Ross Dress For Less - Ross Stores Inc. / unfair labor paractices

5660 So. Redwood Rd.Taylorsville, UT, United States Review updated:
4.45
Phone: 801-966-6614
Discrimination against age and race of employee. Of Russian origin and over 40 years of age, this store mistreated my wife terribly. She was required to sift through garbage to retrieve hangers, which were then used to hang clothing on without any cleaning being done.
She was sent home for wearing jeans one day. Later a young Caucasian female was hired and was made a manager – with pierced lip with ring in it, visible tattoos, (against company policy) and she often wore clothing not allowed by company policy, yet she was not required to go home and change this as my wife was.
Now she has been fired because she was helping the wrong section of the store get ready for closing after hours… She finished her area in the fitting room and was helping in men’s clothing while the manager was there yelling at the employees to finish by 10:30 or she would cut their hours… Just an ignorant manager trying to get people to perform with threats – this is uncalled for and unacceptable. This store hired 16 new employees and after one week 13 had quit… This is a management problem, not a problem with employees – and it starts at the top with the corporate offices.
This store unfairly uses most all employees as “part time” even though they are short of enough employees to serve their needs. My wife requested more hours but was refused because Ross Stores Inc. takes unfair advantage of certain laws regarding part time employees. The purposely restrict hours to less than 40 to take advantage of the part time laws and overwork their employees.
Recently a woman working in their stock room DIED – was taken by ambulance from work and died a few days later in the hospital from heart problems.
They refuse to give employees breaks and often refuse to give lunch time. They do not even make provisions for employees to use the rest room. My wife worked at the fitting room and was told to not leave her post unless she got a replacement – when she called for a replacement the call was ignored.
Fear is used against employees as an incentive to work. If you do not perform miracles, you will be fired and get a poor job recommendation. This is very unfair stress on employees.
There are good reasons that these stores have many customer complaints – too much work for too few employees who are refused hours so that the big corporate offices can rake in more profits. Customers should put the pressure where it should be placed – complain to the managers about their management of the stores, not to the poor employees who do all they can. Then complain directly to the corporate offices – to those money hungry predators at the top – jerks should be put in jail for what they do to employees and for manipulating the laws concerning part time employees.
Many companies are now manipulating the laws of part time employees, refusing to give them full time employment to save the almighty dollar. My wife consistently worked 38 hours a week and was refused full time even though they were short of workers.
I suggest that people refuse to do business with these stores – pay a few dollars more to shop where employees are not treated like animals. You will find that customers are also treated better in the other stores.

Comments

Ja
  17th of Nov, 2010
I can't agree with your comment more. I hope an attorney specializing in labor law will finally come to our rescue. I am not an employee, I am embarrassed to say that I shop at Ross.
I have complained time and time again to management, to the district office, have called Cal-Osha etc. I have taken pictures of lines that were thirty+ deep: ONE LINE!!! I have seen isles littered with shoes, toys, pillows, and believe it or not, a scate board blocking walk ways. Furniture section and shelving completely destroyed, un organized on a daily basis. I have watched security say, "Have a nice evening" to two women who had just walked out with merchandise that was not paid for. I have seen managers constantly ignore calls for help. I have been told by one employee that they don't get over time even when they are owed it. I see children on roller blades skating in the store, as well as very small children standing up on the top part of the cart when they should be sitting down. I believe Ross stores discriminate against women and minorities as well as the lower economic families who work there and shop there. I believe this is true because they are the ones who shop at Ross most often. I have contacted CAOSHA here in Sonoma Co. CA. and they said it wasn't their problem and didn't know who's it was. They wrote a letter to the Rohnert Park Store in Sonoma Co. CA and their representative denied my accusation. CAL OSHA did not go in and investigate this because like the deputy told me, it wasn't their problem.
I am going to start taking pictures and posting them where ever I can. I am also going to contact the labor board and find out who is responsible for making Ross Stores clean up their act.
It is the most depressing store I have ever been in. I see all the older ladies working their fingers to the bone, lines as long as the building is deep, calling for help, nobody responding. I have told the district manager that shopping at Ross makes me feel bad because they are always understaffed and the employees are being abused.
They stores I am referring to are in Northern California. The worst ones are: NOVATO ROSS, PETALUMA ROSS AND ROHNERT PARK ROSS. I am told that this is one single district, and I am not surprised. All of these stores are always under staffed and the employee turn over is unbelievable. Which makes me believe that Ross is deliberately causing people to quit to avoid paying any kind of bennifits.
I am not going to be shopping there anymore.
I will be going in and taking pictures, however.
J. Tanner
Ki
  30th of Apr, 2012
It has only worsened. I work at Ross and it has become bazaar and macabre. I think they are going to kill all the older women who are the only ones left working hard and showing up. The reward for that is nothing but pressure to leave by horrid impersonal scheduling, forced by under staffing to work three jobs at once and then cleaning the whole store at close. The longer you have been there the more they try to get rid of you, costing them more an hour from a worker's tiny yearly raises and they can get paid by the State to replace you with ex-cons, special ed and special needs associates who frankly cause everyone extra work. I work the Fitting room and on a busy Sunday with our extended hours open until 9:30, short staffed with no one working the floor, I am constantly processing boxes of underwear for the backed up stockroom, straightening the toy area, pet area, bra & panty area, glassware, even as far as juniors tops with non-stop people fuxing in and out of the fitting rooms, never missing hanging the 1 - 8 items on the bar to 'count' them. l then was left to pick the whole place up with just an assistant manager and two prima donna head cashiers who specialize in non-essential busy work while the floor worker[s] break our balls in double time trying to make the place perfect after cleaning & working hard all day long.
I hurt so much, all the time, I can no longer sleep and am in a constant state of exhaustion. I wake up all night long with leg pains and knots forming in my calves. They took our cushioning floor mat away last year, because it looked messy, so there seems no getting used to the constant hardness of the floor.
Almost everyone is part-time and that means at times locking us into no more than 12 hours a week scheduled, to then be available 12 hours a day/night, 7 days a week for call-ins. You never know your next weeks schedule until usually Thursday, so there is never a chance to ever make appointments or ever go away or frankly to do anything. Days off are purely recovery days, you just lie in shock. The specialty treatment for some is astounding, building our schedules as disoriented leftovers after friends are catered to. The amount of accidents is also astounding and come from unsafe conditions and being over worked. We have 4 out of 5 managers severely hurt, long term.
Ross is a prime example of corporate greed and unashamed to follow the Walmart example of how to abuse their work force, giving no benefits or bonus, no usable healthcare, no regular days or schedules, open abuse by customers treating their workers like criminals while we see people steal all day while they do nothing; a lawless land catering to cashing out all the funds accumulated by illegal immigrants who destroy the store daily with total disregard. Not to mention the abandoned masses of undomesticated children swarming the store daily and nightly. I fear for America's future.
Nt
  18th of Jun, 2013
i worked at this store and I was part of management between July 2006-Nov 2009. I totally agree with everything that exrossemployee has said. They work their employees to the ground. I would always take over for employees for lunch and breaks because I believe that if you make your employees feel value that you will get rewarded. I know exactly which manager you are taking about because I ended up transferring stores in 2009 because I could not handle the management. They got a new store manager in 2009 and she was a monster. Constantly telling her employees "there's the door if you're not happy" the work you have to do for min. wage is not fair for the amount of work they expect you to do. I am very sorry that this has happened and I hope someone has contacted you in regards to this. I left company in 2010 because the managers they choose to run their stores are heartless. I am much happier when I am now.

Ross Dress for Less Logo Ross Dress for Less