Rogers / third party charges

Toronto, ON, CA Review updated:

My phone bill is showing third party charges on my son's phone line from a third party (sprized.com). Rogers has allowed third party companies to text our individual lines. I believe these charges are fraudulent and Rogers should not charge people for services that they have not subscribed to. To subscribe to a service one needs to receive a an explicit message that states the cost of the service. My son has not received any such message and I do not know how his line was billed. I am now expected to cover for these charges. I believe the carrier should be responsible for services that I did not subscribe to. These charges are fraudulent and Rogers should not be allowed to get away with this.

Comments

• Sh
      May 08, 2011

I have $140 in Third party charges from Rogers. On their website there is a pop up that claims you can win a prize from Rogers--answer the question and put your cell number in the blank. I did this. Since then I have received multiple text messages with quiz type messages. I have never responded to them but now find that Rogers is paying this third party everytime they send me one of these texts. I spoke with a Rogers representative today (after being on hold for over an hour). He insisted I had subscribed to this service which I didn't and there was nothing they could do about it. He did agree to give me a $40 credit out of the goodness of his heart but would take no responsibility for the pop up on website nor the billing charges. Rogers, it seems, is making deals with scammers. I do not intend on paying these charges.

• Ok
      May 22, 2011

this happened to my daughter too. Rogers charged us 15 bucks. after we got the bill, we called Rogers, they told us exactly the same thing. and they told us how to unsbuscribe. so we did, but this months the third party fees went up to 35 bucks. We called Rogers again and tried to cancel the phone and found out we have one and half years left to go. if we cancel the plan, we have to pay $38o to Rogers! Rogers is horrible. my daughter said that she will never use rogers ever again. How can rogers possibly allow such charges?!

May 24, 2011

Same thing with me. A company called 2waytraffic billed Rogers $25 for text messages that they sent me. When I called them they cancelled my 'subscription' but would not reverse the charges. I have no recollection of signing up with these people. I can just assume that somehow their subscription process is bundled with some other service that I may have been interested in. Rogers won't reverse the charge saying that they have been billed by the service. If I don't pay that portion of the bill Rogers says that I will incur late charges and possible cancellation of my services. What a racket. I can't believe that they're allowed to do this.

How is it Rogers fault? Well whoever gave Roger the authority to accept charges on my behalf. I buy phone, tv and internet services from them. Not stupid text messages like this.
    "METQZ game! Subtitle 'Terminator3'?A:Rise of the Machines B:Judgment Day Text A or B to 88788. TnCs:METQZ.com"
    for $5.00.

May 25, 2011

I wouldn't normally associate giving my phone number as authorization to use it for the purpose of billing me for sending stupid trivia questions. Their 'subscription' process was imbedded in a sign-up process for something completely different. When I tried to clear the charges for the service Rogers would not remove them from my bill. When I spoke to '2waytraffic' they would not remove the charges. When I asked to speak to a manager they refused. They also acknowledged that I never utilized the messages they sent.

I'll probably just pay the bill as I don't have time to waste on this. However, it's left me with a bad impression of the service that Rogers provides. This has created feeling of distrust for any charges of the services they offer. I have been a customer with them for over twenty-five years. They shouldn't accept charges on my behalf, I have never authorized them to do that. This is just another money-grab by Rogers.

Appreciate your note but, let's just agree to disagree. Thanks.

May 25, 2011

Rogers should provide their customers with a means of blocking third party charges. An opt out option or something along those lines. For purchases, I use credit cards, cash or debit, not my phone number. I don't know what criteria is used to allow vendors to bill me through my phone bill but, I resent the fact that I have no recourse but to pay the charge or face endless phone calls to Rogers and the vendor which would do nothing more than create further stress. I guess that's one of the things these companies rely on.

