Thanks. I have mixed feelings, I was so happy at the thought of my vacations, but now I don't think it would ever work. I better cancel.

• Su
      25th of May, 2007

Thank you for the information. It sounded so good at the time, then I spent some time figuring out how much the points were actually costing me, what a vacation actually costs, and then I saw I could go on the same vacations for hundreds of dollars less for a week. It is amazing. The points are very expensive, and the annual fees. I have seen that other members have been given assessments for costs of hurricanes at the resorts where they originally purchased. That is even more expenses. And then, if they sell out all the rooms to non-members, members don't get their vacations. I am glad to see all this information here, it lets me know I need to get out now.

26th of May, 2007

This is the same problem I am having.

28th of May, 2007

There is a United States State Department warning against buying Mexican Timeshares. Please be advised, banks and credit card companies should not be assisting companies like Royal Holiday in these purchases.

REAL ESTATE AND TIME-SHARES: U.S. citizens should be aware of the risks inherent in purchasing real estate in Mexico, and should exercise extreme caution before entering into any form of commitment to invest in property there. Investors should hire competent Mexican legal counsel when contemplating any real estate investment. Mexican laws and practices regarding real estate differ substantially from those in the United States. Foreigners who purchase property in Mexico may find that property disputes with Mexican citizens may not be treated evenhandedly by Mexican criminal justice authorities and in the courts. Time-share companies cannot be sued in U.S. courts unless they have an office or other business presence in the U.S. Consumers should contact a Mexican attorney, the Mexican consumer protection agency PROFECO, or other consumer information agency for information on companies that operate outside of the U.S. Ownership Restrictions: The Mexican Constitution prohibits direct ownership by foreigners of real estate within 100 kilometers (about 62 miles) of any border, and within 50 kilometers (about 31 miles) of any coastline. In order to permit foreign investment in these areas, the Mexican government has created a trust mechanism in which a bank has title to the property but a trust beneficiary enjoys the benefits of ownership. However, U.S. citizens are vulnerable to title challenges that may result in years of litigation and possible eviction. Although title insurance is available in the Baja Peninsula and in other parts of Mexico, it is virtually unknown and remains untested in most of the country. In addition, Mexican law recognizes squatters' rights, and homeowners can spend thousands of dollars in legal fees and years of frustration in trying to remove squatters who occupy their property.

Time-share Investments: U.S. citizens should exercise caution when considering time-share investments and be aware of the aggressive tactics used by some time-share sales representatives. Buyers should be fully informed and take sufficient time to consider their decisions before signing time-share contracts, ideally after consulting an independent attorney. Mexican law allows time-share purchasers five days to cancel the contract for unconditional and full reimbursement. U.S. citizens should never sign a contract that includes clauses penalizing the buyer who cancels within five days. The Department of State and the U.S. Mission in Mexico frequently receive complaints from U.S. citizens about extremely aggressive sales tactics, exaggerated claims of return on investment, lack of customer service and questionable business practices by time-share companies, resulting in substantial financial losses for time-share investors.

A formal complaint against any merchant should be filed with PROFECO, Mexico's federal consumer protection agency. PROFECO has the power to mediate disputes, investigate consumer complaints, order hearings, levy fines and sanctions for not appearing at hearings, and do price-check inspections of merchants. All complaints by U.S. citizens are handled by PROFECO's English-speaking office in Mexico City at 011-52-55-5211-1723 (phone), 011-52-55-5211-2052 (fax), or via email at extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx. For more information, please see the PROFECO "Attention to Foreigners” web page at Profeco (Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor).

• Ol
      30th of May, 2007

I saw this on another complaint board, this is a part of the clip that was taken from the U.S. State Department warning against doing business in Mexico, the full warning says not to sign contracts without taking the time to have an attorney look at it. These vacation clubs are time-shares, and the way the presentations go, they don't allow you to take advantage of the great offers, unless you sign then and now. Beware, there are thousands of Americans who have been scammed, that is why the State Department has issued the warning:

American citizens should exercise caution when considering time-share investments and be aware of aggressive tactics used by some time-share sales representatives. Buyers should be fully informed and take sufficient time to consider their decisions before signing time-share contracts, ideally after consulting an independent attorney. Mexican law allows time-share purchasers five days to cancel the contract for unconditional and full reimbursement. U.S. citizens should never sign a contract that includes clauses penalizing the buyer who cancels within five days.

• He
      8th of Feb, 2008

I'm a victim of the Royal Holiday Club scam. The problem is that people are vacationing every day and they get caught by the scam. Yes, there are hundreds, maybe thousands out there that's been scammed, but there are others that will get in the same predicament. This needs to be stopped. This is organized crime and our Government is doing absolutely nothing to help their citizens. I wrote to the Federal Trade Commission, the Attorney General in Arizona, Florida, Maryland, and the Florida Better Business Bureau. Absolutely nothing was done. Royal Holiday completely ruined my credit. I paid them $10,000 when I signed the contract and was not able to get one trip. Every time I tried to get a trip, there was some excuse, but they wanted me to continue sending them $700 monthly for a service and I could not get services. When I refused to continue sending them money, they sent my name to the credit bureaus. After 4 years of fighting them, they agreed to remove the deragatory information from my credit report. The refused to return any of the $10,000.00. They got $10,000 from me for absolutely nothing. This makes me so angry because they know that what they're doing is wrong, but this is what they do. I asked the representative if he thought what he was doing was ethically wrong and he said no. This is their way of making money and they use the Mexican law to hid behind their crimes. The only way to fix this is to expose Royal Holiday Club in the media and find a political representative to take them on.

• Ye
      19th of Jun, 2008

After going back and reading the tragic experiences above I want to read more about how these good and kind American citizens are often treated abroad. Some of those stories are so tragic that one can hardly believe the test of the complaint.

I have been hit with Time Share hustlers over the years but my wife and I stood together and we never let them divide us from each other. But I witnessed a trio of women in Mazatlan so pressure a little family to the point that the children were crying and the husband and wife were fighting over the legitimacy of such a purchase while, of all things, on vacation.

I know of know one who goes on vacation to buy property of any kind. That is no vacation. No, a real estate purchase is the opposite of "vacation.'

When a family goes to Mexico or any other foreign land, know that you are going to spend some vacation money. But to buy land! To buy a beach house! No. Never. To Buy a Time Share? You know nothing of Time Share. You came to Mexico to play, not to stress out, and end up fighting with each other. If you need to, get nasty with the bold and relentless salesman.

Why not keep your credit card in your pocket. Your check book too. And the same goes for your cash on hand. Do not give them your room number so they can call you up early in the morning for a "Free Breakfast." If you attend, you will be in for one of the highest pressure sales pitches you will ever encounter. And you'll never forget the experience.