Rogers / Fido / collections/credit

1 Ontario, Canada Review updated:

After 10 years with fido, a late payment resulted in
A freeze in service from fido.
This helped me to decide to quit using fido.
I was billed for the time period that my service was de activated and I refused to pay. I could not get them to understand that there was obviously no uasage during the de-activated period so why should I pay. "you didn't make us aware you you were cancelling".
Bs. My phone is dead. End of story. After repeated calls from nco collections they put a charge on my credit rating.
Thank you rogers for sticking it to me after 10 years of my loyalty!
Rogers, you suck big time! Bandits!

Bill
Ontario

Bi

Comments

• Ke
      28th of Dec, 2008

(Correction, Sorry) I think Fido doesn't care about customers, just our money..so they can stay afloat.. I have been loyal customer to Fido for more than 2 years only to have them hit on my back with unfair and excessive fees, late account charges (as they either didn't send the invoice or send it late after the due date.. can you believe this?), ecf ($400 max for a phone that was scammed at $0) and etc...
    Thats why we should complain to Fido and CRTC (for allowing these kinds of corporations like the Big 3 to exist) by speaking out about the poor and nasty treatment by them the more people speak out, the more disadvantageous the company will be..This way they will have to back down and listen and care about customers..

28th of Dec, 2008

Sorry..there seems to be something wrong with the attitude function of this website..I chose "Agree" on my 2 comments but it showed the Disagree icon..i don't understand why.. hrm...

31st of Jan, 2009

I give thumbs up for this article too. I also have been a victim of Rogers and Fido's dishonesty. They offer poor service, don't inform you of hiden fees and fail to inform on how much their new producta can cost you an arm and a leg.

I threw 400$ out of the window for a phone that I can no longer use. But I consider myself lucky because I know some people that had a thousand dollar debt with these crooks and had to go to court.

It is unfortunate that such a business like Rogers and Fido lack such business ethics and etiquette.

And I do agree they are obnoxious and rude.

I think it is time that people voice their complaints and let people know to do business. To my satisfaction, I have many friends that do business with other cell phone providers when I told them my unfortunate story with Fido and Rogers. And I hope I can inform as many people possible for the years to come not to do business with them.

• Fi
      4th of Mar, 2009

So this is the letter I wrote to Fido, regarding my past service... long story short... (youll read more in the letter) after 1 year, i switched to rogers from fido (same company) cause i wanted a phone fido didn`t have, they informed me no ECF and i called htem several times to make sure there was none. SO... in the end, i get a collection call from NCO saying i owe fido 235$... READ ON)

-------------------------------

I am writing to file a HUGE complaint against YOUR company. I was a Fido Customer for about 4 years. I was interested in purchasing a Blackberry in November 2008, and realized that Fido does not carry them anymore. So I called a customer service Rep on the Fido number through my phone, and asked How much it would be to Cancel My Contract. I was told 200$, BUT if I switched over to Rogers after my 1 year mark with my new contract (which was November 29th 2008) It would be NO CHARGE to switch to Rogers because rogers owns Fido. I said great. I waited until November 29th 2008, went into a Rogers Dealer, and explained to her what I was doing. She was extatic and said it would be no problem. She was extremely helpful. I called fido to double check everything would go okay, they informed me yes, and No Cancellation fee of $200 was being charged to my account because I was switching to Rogers. We Activated my rogers phone, and before everything could be complete, the representative Had to phone Fido to switch over my phone number. While on the Phone... She was then informed that They could not cancel it until November 30th 2009, and was informed that was the date of my 1 year mark. The Rogers representative was extremely angry at the CSR through Fido and was arguing on the phone with him that November 29th 2008 WAS the 1 year mark, and his information is wrong... And told him that i WILL NOT be charged a CSF. She asked to speak to his supervisor, she was put on hold by the Fido CSR. 45 minutes later, the Fido CSR comes on the phone and informes the Rogers representative that his Supervisor is not Available. He says he will cancel the Fido Contract tomorrow, when the number is switched to Rogers, and I will not be charged a Cancelation fee. The rogers Representative makes sure he types in this whole conversation to my Customer File with FIDO and hangs up. We then proceed with my Rogers account, Pay, and off I go. The Next day on November 30th 2008, I go into a Fido Store in Langley, BC (not a booth, but a STORE) to double check my account has been cancelled with no charges. I was ensured by the CSR for fido IN PERSON, that my account is cancelled and all was ok.
    YAY, SO... Next month in December... I get an e-mail from Fido (I did Email and online billing ONLY) saying my monthly invoice was available to see... confused... i call FIDO AGAIN, and ask why this has happened. I get informed that it must be a mistake, and it will not happen again, and that I do not owe them Anything. OK. Next month in January it happens again. AGAIN I PHONE FIDO, and say the exact same thing, and am told the exact same thing. I asked them why I even have a file with them anymore, seeing as Im with Rogers, Not Fido, but whatever.
    NOW, ON MONDAY MARCH 2nd 2009, I GET A CALL FROM RCO COLLECTIONS SAYING I OWE $235 TO FIDO. I say... NO that is a complete mistake. The collections Lady, `JANET` informes me what i need to do is phone fido and see what happened. So then, I PHONE FIDO AGAIN and say why am I in collections... I havent had a phone with you SINCE november and it was canceled and switched for NO CHARGE to ROGERS. The lady named MARLYNE (who actually spoke ENGLISH FOR ONCE) said there was a cancellation charge for me canceling on november. I said no, that is a mistake... explained what I was told, and she said, ok, im going to put you on hold for a moment, and i said ok. At this point I am SO FRUSTERATED WITH MY PAST SERVICE I AM NEVER GOING TO REFER ANYBODY TO FIDO, AND AM TELLING THEM TO SIGN WITH TELUS OR BELL. Marlyne come back onto the phone, and says there has been an `ERROR` on my account. APPARENTLY i was supposed to call Fido, 30 days after I Cancelled my Contract to say I have Signed on with Rogers and NO charges should be made. Hmmm... I seem to recall calling fido to complain in DECEMBER AND JANUARY about receiving invoices and telling them I HAVE SIGNED ONTO ROGERS. Marlyne explained to me this was an error and that the collection is getting REVERSED, and to phone Fido back on Friday March 6th at the very latest to make sure everything was reversed. I was assured that there are going to be NO CHARGES and will probably recieve a rebate because I payed a LAST BILL i was not even supposed to pay, and NONE of this will affect my credit... Because it BETTER ###ING NOT! I said okay, and thanked Marlyne for her patience(and for once) the GOOD customer service. I then phone the RCO collection agency and informed them what was going on, and they said okay to phone them on friday and when Fido does the reversal everything will be okay.

