Rogers Rocket Stick / bad value for isp

1 Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Review updated:

The internet connectivity gadget - Rocket Stick is promoted as "special deal" of $30 for 1 Gig of activity. Claimed to be way over the normal documents download on e-mail attachments for example so that is all you would likely need. The next level is 3 Gig and that costs $60 plus bucks. They asked what I paid my isp for my service and at $36 they remarked see how much cheaper it would be on this special offer. Hey I will throw in 2 months free to see how much you really use of bandwidth. I checked with my isp and found I get approximately 70 Gig for my $36 which is on an ADSL connection.
I know my home system is a land line but still the 1 Gig for $30 seems a definite rip off. So like these Canadian telecoms to hook you in and then kill you with overage charges knowing the average joe is likely to pay it for lack knowledge and savy.
We get charged outrageous rates for telecom services in Canada and it is only because they can with so little competition and a sellers market.

Comments

• Sm
      31st of Jul, 2009

you`re comparing DSL to 3G mobile browsing.

Apples and Oranges.

• Re
      31st of Jan, 2010

Complaint...Anyone wanting Rogers Rocket Stick please think twice. You can't watch YouTube, UStream, or play games. I had a bill in for $600+ which I disputed with Rogers and eventually my bill was changed to $92. After paying that I received a second bill for the same billing month saying I owed $300+ and that was after I stopped YouTube and UStream. They didn't even put my useage on my last bill and expect me to pay it in blind faith. In fact, every bill I have had since having the Rogers Rocket stick, I have had to spend an hour to 3hrs on the phone with them trying to straighten out my bill. Basically...Rogers Rocket Stick sucks! Do not get rooked into it. You are better off going with Platinum if you live in the boonies. I've been researching Platinum internet for 4 months now and there has not been one complaint about it. As well, I talked with them about internet options and THEY know what they're talking about unlike Rogers. Forwarned is forarmed.

• Bt
      4th of Jun, 2010

A lot of you seem to not know what the Rocket Stick is capable of doing. A 600.00 bill for streaming movies/videos? What the hell were you doing? I highly doubt it, unless you had it streaming and buffering 24/7.

I play World of Warcraft quite often on my stick, and even if I did come close to my data cap -- they alert you with texts through the program.

For future customers, or people looking to buy this device -- DO NOT listen this ignorance.

• Mu
      5th of Jul, 2010

The "Rocket" is not what they claim it is. I just cancelled after 7 months of frustration. It is often very slow, how about 30 minutes to download a one line email, dial-up was often faster. Many times it took multiple refreshes to download a page. I switched to a different service and it was immediately noticeably faster.

• Ti
      19th of Dec, 2010

These company's will do whatever they want i signed up with rogers for the Rocket Stick.It was the only reasonable high speed internet in my area.I did try Bell but it was too slow.So i checked into the rocket stick and it was priced very reasonable so i thought.When i signed the contract the cap was 100.00 meaning my bill would never be over 100.00 plus taxes of course.The one big reason for high speed was to run my magic jack and for that the computer had to always be on so i put an old computer together and put it in the back room (laundry room)out of site and out of mind.Also had no monitor hooked up because it was not needed.Anyways i had a problem with the first one i got and i had to restart the computer everyday (which still i did not need a monitor).SO i called and got it replaced (next day) I unplugged the old one and put the sim card in the new one and i had to hook a monitor up this time so i could see to set it up.I then checked mess. and there was none so i carried on.Well don't i get a bill at xmas that was $1100.00.So i called them and they told me that the cap had went from $100.00 to $500.00 and it was printed on my bill and i was sent a text mess.So i went and found all my bills and read them and nowhere did it state the cap was raised i then called them to inform them that it was not on any of my bills.I said to the lady on the other end of the phone that if she could find this on one of the bills then can you please send it to me.Then of course once i faced them with this, they said well we know you were sent a text over the Rocket stick.But what i told them about the stick being in a computer nobody goes near or uses they didn't care all they want was there money and they felt sorry for me.So needless to say there is a judgment against my credit fro $1600.00.I do have cell phones with them and they did disconnect them at one time over this but it was turned back on rather quickly.Because i told them this is my only phone and i have a baby and no car during the day and something ever happened and i needed the phone and it didn't work i would hold them responsible.I said further more these are 2 separate bills one for the internet and one for the phone and the phone bill is up to date.I did forget to mention i got this stick July of 09 and Oct/09 i got a letter from the manufacture saying my rocket stick needed to be updated because it did not meet the standards act.I did contact the higher ups at the Fcc and they stated they did not know how it got on the market with out meeting standards and he said he would be looking into it.I had asked for him name and a comfirmation letter that stated it should not have been sold and he said the letter i got from the manu. says it all.It just goes to show that these big company's can do whatever they want when they want all it takes is there money(stolen from us).All in all there is nothing we can do as for me i can't afford a lawyer to fight them and they know this.

