Roomster.net / help us get off this site

I have tried to email and go on-line through the internet to find a number or address to let this company know that I am not interested in becoming a member or giving them money for doing nothing. I visited their site one time last week and saw nothing of interest (After having to register my name and email first).

Help us get off this site. This site is a rip-off...

Thanks,
Aleda visingardiano

Comments

• St
      19th of Jan, 2008

First, they make their money direct debiting your account. They hide the direct debit in the terms and condition and on a side note. If really they wanted to be honest about it, they would make one tick a box authorizing the direct debit. I am sure I am not the only one they ripped off that way. The problem is that, even tough it is not obvious, it is in the terms and conditions.
    Secondly, it is also far than obvious on how to stop your membership. It makes one lose time to find out (calling, emailing their customer service,...) and then, they withdraw your account and it is too late.
    Thirdly, this company has no telephone number, just an automatic voice mail directing you to the site.

Finally, the website is not really good. Look into something else to find a room mate!

It would be good to know if it has happened to other people to group together.

19th of Jan, 2008

On the FAQ, #1, it states the charging policy, and recurring fees.

19th of Jan, 2008

Hi, I am Stella, the person who wrote the previous complaint.
    I have found this other complaint on my3cents.com dated 2.16.07:

I signed up with roomster.com to contact potential renters. Because I didn't read closely enough their agreement I thought they were going to charge me $4.95 per month. I found out that they charged $39 per month. When I discoverd this I went back and reread their contract - cancelled my account via email.

I thought, oh well I screwed up. Next month I found another $39 charge on my credit card and immediately I tried to call roomster, but they have no 800 phone, nor do they respond to emails. I wrote a dispute letter to the company -Juniper .com,. my credit card, to stop payment. Juniper refused to stop payment even though I explained that I could not contact roomster. Roomster provided me no service during either of these months and did not stop billing me. As far as I am concerned they are completely unethical in not providing any customer service number, or telephone number of any kind on their website.

• Do
      8th of Dec, 2017

@Stella Same thing happened to me. I cancelled and they continued to charge me because they said I didn't cancel it, that I just deleted my listing. What's the point of having a subscription when you don't have a listing? Anyway, I filed a COMPLAINT WITH THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION. I hope they can do something about it to bring this company down.

OTHER COMPLAINTS & SUGGESTED SOLUTIONS FOUND ON www.roomster.com

Hugh_Jorgen (02/16/2007)
    Couldn't you tell from the cheesy look of their site that perhaps they weren't above board? FWIW, their domain is registered out of Luxembourg. Any way, you need to file a written complaint with your bank telling them you did not receive the service you paid for and you dispute the charge. You might also have to cancel that card and get a new one to avoid their repetative billing.

adage (05/28/2007)
    Thank you for your review. I tried roomster.net at the end of 2005. I contacted multiple people on the site and got no response. My conclusion was they didn't have enough of a database for the roommate matching to be successful. Like you, I contacted customer service for a refund. No response. I posted a review of my experience on amazon. THEN John S. Shriber the company owner, started sending a series of very unpleasant and nasty emails to me. He offered a refund only if I took out my amazon review, which I did, and that mostly because the guy sounded so unstable that I was afraid of what he'd do with my credit card information. Don't use roomster.

Look at:

• Ed
      6th of Feb, 2008

I also disputed this hidden renewal amount. I have immediately canceled the account and will probably cancel my card just to make sure these crooks don't stike twice. I wish there was a way to take them off the web. These guys are pretty slick with a phone number in New York. No actual person to speak to.

7th of Feb, 2008

1.The subscription policy is stated on several pages on the Roomster site

2.You are told when your subscription is going to berenewed, so that you can end your subscription before a new billing cycle begins.

3.You can cancel billing at any time, and receive full access until your paid period is up.

3. You are required to check off on the terms of use TWICE in order to create an account with us.

The subscription policy is stated on all these pages:
    a)terms of use
    b)credit card page
    c)my account page
    d)help page

• Ki
      19th of Feb, 2008

So I agree with everything above, and how about this...they tried to charge me the renewal fee THREE times when I've only used this service for a month!! They's a big time scam. I cancelled immediately after I found this out as I was only expecting the original $5.95 charge, and my bank said if they posted again, they would dispute it and make sure that it gets taken of my account. I am so furious with roomster.net right now. i will never use that site again, and I'm going to tell everyone not to use it. I hope they go out of business.

• Me
      28th of Feb, 2008

So you're telling me, they don't refund the [censored]ing money? How dare they? They know DAMN WELL that if its hidden in all the fine print that people are going to miss that. Since when is it EVER ok to just start taking money out of people's account. How about when people are emailing and contacting roomster to try and get the charges stopped and not the website not listening? That's bull, and that is not allowed ANYWHERE.
    James Swanson, you know whats that called? It's called theft. Stealing. You are doing nothing but stealing, and don't even try to justify it with your stupid little fine print. When people sign up on the website, they opt to pay for a certain time and amount. What makes it ok to just keep taking?

