Romney Pest Control / Dishonest business practices

United States Review updated:

I started service (Romney solicited me by knocking on my door)and the first two months were ok. Then I decided to change my payment method. I requested to be billed instead or debit from an account that I closed. They apparently were not knowlegeble to handle this change. They continued to bill my card causing to overdraft. After multiple attempts to address the situation, I decided to cancel my service. The billed me for the rest of the contract. I paid $70.00 and I received another billed for another $70.00. I called them and they said they did not receive the payment. So I paid again with a debit card over the phone. Short time later, I noticed the bank paid the check, they claimed they did not received. Romney pest control has no ethic and is BAD business. They are thieves. Beware of this business.

Ji

Comments

• Wa
      15th of Jun, 2010

THEY ARE DISHONEST AND SHADY! I signed up for their service in Grand Prairie and I'm very frustrated. They SCAMMED me! I gave them my credit card number and someone in their area went on a shopping spree with it on Christmas day. To add insult to injury, I was out of town and they picked a Friday, left a voice mail message they are coming out for service and showed up without notice apparently using the voice mail as sufficient notification. When I got home there was another bill taped to the door. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and signed their lengthy (fine print) contract. I got scammed because the sales person represented the price of $87.00 for the entire year service with 7 visits. Later I find out that it's $87.00 per visit (which turns out to be $609.00 for the 7 visits) and the only way out of the contract is to pay your way out which they don't disclose until you have been pushed around for a year. When I complain they only refer to the contract. I looked at the BBB and they have 20 complaints filed. Mine will be the 21st.

26th of Aug, 2010

You really thought it was $87 for a full year? Just do a price comparison--they are competitive for the services offered.

31st of Aug, 2010

Romney Pest Control. Do Not Use - They use unethical business practices.

I signed up for a one (1) year contract when they solicited my while going door to door in my neighborhood. I was not completely satisfied with the service, but honored my contract. When the year contract was satisfied, I figured that there was nothing else I need do. Several months later they called and left a message on my cell phone saying that they had scheduled me for a treatment the following Monday. I called them back and left a message saying that I no longer wanted their services and NOT to come and treat my property. When I returned home from work, I found an invoice stuck to my front door charging me for a treatment. And, since they were not able to come into my home, just did the outside for the full price. Apparently, just like Waiting to Sue, they think using a voice mail message is sufficient notification. Yet when the consumer does the same, they conveniently can't find the message.

When I called this morning to complain, they informed me that they never received my message and therefore, would be liable for the payment. Basically, they accused my of lying about the message, just because they couldn't "find" it. Really??!! Since I am an honest person, I will pay them for their services and have asked them to return to finish the inside treatment, but I plan on filing a complaint with the BBB.

AGAIN, DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE.

• Sr
      6th of Sep, 2010

Angry in Allen,

My complaint is identical to yours, almost same story. My wife and I have tried contacting the home office in Dallas only to get referred back the the manager in San Antonio. We are filling a complaint with the BBB also. I have already informed friends in my neighborhood to stay away from Romney.

• Pa
      20th of Oct, 2010

The first time that Romney Pest Control visited my house they sent a guy that didn't know what he was doing and ended up killing my wife plans at front of the house so that started bad.

Next, several weeks went by and I saw that the bees, spiders, ants and everything else were still around the house so I called and they said not to worry that they would send a person to take care of it. This was around June, the lady said that this visit was without charge and that I still had one more visit in July. For my surprised, I was contacted recently and found out that July was not part of my previous visit as stated by phone but that they actually want and continue to want to charge me for the service in July and the following quarter.

Since, I have received several calls and they continue to charge me, for what to me is unfair. $107.04 is nothing but their gesture and the fact that I was deceived to just carry me on to the following quarter has a lot to say about this company. I would not recommend this company nor go back again.

9th of Nov, 2010

The have done a great job for me. Had service for over 4 years now.

• Kr
      24th of Jan, 2011

I signed up with Romney and made it clear they were NOT to enter my backyard without contacting me first at the front door because I have 2 adult Rottweilers who will maul their employees if they enter without me. Thankfully neither Rottweiler was outside when they came because the ONLY time they knocked on the front door was the 1st visit when they half-way sprayed the interior of the home. I complained numerous times and it did no good. Thus, I had to keep them inside most of the time because I don't want anyone hurt and I don't want to hire an attorney.