So friday awaits, and everything SHOULD be running smoothly... If not... I AM GOING TO THE MEDIA WITH FIDO AND HOW CRAPPY THE COMPANY IS. IT IS A SCAM AND YOU DO NOT APPRECIATE YOUR CUSTOMERS OR THEIR SERVICE. I HAVE FANTASTIC CREDIT, AND HAVE WORKED HARD TO MAINTAIN IT THAT WAY, AND WILL BE IN THE PROCESS OF PURCHASING A HOME LATE THIS YEAR. THERE BETTER NOT BE AN AFFECT ON MY CREDIT BECCAUSE OF STUPID PEOPLE MAKING BIG MISTAKES AND ERRORS SO FIDO CAN SCAM PEOPLE OUT OF MONEY AND RUIN THEIR CREDIT. IT IS NOT MY FAULT YOU CANT PROPERLY TRAIN YOUR CSR`S, OR ONLY WANT TO PAY 2$ AN HOUR FOR PEOPLE IN 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES TO ANSWER CUSTOMERS SERVICE CALLS. IF THIS IS KEPT UP THE WAY FIDO IS BEING RUN, YOU WILL GO BANKRUPT

----------------------------------------

So lets hope this ### dones`t do ANYTHING to my credit, or I am storming in to their office and Vancouver, and giving ###! and not leaving... until everything is fixed... because we all know if can be done with the click of a mouse... too bad they have ### customer service reps working for them they dont know how to work a computer.

12th of Mar, 2009

As a matter of fact, I have already unlocked my Fido cellphones by myself (Yay!!) and I shall do more. (Tip: Your Fido phones are, sadly locked can use with this or Rogers carrier only, I heard in AT&T from the States if you ask their customer support nicely by making some excuses like you are going on a trip to Europe...
    they will give you the unlock code to the unlock your branded cellphone
    so you can use it in any country. My next goal is flashing the original firmware (without Fido logo or its internet options on it of course)
    This is already one form of protest.. I know that this is a breach of contract or illegal.. BUT I don't care about Fido anymore as they cheat for their pleasure, its their fault.
    Why should I honour the contract when they failed to deliver what the customer wanted, and always
    cheat, nickel and dime poor customers even in times of economic difficulty?
    Why the Canadian government support the cruel behaviours of the monopoly companies like the Big three Rogers, Telus and Fido?
    Also, I find it very interesting that only Canada and the UK sells locked phones only like the Blackberry instead of unlocked ones? is this kind of manipulation on the customer and insult on the customers intelligence?
    Do you know in the Far East, you can buy the original unlocked cellphones like the Blackberry and Sony Ericssons for a relative cheaper price compare to the rip off deals by those 3 phone carriers in Canada. One day Fido shall learn its tough lessons of cheating poor customers and their loyalty. They shall be bankrupt
    If you have a Fido/Rogers phone, you have two choices, either immediately cancel it, or unlock it.
    Do NOT, I repeat do not ever do business with this unethical company..unless you wanted to get a high blood pressure. Canadians (expecially those who had been victims by Fido), We must speak up for the sake of a better tommorow for everybody.

4th of Jul, 2016

I totally agree with you. I was with Fido for 10 years and service was great up until they were bought by Rogers. It was all down hill then, soon my bills were incorrect monthly. Long story short, I cut them off and went to Koodo's which is technically owed by Telus. I paid my final bill with Fido and they still billed me for the next month. I didn't pay it and two years later is shows up on my credit. I now have to clear this up with them before it ruins my credit. Shame on them

• Al
      26th of Jun, 2017

the same thing happened to me
    now its on my credit rating
    no notice no accountability to talk to you