BTW, I have one of the smart phones and receive messages in many different ways. I didn't notice the messages until I saw the charge on my bill. It was afterwards that I looked at the SMS messages and found them. Rogers should be a little more vigilant and ensure their customers are not exposed to these stupid services. Who on earth would pay five dollars for a stupid trivia question? Not me, at least knowingly.:-(

• Ne
      Jun 19, 2011

I recently experienced a fraudulent third party charge that Rogers says was authorized. I was told to contact the company that I had never heard of. I was only informed of the new billing when I received the bill. This is fraud and for Roger to allow their customers to be billed when clearly there is no authorization makes Roger an instrument and complicit in the fraud. If customers say they didn't authorise the charge, who changed the billing file? Rogers should be protecting their customers and not allow third party billing without confirmation from the customer. If that is too much work then I guess they should not have allowed third parties to bill.
    As for ellen67, I too have worked in the industry and this can be stopped. If I texted you and you answered "who is it?" your basically arguing that I now have authorization to bill you. that's crap. and that is illegal. To bill an individual for a service that they already have, Rogers should be questioning these new billing arrangements. If they are to big to care or deal with it then they deserve to be sued for negligence and fraud. I hope a class action occurs.

• Ca
      Jun 25, 2011

No matter Rogers sayss or does, they are surely involved in this scam. I am waiting for the end of my contract to run away from Rogers.

• Sr
      Jun 26, 2011

i just got nailed by some company i never heard of, a service i never heard of bills 10.. a week. Mozoot or something, called |Rogers to find out WTF. All i got was a lady telling me i have to pay it, and to contact the third party... nothing Rogers can do about it. i then asked her for her cell number, and she replied "why would i give it to you, i don't know you" i then said to her "exactly, so do you think i am that stupid to put my number online for this crap." grrrrrr
    i got a extra 30.00 charge, and i only got 1 text, and that was after billing dates... i immediately texted stop... but where did other text go where i gave a third party access to bill me, and where did i give rogers the permission to do so.
    class action i think... i am in ...
    can't wait for contract to end

Jun 29, 2011

I cancel my contract with Rogers earlier today, that's because I don't want to support scammers anymore and Rogers customer service never show the faith to solve this scam activity even they know for years. They are simply closing their eyes to collect money for scammers. I'm sick of it!

• Ha
      Jun 30, 2011

No matter what cell phone company you are with you will always have this.. Im with Telus and I have had mysterious charges and they told me the same story.. it worked and i got rid of the charges... If this was a "scam" or illegal or not right dont you think they wouldnt be doing this because its illegal? Some of you need to suck it up .. maybe you were playing with your phone drunk.. or your kid got to it, or you just didnt know what you were doing at one point because you know your cell phone is smarter then you..
    Some people need to stop BLAMING other people and stop whining..
    ps, good luck getting away from this.. the only way to stop it is to NOT have a smart phone

• Ze
      Jul 11, 2011

I got this scam too. If there is a class action, I am in!!!
    Rogers is not doing a good job to protect there customer, instead, they proctect the scammer!!!
    If I sign up for a service, I want to see a contact. Not just my phone number. And it is not a binding contract at all. Rogers alowing not binding contract to go through and collect money for scammer from their value customer that is not right. If the case if like what Hates you sadi. I will give up on my smart phone, not only my smart phone but also my cell phone services!
    Why put oneself to this type of risk. If my bank or credit card compay is providing same type of answer when I have scammer charge non-authorize charges into my account, they will be out of business. Same apply to cell phone providers.

• Se
      Jul 12, 2011

All we have to do is close our ecount and tell every one do the same

Jul 21, 2011

My all these comments are what I have gone through today. My cell phone bill was 60 dollars plus 7 dollars hst more, because of what rogers called a third party event. Called rogers and the said they cant do anything. That I had to be proactive and watch where I subscribe.. ??? Told them I have not agreed to anything that I was not being delivered any extra service from moozot. That 60 dollars a month was more than I pay for my home internet. This is all so stupid why is rogers collecting money from what I consider to be a virus, and they say I have subscribed to it, I haven't. And they say that this is a legitimate charge.What is this world coming to

• Se
      Jul 21, 2011

I have had the same problem and I am going to cancel all contract that I have with them first I will start from my business.