I'm so pissed right now.

• El
      7th of Mar, 2008

I also had a horrible experience with Roomster, and now I had to cancel my card and get a new one.......don't use this site, ........
    They are so fraudulent, they never in one week provided me with service, could not contact anyone, nor did anyone contact me!
    3 days after I paid them 14.99 they charged me again 29.99!

24th of Mar, 2008

I'll be filing a small claims suit in Los Angeles Superior Court against roomster this week. Anyone care to join me in a class action suit? I am certain I could find an attorney just a few blocks away by the name of David who would be thrilled to handle it.

24th of Mar, 2008

Oh, yes, and I seem to recall that the one and only response I got from a roomster member was someone wanting to send me a cashier's check for $4, 000 from which I was to deduct the deposit and first month's rent, then send the balance by Western Union to her travel agent so that she could pay for her ticket to LA. That, by the way, folks, is a very well known con game. The cashier's check is counterfeit and the wire transfer irretrievable, very much like Roomster's con game of a purportedly irretrievable automatic withdrawal based upon the fine print hidden below the line in a terms of use agreement, if it's there at all! I have no doubt that their methods will not hold up in court, and that a lawsuit will bring them the hell they deserve. ALL this leads me to believe that the "good" folks at Roomster are the source of this very contemptuous counterfeit cashier's check/western union con. Let's throw their ### in JAIL!!!

2nd of Apr, 2008

Swanson, you CANNOT cancel billing at any time. I mean, you can, but they'll still end up billing you anyway.

In my case, when I go to cancel the subscription it either falsely tells me that is has succeeded [the charges suggest otherwise], or that the request cannot be processed. I've opened claims with BBB and PayPal so far, but PayPal already denied the movement. I sent in more information and am waiting to hear back from them again.

Also, there HelpDesk had this odd habit of not working at all until I sent a notification that I had filed a report with the BBB. Suddenly, it worked. And no one responds to their listed e-mail.

I'm also considering of opening a claim if they keep this up.

2nd of Jul, 2008

For me it isn't any different, they charged me double in less than 2 days and now i have to wait to have that money charged off my account to follow a despute on this issue.

• Tr
      4th of Jul, 2008

Aaaaaah these people got me, I wish I had seen this prior to giving them my Info...They have got me for 60 dollars aready...They need to be thrown in jail...This pisses me off!

• Tr
      4th of Jul, 2008

I might have found a point of contact.

Phone number listed its
    917-825-1635

15th of Jul, 2008

this is a communication i had with the "help desk." needless to say, it shows how much they really give a ###. start from the bottom and go up (ull notice the last thing they said to me seemed much more like a personal attack cause i got around their stupid system).

Jul 15, 2008 at 01:04 PM

Help & Support:
    its obvious to me ur service is useless. u have every right to take that stuff out if u want. the popular toms space thing should be ok, cause its a riddle and not everyone knows what that means. u cant take a riddle out. but if u wanna cancel my account, give me my money back now and then cancel my account. i dont care.
    Jul 15, 2008 at 01:00 PM

RE: Help & Support:
    the last time you used us you canceled before the renewal. you also violated our terms of use "!!!ajrm21 AT HOTestMAIL!!! search alejandromatos21 on the "

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Help & Support:
    see, the fact that i canceled it within a very short period of time after the 3 days were up should show u people i had no need for it after that. besides the fact that i was at work during that 5 hrs period, i dont want to pay for a whole month of service i wont be using and u people should care a bit more about reputation cause now u seem like money-hungry ### who refuse to work with their clients. i can post this whole conversation across the internet and when ur name gets googled, this opinion will pop up. along with ur website. wouldnt u want it to be a good opinion instead of a bad one? isnt that obvious marketing? help desk... yeah right.
    Jul 15, 2008 at 12:41 PM

RE: Help & Support:

The information below is available for your records and may also be available to your financial institution upon request.

On two separate occasions you had agreed to the Terms of Use: on 6/8/2008 6:14:44 PM EST on the Registration Page (see screenshot #1) and on 7/7/2008 6:17:57 PM EST on the Payment Page (see screenshot #2) where you were informed that your roomster.net subscription would continue and be automatically renewed until canceled by you. It also shows the renewal rates for the packages available to you on 7/7/2008 6:17:57 PM EST.

All Sales are final and all Roomster.net accounts can only be closed by the account holder through the procedure described above. We do not accept cancellations by e-mail.
    Jul 15, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Help & Support:
    im disputing the charge. i wont let it go through. its ###.
    Jul 11, 2008 at 05:13 PM

Help & Support:
    yeah, i noticed that ur time is in EST. thats what i got confused about. but that 29.95 is NOT going to be put through, correct? i just need a straight answer like "no, that 29.95 is not going to be charged to ur credit card and u wont see any charges from our site." itll put me at ease and id appreciate it.
    Jul 11, 2008 at 05:06 PM

RE: Help & Support:

No credit is due. Our records show that you canceled your premium membership AFTER the scheduled renewal.

