Ross Storespaycheck was bounced!!!

I began to work on June 18, 2018. I was told to not worry about clocking in as I was not "in the system" yet to clock in and that my manager would manually fix my hours, however, I was authorized to input my associate number in the cash register and process transactions. As a result of this, I worked off the clock more than once and whether an employer is encouraging or overlooking off-the-clock work, it is illegal. Employees may file a complaint with the Department of Labor or a lawsuit for unpaid wages under the Fair Labor Standards Act. I was reassured that my manager would accurately reflect my clock-in times and my clock-out times and not given a break at least once even though I worked for more than six hours continuously. Usually I was scheduled to work from 6:30 PM to 12:00 AM or from 7:00 PM to 12:00 AM. I assumed that I would be able to leave at or a bit past 12:00 AM but I was sadly mistaken. The doors were locked at 11:30 PM and I was not allowed to leave until 1:00 AM or even past 1:30 AM. I asked my manager if I could leave the first time this happened and my ride was waiting for me and she was baffled as to why I would think I was leaving before 1:30 AM. This combined with no break was beyond physically exhausting.

I did contact Christine Hatch, Senior Representative, HR Services about my shift hour and break concerns at Christine.[protected]@ros.com, and she seemed very interested in the matter and told me that it would be resolved under her investigation. I resigned and was told that I could pick up my paycheck on Thursday, July 12, 2018, 2:08 PM. I was relieved and picked up my check on Monday, July 16, 2018 and deposited it on July 28, 2018 but was charged a returned deposit fee on July 30, 2018. The reason for the check being returned is that a "stop payment" was placed on my paycheck.

I called my store and was reprimanded for picking up the "wrong check" that I was handed to in the first place by the store manager Miriam. When I received the call to pick up my check on July 12, 2018, 2:08 PM, I specifically asked the manager Nicole what the protocol was for picking up checks and she told me to simply go to register #1 and ask for my check, which is exactly what I did. Now, on August 1, 2018 I was told that it was my fault completely for not going to the back and getting paid correctly. She claimed that she called me and told me, but in actuality she called me on July 17, 2018 at 11:48 AM and asked me if I was ever going to pick up my check and I responded by telling her that I had picked it up the day prior to that and she left it at that. The call only lasted 51 seconds.

I went to the store and was berated once again for being so foolish and doing exactly what I was told to do on the phone: going to cash register #1 and asking for my check. I spoke to manager Veronica and she asked me if I had proof and I showed her the pay statement from the check and the bank message saying that it had been issued a "stop payment", returned, and that I was charged a fee of $12 for it. She continued to scold me and eventually went to the back of the store to speak to the store manager Miriam. A few minutes later I was hastily told to sign petty cash temporary pay stubs and handed a stack of mainly five dollar and one dollar bills. Before signing the sheets I reminded Veronica about the $12 fee I was issued and she asked me if I had "proof" again which I did. I showed her the copy I had of the check I was given and the message I was sent by Wells Fargo. She acknowledged the verification and said that it was fine and that it would be dealt with after I received payment for the hours I worked. As soon as I finished signing the sheets and was given the cash, I was asked to leave. Once again I reminded Veronica of the $12 fee and she said that it was not her problem and that I would have to "go to corporate payroll for that".

I contacted Christine Hatch, Senior Representative, HR Services about my concern again at Christine.[protected]@ros.com as she was the person who assisted me before, but she referred me to [protected]@ros.com [protected]. I sent an email which has not been acknowledged, and called. The woman on the phone told me to send in evidence of the return deposit fee at [protected] or pr.[protected]@ros.com and I sent in verification to both but have yet to receive a response or even acknowledgment of it being received.

Ja