Rockaway Bedding / You picked it so its your fault!

I paid $1000 for a Serta Perfect Sleeper Whittingham and notice the very first night, we both sank and found ourselves in a canyon in the middle. We had to grab the sides and pull ourselves out !. I called the store and they stalled us for several days with stories of how the bed just had to get used to us. The problem worsened and they refused to take the bed back and offered us a different brand or another Whittingham for a "$300 service charge". My G/F wound up in the hospital with back pain from sleeping in the sink hole in the middle of the Serta Perfect Sleeper Whittingham.

They did come and look at the bed and measured it without anyone on it, naturally it passed their visual unsprung weight test. Customer service via the 800 number was of little help, one person actually said "You picked it so its your fault"

I started to read about Rockaway and found that they were sued by the state of NJ for fraud:

Va

Comments

• Ss
      10th of Apr, 2007

I just went through a similar but completely opposite experience. I got the same mattress this guy got and after a week I noticed it started sagging in the middle. I called the store. They asked some questions to determine whether I just needed to get used to it or if there was something wrong with the mattress. They sent somebody out to look at it and then said they'd swap it out for a new one at no charge, even though their receipt said I had to pay $79 for transportation since the manufacturer's warranty doesn't cover that. I was apprehensive about getting the same mattress so I went back into the store where I bought it to try out some others just in case. The salesman told me how a few percent of all mattresses are defective and, from the manufacturer's point of view, it's cheaper to swap them out than to get the defect rate lower than that. So I ended up getting the same mattress, which hasn't had the same problem and I've never slept so well. I love it. When you get a defective mattress, it sucks. But they took care of the problem in the most reasonable manner I can imagine at no cost to me. That's why I had to respond to this guy's gripe.

I find it interesting that this complaint complains about a "$300 service charge." When I look on the back of my receipt, it lists a bunch of exchange fees for different situations, but nothing close to $300. In fact, the more I read, the more I think this guy has his facts all screwed up. Let's start with how it explains that the mattress manufacturer provides the warranty, not the retailer. So if there's a problem with the mattress, take it up with Serta. If the problem doesn't fall under the warranty, I'm surprised the mattress sellers even offer to exchange the mattress. Second, it says right there on the receipt the charges for exchanges. If you don't like it, don't sign it. I shopped at 3 other places before buying and found the people at Rockaway to be by far the most knowledgeable and least pushy. Plus Sleepy's wanted to charge $79 for delivery and another $30 to take away my old bed. At Rockaway, it was free. It sounds to me like this guy just didn't choose the right mattress and wanted a different one for no charge. In that case, the 800 number people were right. "You picked it so its your fault"

13th of Dec, 2007

Actually, $1000 for a Whittingham with free delivery, set up , removal and probably the best frame is a great deal!! The fact that your "sinking" into the mattress is the beauty! That's right, your supposed to sink, if you didn't like that feeling, why didn't you choose a harder bed like Serta's Hartley? Duh.