Rock Solid Kitchens/Kitchens / unmatching kitchen units

1 The Kitchen Industrial Park, Groby Street, OL8 2AEOldham, England, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom Review updated:
Phone: 0800 9166 660

I have actually sent this complaint in recently, but when i access your website although the rocksolidkitchen.co.uk name is listed the actually complaint is not so i am re-issuing an updated version below.

I ordered a beech "shaker" kitchen and it was delivered 7th March. On delivery of the items ordered for my kitchen, the delivery man videoed the packs and carcasses for proof of delivery. When I saw that the carcasses were not of the colour I had ordered, the delivery man told me “this is the only beech colour available” although not the colour I wanted I accepted them as they were still lighter in colour than my old kitchen. That evening my husband and myself started to unpack the flat packs, and the corner base was in the light beech which I had originally ordered, on further unpacking we noticed that all the doors and drawer fronts had white interiors (we had paid an extra £90 pounds for the all beech coloured ones); as we carried on checking we found that the drawer interior packs were of the light beech but the drawer fronts were in the darker colour. They had sent 4 right side panels for the larder unit and tall oven housing unit instead of 2 left and 2 rights. The oven facia was missing and the oven fillits as well as the 2 corner posts were missing.

They had sent us 2 x light beech flyover shelf 2400x400 (these are not on the plan for our kitchen) so they don’t fit in anywhere. I asked the delivery men what these were for, he told us it was the back splash for our breakfast bar … we hadn’t ordered a breakfast bar, we had ordered an extra worktop (which Mr Graham the kitchen designer never put down) and the 2 x 1000 double base units which were to make up the central workstation.

The following day I rang Rock Solid Kitchens to let them know of the mix up, and told them that the carcasses were not the colour I had ordered, I was told I had to except them as I had paid after I had seen them. I then explained what the delivery man had told me “this is the only beech colour available”, and was told it makes no difference I couldn’t have them exchanged. So I relented and said “ok when can you exchange the items that had been sent in the light beech for the darker colour, and to exchange the white interior doors and drawer fronts to the one colour as per paid for”. The girl said that they would all be delivered with my dishwasher on the Thursday. To make sure there wouldn’t be another error I e-mailed a complete list of all that had to be exchanged and delivered so they could check it all before they sent it out.

Thursday came and the delivery van arrived, as they brought in the doors and drawer fronts I noticed that they had sent me the light coloured beech (remember they had told me I couldn’t have this colour) and the corner unit which they were swapping for the darker colour, that too was in the light beech, and all the other items i.e. integrated dishwasher, the 2 left and 2 right side panels for the larder and oven housing, were all the same colour, so I had to refuse delivery as this would have made the kitchen half and half in colour. So I e-mailed again to tell them what had happened and told them that if this wasn’t sorted within 7 days I would seek legal advice. I never heard anything from them for nearly a week; I had tried to telephone them and was repeatedly cut off.

The following week I received a phone call from the lady who’d been dealing with me, and I told her what had been going on i.e. getting cut off etc etc, she assured me that she was dealing with my issue and had my files (her name is Tracey) and that she would be talking to the person who packed up my kitchen and she would get back to me. Several days went by and I had to ring her back, I was fobbed off several times again so I e-mailed her. On the Thursday before Good Friday, she rang to say that she was sending me a sample of wood and that I should receive it by the Tuesday or Wednesday and if I accepted the colour she would then arrange for a full exchange of my kitchen to that colour, as I had first requested. I am still waiting to hear from her or receive the sample of wood.

I e-mailed her on Friday 28th telling her that I hadn’t received the wood, and I felt that she had been dishonest with me and that it is now out of my hands. I asked her to contact me to tell me what is going on. They have taken payment for the oven which I asked to be exchanged for a dishwasher; they have delivered neither. I had asked for a refund and this was refused. At no time was I allowed to speak to a supervisor or to be put through to the manager, I requested this on several occasions to be told that they are too busy.

I hope you can help me sort this mess out.

Yours

Jean Evans

Comments

• Mr
      28th of May, 2008

AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS;;;;; just as Mrs Jean Evan's states, this company is disgraceful...
    I ordered our kitchen on 24.04.08 from a representative of this company Mr Steve Evans, who called at our home upon my request. He was very friendly and assured both my husband and I that everything we had chosen and ordered would be delivered on the 21.05.08.
    On the 20.05.08 we received a 'phone call to say that the delivery driver was running behind and would not be able to deliver our order until the 22.05.08. We agreed that this would be acceptable.
    On the 22.05.08 whilst I was at the bank collecting the payment of cash as insisted upon by this company, for delivery and final payment; the delivery driver arrived early at my address and promptly unloaded the whole of my order into my hallway.
    When I returned, I was met by an array of cardboard boxes, double bubble wrapped doors/units, bags of different fittings etc...
    I explained to the driver that I needed to check the items but he was not prepared to wait whilst I did so.
    I told him I could not possible see from all the wrapping, what I had received and although I spotted two boxes that had 3 drawer unit written externally upon them and told him I haven't ordered any drawer units, he assured me that they were base units.
    Immediately after he had left I telephoned the company and said that my delivery was incorrect and please may they telephone the driver and have him come back to collect it.
    The extremely unhelpful and almost rude person at customer services, having kept me on hold for 15minutes, told me she could not take my complaint over the telephone and to e-mail the company.
    I tried explaining that the driver was no more than 10 minutes away and that it would be far easier to have him return as I believed he had delivered another customer's order by mistake and would be unable to make the correct delivery to this person.
    The most unhelpful person at customer services kept putting me on hold and when I asked her to repeat what I had just said, she was unable to as she hadn't been listening at all..
    She became quite abrupt and told me to e-mail the company again and that she couldn't do anything for me until the driver returned with the paperwork.