You can view your billing history by clicking here.

We state on your billing history page when your subscription is being renewed, so that you can end your subscription before a new billing cycle begins. You were required to check off on the terms of use TWICE in order to create an account with us. The subscription policy is stated on all these pages:
    1.terms of use
    2.credit card page
    3.my account page
    4.help page
    Jul 11, 2008 at 05:05 PM

Billing:
    am i going to be charged the 29.95 for these next 30 days? thats the question left. i dont wanna see any incurred charges relating to this stie on my card.
    Jul 11, 2008 at 04:59 PM

RE: Help & Support:
    you can view your login and activity on your billing history page.

You can view your billing history by clicking here.
    Jul 11, 2008 at 04:48 PM

Billing:
    id still like to know why it didnt cancel last night when i canceled it. i had to recancel it just 5 or 10 mins ago. why didnt it work before? it still hasnt, either. i can still go into my message box and my homepage says full access.
    Jul 11, 2008 at 04:46 PM

RE: Help & Support:

You have successfully canceled your premium membership. All future billing has ended. You can view your billing history by clicking here. Thank you.
    Jul 11, 2008 at 04:43 PM

Billing:
    i canceled my premium membership last night at 11:30pm, but it still says i have full access and now i see a temp authorization from u guys on my credit card. why? i canceled it before the 3 days were up. i want that transaction to be stopped.
    Jul 07, 2008 at 06:17 PM

RE: Help & Support:
    We are working on a new version and we do take our customers feedback very seriously, Our next release has a much improved interface for handling move/move in dates.
    Jul 07, 2008 at 05:56 PM

Help & Support:
    it doesnt make sense... so im gonna be forced to make it look like i have more time than i do... which means ill be misleading everyone im trying to room with. how does that make sense? it seems like much more of a marketing tactic to give people the impression that there are more people around here than there really is than a bad coding idea.
    Jul 07, 2008 at 05:47 PM

RE: Help & Support:
    Although maybe not the best system (and we are working on a new version). this is how we make sure that all profiles on Roomster are truly active. Neither one of us wants stay content on Roomster.
    Jul 07, 2008 at 05:44 PM

Help & Support:
    every time i log in, im being forced to push my move-in date to be at least 2 weeks away... WHY?! my date is set and thats all there is to it. why wont it allow me to just continue on with only a week left to go?

11th of Aug, 2008

I haven't looked into it yet but I would certainly like to pursue some form of class action lawsuit regarding Roomster.net eMusic.com and any other eBiz that makes substantial funds from automatic renewals. I believe these companies are intentionally doing this to generate "free money" without providing any services or goods. Furthermore Roomster.net, specifically, does not provide the applicant with a means to "OPT OUT" of the automatic renewal/upgrade feature which I'm sure has to have some legal significance. Please let me know if anyone is already underway with a class action because I believe both websites Roomster.net and eMusic.com are ripe for a lawsuit for their transactional practices.

Oh, by the way I have screen copies of what they claim to be sufficient notice. I'm in the state of VA.

• Jr
      2nd of Oct, 2008

I've found that this is a common complaint with most roommate sites, even if they are something of an improvement on the scams that the old "roommate finding services" were.

I read an article the other day about a new website (RentSelect.com) which launched recently which offers not only free roommate ads but also doesn't charge roommates to contact each other (essentially doing what Roomster.net charges for but for free).

I checked them out and while they do not have a lot of ads on there yet (probably because they are so new), it looks pretty well put together and once people start putting up profiles, it will be pretty awesome.

• Nd
      6th of Mar, 2010

The problem is that it will not stop there; they will continue withdrawing money from your credit card unless you declare your card lost or stolen as I did. Roomster says that in order to stop the payment you need to cancel the subscription from your roomster account but there is no tab on your personal account to do so. There is a section where you can disable your account but they will still take money from your account every month. So I suggest you to cancel your credit card so they will issue a new card number for you and roomster will not have authorization to withdraw money from your account anymore. I know it is a nuisance to do so but it is the only way to stop them. I really wish someone will take legal action against them soon or later. In the mean time one way to revenge is to open a new FREE account with roomster and to use their GIVE A SHOUT to the other member warning everyone about the danger of giving roomster their credit card number. I have done so and I have warned about 10.000 around the world about this scam, but finally romster banned me from accessing their web site. So I decided to find a way around it and I downloaded a software to hide my IP address (you can do the same by following this link http://www.hide-ip-soft.com/download.htm ). Now I can access roomster.com again to continue my warning campaign. I hope that many people will follow my suit so roomster will have no choice but to actually go and get a real job to make a living as many of us do instead of stealing from honest people