•   Jul 21, 2011

Jul 21, 2011

To respond to the last posting. I did not click on any pop up window, and enter stupid contests, and did not use my number on any websites although someone else might off. These charges just appeared.I am also thinking about buying out the remainder of my contract with rogers.

Jul 22, 2011

To the last comment nobody here is looking for sympathy, simply stating facts. And to say that someone is deserving to be treated the way all these people that have posted here have is simply stupid and not worth anyone's consideration you must work for rogers.

•   Jul 22, 2011

Come on Marco2012... You HAD to have clicked something... typed your phone number in somewhere...You're crazy if you think that it just showed up randomly. Clearly you didn't read the fine print somewhere along the way. Anyway.. I wasn't commenting to you.
    "On their website there is a pop up that claims you can win a prize from Rogers--answer the question and put your cell number in the blank." A quote from the OP. And just so you know.. the world doesn't revolve around you. Every comment posted here isn't about you, Marco2012. And just because I disagree with you, I work for Rogers? You're delusional. Go take your schizo meds please.

• Pe
      Jul 23, 2011

I have these charges as well.
    I started getting odd text messages and I called rogers right away (and was instructed to send a text message saying "stop all" to the sender and was told they
    could be reversed once I got my bill, when I got the bill a different rogers rep said the charges are my problem.

I then demanded my cell service have 3rd party billers blocked, leveraging off an existing service available to say "block outgoing long distance calls" (so you can not make long distance calls ) The rogers rep says they cant do that?? WTF

So if I can be at the mercy of some 3rd party biller (who came out of no where) to charge me for services I have not authorised, and rogers takes no move to stop the fraud, and is probably getting a commision from the 3rd party provider, well it looks like a case of mail fraud / wire fruad and rogers is a party to it.

I'm pissed rogers, and my contract is up in 2 months, this is only a $25 charge, but its a dealbreaker for me. I demand the charges be reversed, and I want 3rd party billers to be forbidden from accessing my account.

Interestingly in the states there is a fight to ban this practice called "cramming"
    Rogers knows about the issue, and has for several years but does nothing

Jul 27, 2011

Iam not sure what your here for vetoForBrs most of us are here to talk to our peers about problems thAT ROGERS IS GIVING US, AND YOUR HERE WHY??? ROGERS EMPLOYEE

•   Jul 27, 2011

Marco2012:
    My first comment posted here (Stop clicking on pop ups and falling for the ol' 'YOU WIN $1, 000, 000, a new laptop, Ipad, luxury cruise ride, free 10 day vacation, and a Lexus if you just type in your cell phone number HERE!' Anyone gullible enough to believe this silly nonsense deserves to get taken for.) was a response to the original poster. It wasn’t a response for you, or any of the others commenting after. In the original post, the poster said, “On their website there is a pop up that claims you can win a prize from Rogers--answer the question and put your cell number in the blank. I did this.” He admitted to typing in his cell phone number, thinking he was going to win a prize. By doing this, you are agreeing to any terms and conditions the people running the “contest” have, which includes agreeing to be billed the $9.99 (or whatever it is) a month for their “service”. This is the same for any of those “send a text message to 55355 if you want to receive this cool ringtone” or “type 13423 if you need to know the answer to a random question when you don’t have internet readily available”.

To answer your question as to why I am here: I enjoy reading these boards because once in a while, you stumble upon some good advice. But, mainly, the posts are just amusing, a time-passer while I’m at work. Most of the posts on here are so freaking nuts and crazy that the entertainment is what draws me in. And just because I disagree with what was posted, doesn’t mean that I’m an employee of the company in which the complaint was made against. It just means that I have a different opinion than you, which we are all entitled to. Like you, I can agree and disagree with randoms on the internet.