Many times they show up on rainy days - when their countermeasures are no good whatsoever - and they bill you whether they can do their job or not and, of course, if they can't you pay for nothing because they won't be out until next month.

I called to complain again because this time the dogs weren't outside but they almost broke my bedroom window snarling at the Romney employee as he entered so I ran outside to meet him and escort him through the property and this careless individual SPREAD POISON IN MY DOG'S WATER BOWL!!!

Thankfully I saw him do it because had I not I'd have 2 dead dogs but he sure as heck didn't notice and didn't seem to give a flip what he did when I said something. I called to complain and the lady told me my contract was up and I could cancel. So I did and told them how my being present avoided the deaths of my dogs and a lawsuit. Now, I have a collection agency calling me for over $100 I "owe" them and I have half a mind to subpoena their documents in small claims court.

Class action lawsuit? I'm game.

• Cd
      3rd of Feb, 2011

I signed a 1 year contract with Romney and they completed 3 services however, the last 2 were incomplete (which I paid in full) as they did not spray the back yard.
    Since I was killing ants myself, I decided to cancel the contract for underperformance but they decided that I should honor it and I received a bill for cancellation of their services. I refused to pay, talked to them many times and even do they were aware of the incomplete service, they decided to send the bill to a collection company claiming that they did not know that my back yard was not serviced and that I should honor the contract as signed.
    I am very unhappy, so I filed a complaint with BBB, hoping to resolve this issue. By the way their rating with BBB is D which is just one step above F.

8th of Feb, 2011

They do a good job for us. No complaints here!

• Pe
      2nd of Jun, 2011

Y'all complaining are idiots and simply need to read the contract before you sign. We have romney and love them.

11th of Jun, 2011

We have used Romney for years with no problems. Twice we had infestations (we live near wooded acres) and they came out multiple times without additional charge to resolve the issues. Just would like to "balance the scales" in their favor.

• Ms
      3rd of Nov, 2011

I recently found my laptop computer was missing after a tech had been inside my home. Any others have anything missing?

• Bi
      10th of Feb, 2012

Romney Pest Control Is the most Shadiest Business I have ever encountered in all my Life. Their sales kid came knocking at my door last summer after harnessing my kids, he looked like a Pervert. I think he told me his name was Greg or Craig. (Please be aware of this guy) Anyways, This Company has the most disrespectful customer service I have ever dealt with in my life. After calling them for issues which they promised the would get rid of.( which they were not able to do of course.) I had wasps and spiders on the outside of my home, these IDIOTS weren't even able to get rid of them after 4 retreats in 2 months. And when I called them to complain about this problem which I am paying $426 a year for them to get rid of, their stupid secretary gives me the worst attitude, and then hangs up on me. I was appalled by her blatant DISRESPECT for a CUSTOMER. Who is paying her damn bills. For any of you considering A pest control company, please DO NOT USE ROMNEY PEST CONTROL. Unless you want to pay more, get treated like ###, and be lied to by their sales reps.

• Bi
      10th of Feb, 2012

Oh and have things stollen from your home by their tech. DO NOT USE ROMNEY!!!

• Fr
      9th of May, 2012

The San Antonio branch has treated us very well for the last 3 years. Maybe you had a bad tech. Very nice people have helped me on the phone and very nice people have serviced my house. I can say I have had no problems with them and have had issues with other companies!

• Mb
      20th of May, 2012

In agreement with other comments, Romney Pest Control, does not deliver what they advertise. I changed from another pest control service to Romney because they promised to provide a better service. One month after the first treatment I noticed an INCREASE of pests in and around my home. Three months later my entire family was complaining of spiders, ants, and numerous other pests in the house. I called Romney to cancel the service and to get a refund because the service they promised was not delivered. They would not refund my money. I canceled their service anyhow and signed up with a new service. I now have no pests in or around my house anymore. I would not recommend Romney Pest Control to anyone.

• Ha
      24th of May, 2012

Romney pest control is a great, trust worthy business. They aren't scammers, our salesman was a really nice kid who pointed out a lot of problems that were on my front porch alone. When I signed up, the guy explained everything to me. He wasn't trying to screw me over and he answered all of my concerns. Our technician who came out the first time was great and treated our house for about 40 minutes. After he left, we didn't see ANYTHING wrong, no nests, spiders, or ants. Our house is completely pest-free. Oh and by the way, they don't "harness" your children. If your children are being harnessed my a salesmen, keep a better eye on them.