• Mi
      10th of May, 2011

very poor service, a definite money pit

25th of Jul, 2011

Here in BC the rocket stick is so inconsistent it is frightening, sometimes i can connect, and the speed really not that good, other times it just will not connect at all. As i do a lot of travelling between Vancouver - Kamloops - Kelowna and castlegar it pretty much sucks. Problem is I'm stuck on the crummy contract, my friend uses the Telus USB stick and i'm always using his laptop to do most of what i have to do ... i will not be renewing this thing.

• Ro
      30th of Jul, 2011

I too purchased a rocket stick( prepaid $150.00 and pay as you go usage ) to take to the cottage for my month of vacation . It did not work lots of signal but no connection after calling Rogers and spending hours on the phone they "escalated " my issue and I would receive a call back within 48 hours . After 5 days without a call I called again and their computers were down ! Then after 7 days I called again and spoke with Sherif the supervisor, he had no idea why nothing had been done on the file and said I would receive a call within 2 hours .
    So by day 14 no call back still not working on day 21 I, I called again and was told by Sherif nothing new but they would call . On Day 25 I cancelled my account and went in to return the darn thing, they said sorry you must have the packaging, we can only send it for repair . OK please repair it . Oh you cancelled your account we can't help you. Sorry .

• Pe
      6th of Nov, 2012

My name is Peter Cung, 70 town centre court, apartment 811, Toronto, Ontario, Canada phone:416 -406-2965
    I had pay $100 dollars on July 16, 2012.After that, I paid another $ 300 dollars .I did not use my wireless rocket stick internet and I had it during those period of time from July 16 until now.Now I received a bill of $ 317.41through a Rogers collection company.I explained to them.They asked me the receipt of my payment that also being thrown out together with others receipts in the same bag by mistake.I strongly believe that my mere presence of payment at a lower lewel of a mall and my conversation with a staff and her manager and another two higher level officers on the store did show beyond reasonnable doubt that my $300 dollars was made and paid.Unfortunately I must proceed with a formal complaint escalation to resolve this matter sometimes before november 13, 2012.The Rogers collection man gave me until November 26, 2012 before an action was made to my credit rating.

• Ro
      8th of Feb, 2013

I feel like they pulled a bait-and-switch on me. I got the rocket stick in Dec of 2012. It worked amazingly for about 6 weeks. I use it for VPN into my office - to remote desktop to my office PC. Since the middle of January, it has been total crap. Now, every 5-10 minutes, the connection locks up for 1-2 minutes. Imagine trying to work on your PC with it freezing like this so often.
    Now I am seeing my smartphone internet access having similar outages.
    I think Rogers just continues to oversell their bandwith until they get enough complaints, then they add a little more, bit by bit. I don't know this, but I do know that lack of competition amounts to excessively high costs for crappy service.
    Way to go, Rogers - way to dispell the myth of evil greed corporations!