“...any websites although someone else might off.” This statement in your comment makes me think that you DO know how where those charges came from on your bill. You know they didn’t just appear. I’d bet that you DID enter your phone number in somewhere or maybe it was when you sent that text to 38562 to “Find all the singles in your area”. For you to have the idea that “someone else might have” tells me that you are quick to blame someone else for something that you are more than likely responsible for but are either embarrassed, or just don't want to admit guilt. But then again.. that’s just MY opinion.

• Bu
      Aug 11, 2011

Happened to me to: It's Rogers fault in my eyes. Since all this is coming about and they claim to be on the consumers side then they either need to beef up their security or billing procedures in light of all these comoplaints or don't offer Third Party at all.

I was given the royal run around trying to dispute this action. My case is why when this apparently happened in April I get a bill for the first time in August. After it "the text quiz questions" that I NEVER responded too just started in August. I actually never got billed till I researched trying to stop them from texting me for fear of being charged and know I can't get out of a $49.00 bill. When I called to unsubscribe as instructed by Rogers, the agent at CLIQDIGITAL gave me a bogus email address to dispute it. ROGERS... Buck up and do something to stop this.

Aug 12, 2011

SINCE MR ROGERS DIED, THIS F'IN COMPANY HAS A NEW C/S ATTITUDE ... SO WHAT IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE, DON'T LIKE IT, THEN GO AHEAD AND CANCEL. THAT IS WHAT A SO-CALLED MANAGER TOLD ME WHEN I CALLED IN TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE 3RD PARTY CHARGES.
    THEIR RESPONSE MIGHT AS WELL HAVE INCLUDED: SO WHAT IF YR CELL PHONE CONTRACT IS ENDING IN SEPT / SO WHAT IF BELL IS OFFERING U A DEAL ON CABLE / HDPVR / LANDLINE / INTERNET
    ... ROGERS MUST BE MAKING SO MUCH MONEY THAT IT'S OKAY TO LOSE CUSTOMERS. I AM GOING TO GET MY HUSBAND TO SIGN UP WITH BELL ASAP ... IMAGINE, GETTING TO USE THEIR HDPVR FOR FRICKIN' FREE FOR 3 YRS
    ... ROGERS DOES NOT HAVE A MONOPOLY, SO I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THEY ARE SO NON-CHALANT ABOUT ANY OF THEIR CUSTOMERS.
    ... COMPANIES BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO GET AND KEEP THEIR CUSTOMERS ... SEEMS ROGERS IS ABOVE THAT

Aug 12, 2011

A NOTE TO " VetoForBRs ... YEAH, MUST BE NICE TO BE " AT WORK " AND U HAVE TIME TO READ / RESPOND WITH INSULTS TO PEOPLE THAT WANT TO COMMUNICATE WITH OTHERS IN THE SAME SITUATION ... WE DON'T NEED YR F'IN 2 CENTS.
    NOW F OFF AND GO BACK TO WORK ... EARN YOUR PAY

•   Aug 12, 2011

LUCYD please stop raging.. and take your sausage fingers off the shift key, thanks.

Best Best Advice

HEY VETO ... STILL HARD AT WORK I SEE !!!
    YOU SURE SEEM TO LIKE TO TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO DO AND HOW THEY SHOULD FEEL.
    YOU'RE NOT DEAR ABBY, YOU ARE VILE VETO !!!
    ... BTW, I GOT E-MAILS AGREEING AND THANKING ME FOR MY COMMENT TO YOU AND THAT U R AN ###, ALONG WITH OTHER WONDERFUL DESCRIPTIONS.

•   Aug 12, 2011

"YOU SURE SEEM TO LIKE TO TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO DO AND HOW THEY SHOULD FEEL. "

And then you said...