7th of Jul, 2012

Sorry to see my company up on this thing. I had a complaint about another company and saw this and wanted to set the record straight. We started service by a young man knocking doors 4 years ago and have had great service. Romney Pest Control always takes care of the problems we see and the office staff with Zi and Matt have been very helpful. All technicians we have had are trustworthy and helpful. We recommend them to all our friends in the city of Schertz.

• Ha
      16th of Jul, 2012

THIS COMPANY IS AWESOME!!! Not only do I have 2 houses that they service, I have referred my mother, my brother and my neighbor to them. Those other posts are all BS! I know most of the techinician now and all of the office staff. I can vouch for them!

• Lo
      23rd of Jul, 2012

Haven't started the service yet... all the above really scares me...
    BUT wish you folks would tell us where you live... Maybe the Irving office is bung, or maybe the San Antonio office is bad.
    Maybe it's just one small office that's causing all this BAD PRESS / REPUTATION...
    Sure would be A WHOLE LOT MORE HELPFUL HERE TO KNOW WHERE YOU ALL LIVED...!!!
    Thanks for listening...
    BTW: Just got the sales pitch for my: 3, 200 SQ FT HSE - First TREATMENT $75 then $95 each quarter after that.. Seems reasonable and straight-foreward. Pleasant guy (TYLER) stopped by - knowledgeable too...
    Biut I need to be sure that the product they use ( DEMAND CS ) is VERY SAFE.

• Ro
      10th of Jun, 2013

I manage the branch here in the San Antonio area and have seen far more positive reviews then negative. Remember, with any service you use, there is always room for improvement and we try diligently to do just that. But please take into consideration that here in the San Antonio and Austin areas we have treated over 9400 houses!!! We have made mistakes. I apologize again to any we have offended. But by and large we have made thousands of customers happy. In the Dallas area I would guess they have serviced almost close to double our number. If there are any unresolved, legitimate issues, call and ask for me personally. We will continue to do our best to try and serve our very happy customer base.

Matt Sherrill
    210-566-7378

• Fr
      2nd of Oct, 2013

I have been using Romney at my house for two years now after a salesman came to my door and explained the service. I signed up and have been more than happy with their service. I have noticed they the do a very good job and a whole lot more than the company I had before and the spiders are no longer around. They call me to scheduled my service with me every time. I have recommended to alott of my neighbors and they are now using Romney and we are all very happy! So I would definitely refer them.

22nd of Mar, 2016

I've had them for almost a year now, they have been nothing but helpful to me. If there was an issue with the service they were very polite and worked with me in everyday to help resolve the issue. Will most likely sign up with them again. Sorry to hear a lot of you have had trouble with them. A lot of my neighbors use them and they're satisfied as well. I'm in Mckinney.

• Ro
      20th of Jul, 2018

7/20/2018 Got scammed by Romney Pest service for 119.00 by 4 visits = or total of 129 after tax =516.00 The sales Person told a 86 year old homeowner that they would spray around her home and 30 ft. of her yard for a one time fee of just 119.00 plus the sales tax. Here in the City of Garland (Dallas County) The City requires all door to door sales to fill their companies to get a required permit which is a law . Number 2 this so called sale's person had no business card with the company name which should have on a business card there State License Number on it. My mother give her credit card info to the person but didn't sign any contract so the sales person sign it which by large is against the law. Credit Card Company contacted card holder asap and stop Romney Pest Services for up to one year of taking anything out. We didn't have to ask for a new card. Sales Person said out loud A ONE TIME FEE ONLY . It's a scam to lie and charge for more than once. Everything they do is by Computer Tablet No paperwork and No details listed by Company. cancel contract is 80% of the Total fee signed up for . That's a Scam!!!... Because that sales person missed the Requirements by 3 . Not show State License Number 2 City Permit and 3 not getting the Home Owner and or Card Holder to sign . They Strike Out. Now they our fighting to get their 80% fees . Was contacted by the so called Company Attorney . I just him that I would turn him to the Dallas Bar Association if he makes any problems . So Beware . This Company will Scam you! If you need to spray for Bugs . Call a Professional and sit down and have a Professional Talk or go to your Local Home Store and Buy Bug Spray for your Lawn.P.S. Please go to Angel's List and Post against them there under there fasle ratings ...Thx