Roomstore / Delivery Fee

Essex, MD, United States Review updated:

How insane! I recently purchased a living room set from The Roomstore, had it delivered, it didn't fit through my front door so I was forced to refuse the set. They asked if I wanted to pick something else out, I said no. I canceled it altogether. Now I'm, being charged a delivery fee for something I never received! I called the bank, the store, customer service - no one gave me an answer, they said it was "policy". I never signed ANYTHING stating that could/would happen. And nothing like that is on the website or in the packet that came along with it. THERE IS NO WRITTEN DOCUMENT STATING THEY CAN CHARGE A DELIVERY FEE IF PRODUCT IS RETURNED. I believe that is called ILLEGAL and thankfully my attorney agrees!

Comments

• Sc
      4th of May, 2010

You did receive it, you just refused it. And they did deliver what you ordered, it is on you to verify dimensions prior to ordering. Because you failed to do so, you want them to eat the cost of bringing it to you? You will not win your 'case' because it lacks merit. You should be happy they didn't charge you the 10% restocking fee that their TOA allow.

Here's why both you and your attorney are wrong:

What if I'm unhappy with my purchase?

If you wish to return your purchase after receiving it, you must contact our Online Customer Service Department at (877) 727-6695no later than 5PM 48 hours after you receive your furniture. The furniture must be picked up in excellent condition. A 10% restocking fee will be charged. No credits in any case will be given for delivery charges, protections or used bedding.

It clearly states you will be charged delivery fees regardless. You agreed to their TOA by ordering. Tough lesson, but you will have to live with it.

• Jg
      4th of May, 2010

The latter is contingent on the former: "If you wish to return your purchase AFTER RECEIVING IT..." Hmm...I never received it. "Receive" means to acquire; to have. I have no furniture from The Roomstore in my home. I do not pay.

• Tj
      4th of May, 2010

My name is Terri Jobe and I am the Director of Customer Loyalty for RoomStore. Please contact me at [protected]@roomstore.com. I have some options to assist you.

• Sc
      4th of May, 2010

Receive can also mean" to deliver", thereby giving this company a legal loophole. If you don't want help say so in your complaint, that way people that have something to say will just backspace their way away from you. Or you can try to be less condescending in your responses, either way, you still got lucky.

dictionary.com:

re·ceive   /rɪˈsiv/ Show Spelled [ri-seev] Show IPA verb, -ceived, -ceiv·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1.to take into one's possession (something offered or delivered): to receive many gifts.
    2.to have (something) bestowed, conferred, etc.: to receive an honorary degree.
    3.to have delivered or brought to one: to receive a letter.