"... NOW, WHY DON'T U GET BACK TO WORK AND AT LEAST TRY TO DO SOMETHING FOR THE COMPANY THAT U R TAKING SPACE / OXYGEN / TOILET PAPER FROM !!!"

You... are an idiot.

"BTW, I GOT E-MAILS AGREEING AND THANKING ME FOR MY COMMENT TO YOU AND THAT U R AN ###, ALONG WITH OTHER WONDERFUL DESCRIPTIONS. "

LOL... emails, eh? Pussies. It was probably only one single PM from Marco... or whatever that douche's name is from above. I am glad you have fans though.

P.S. I like my cushy job that allows me to play on ComplaintsBoard all day. Work smart, not hard.

Aug 14, 2011

Same story for me, the funny thing is 3rd party charged $15.00/ month on my mobile stick internet, but i never got any text from them. so have to call them to cancel and get a refund, but is a headache to cal rogers back and forth... and rogers also renew my service agreement with out my knowledge.

• Al
      Aug 23, 2011

Fraudulent 3rd party billing( from an adult site) showed up on my rogers bill this past week( sent to my 7 year old daughters phone). I called Rogers and they gave me the same run around.I said under no circumstances is third party billing to be allowed on our phones but they claimed they could do nothing about it.Personally, I believe Rogers has total or partial ownership of these 3rd party entities. I am seeking legal advice to see if I can sue Rogers for not protecting my 7 year old daughter from potential sexual predators.

Aug 23, 2011

Good for you Alex1212 ... Rogers needs to start taking this seriously, so I hope you are able to get somewhere, especially with your special circumstances. All the best ... keep us posted.
    Anyone with same situation that was able to get anything back from Rogers or from 3rd party company, please please do tell !!!

• Al
      Aug 23, 2011

Correction to my above post. I do not believe Rogers owns any of these 3rd party billing companies BUT I do believe they are receiving financial incentive from them.

• Vi
      Sep 10, 2011

The same thing happened to me. I did not open or respond to the texts as I only have an emergency phone. As soon as my plan is up I'll be taking my over $2400/yr. elsewhere. Rogers is in bed with these companies and they will regret as they lose their customers, so I hope they enjoy their short term windfall.

•   Dec 08, 2012

Your son entered a contest through text messaging. He did not read the fine print explaining the recurring fee.
    He needs to text STOP to their number, or the charges will continue.

Rogers is not making any money on the charges - sprized.com is - so it is up to sprized to reverse the charges, not Rogers.

• Ro
      Dec 09, 2012

Hi all, this is Chris at Rogers. When it comes to Premium SMS, we have made the process more rigorous. We require a two-step opt-in process. That means a customer has to double verify that he or she wants to receive the premium SMS service.

Customers wishing to stop participating in any premium text programs can text "STOP" to the relevant short code. When a customer texts “STOP” or “ARRET”, this should end the customer’s participation in the program and any associated charges.

We also offer itemized billing which provides the name and contact information of the Premium SMS provider right on your Rogers bill. We have gone a step further and now offer the ability, at no charge, to block all Premium Text Services from being activated on a customer’s device.

• Po
      Apr 15, 2014

Ouch, you really think Rogers would collect for a third party for nothing. They are making a killing off this. I received a text very shortly after

I received my phone and replied not knowing what it was. When I contacted Customer Service, I was told Rogers would never do that to

their customers and they had nothing to do with the company even though they were collecting the charges and I must have replied. When I

asked how to have it stopped she said she did not know. After receiving my next bill, I called again and was told the same thing again.

When I mentioned that Rogers had broken the contract by violating my privacy, I was reluctantly told that if I text "stop", I would receive

no more texts from the company. So I did and never received any more. If Rogers has the name and contact information they obviously

have an arrangement with that company and you can request that they block all Premium Text Services but you have to know about it first.

If you do not know how do you prevent it until you have an unfair charge. Roger's should be held accountable for their lies and thieving.