I immediately sent the company an e-mail explaining all of the above and to date have sent 3 more, with absolutely no response from them.

My husband and I decided we had better check thoroughly the whole order so that we could inform the company in full of all discrepancies...to our horror we found that the whole kitchen was not that which we had ordered at all, in its entireity.
    Instead of the Millenium doors, we had Shaker doors, the taps were wrong, the handles were wrong, all of the plinths/pelmets and cornices were in dark wood instead of light beech, the sink was round instead of square, we had drawer units we did not order etc, etc.

As stipulated in the agreement on the back of the paperwork, I telephoned the company again and was again greeted by a customer services operator who was most abrupt and didnt seem to care at all about my complaint and directed me to telephone another number, which I did, only to be told to telephone the original number again...round and round, back and forth, until being told to e-mail the company yet again.

I truly believe that some poor sole is awaiting the delivery of a Shaker kitchen which at present is sat in our hallway, with no response from Rock Solid Kitchens at all.

This morning I telephoned Trading Standards who informed me that this company has an extremely bad reputation for misrepresentation and breech of contract.
    They told me to send a recorded delivery letter, keeping a copy for myself, stating the Sales of Goods Act 1979, the goods are not as described and not fit for the purpose intended or of satisfactory quality and that they are in breech of contract with me as the goods are not those that I ordered.
    To inform them that they have 7 days from the date of this letter to deliver my original order which I requested upon the intial consultation with their company representative.

I sincerely hope anyone reading this takes heed as I deeply regret ever having even seen this company's name let alone placing an order with them...
    Please do yourselves a HUGE favour and avoid at all costs, literally.

Reba

• Vi
      17th of Jun, 2008

Dear Friends,
    Its such a shame i did not read this article before. I got my kitchen delivered on Friday 13th June and am having horrid time with them. Wring units, missing taps, damaged sink. Same story, they ask me to email and no response from them. If you call them they put me on hold for 15 minutes and disconnect me.
    I am not sure what to do now, my kitchen is half done and am in a mess

Vijay

• Ge
      7th of Jul, 2008

yes im another victim, wrong doors, wrong handles, wrong sink fobbed of with customer services, have white kitchen, but 1 lilac, corner unit base, could not fit any of the kitchen till the base was sorted, they re sent violet, have had to go to b&q, to buy a base unit. Fitted the wall units, and realized that there option for the corner 2x600 units looks ok, but how the hell do the doors fit, thats if you woul like to be able to open them... off to b&q again. Now will be left with base units that do not align with wall units... whilst im there gonna pick up a metal tap as opposed to the plastic one they sent, have not at this time the energy to argue with them any longer, i can only be grateful that the range i have ended up with is currently stocked by b& q, I to have sent numerous emails to them and a fax to theer manager no response!... HAS ANY ONE EVER GOT THER MONEY BACK?

• Ge
      7th of Jul, 2008

but alas i discovered it to late, i am just another victim of this rip off

• Di
      16th of Jul, 2008

By the time you're reading this, you will already have been ripped off by this trading organisation. Please call Consumer Direct & Oldham Trading Standards immediately.

Do not part with any more money. Do not attempt to communicate with RSK. Do keep a written log of everything that has happened so far, and the adverts you have seen.

Search for the postcode on your paperwork on the web; have a look on the ASA website & see if the advert you responded to has already been banned as fraudulent. In 2004. And again in 2005, 6 and 7. You might like to search for a Vance Miller on the web, and read all you can find. Check his long list of criminal convictions. Then go hire a solicitor.

22nd of Jul, 2008

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AS EVERY ONE ELSE, NO HANDLES, WRONG TAPS, 1 DOOR IN A DIFFERENT STYLE, WRONG SINK. PLUMBING WAS SO BAD HAD TO BUY MY OWN. THE WALL CLIPS DID NOT FIT TO HANG THE CUBORDS SO WE HAD TO SCREW THEM TO THE WALL. SO MUCHMORE AS WELL AS CUSTOMER SERVICES, THEY ARE THE RUDEST PEOPLE I'VE EVER HAD TO DEAL WITH. I AM NOW GOING TO CONTACT TRADING STANDERDS TO SEE WHAT THEY CAN DO TO HELP. PROBLEM STILL GOING ON AFTER 6 WEEKS. MY ADVICE TO ANYONE IS DO NOT BUY YOUR KITCHEN HERE GO TO B&Q OR HOMEBASE.

• Br
      31st of Aug, 2008

Thankyou for all the people who have submitted comments regarding RSK... Thank God I found this web site prior to ordering a kitchen from this company...I was about to part with over 2000 pounds...Thankfully I will not be doing business with this firm.

Best Regards

Brian McCann

14th of Oct, 2008

O the 29th of September O8 i got my kitchen Walnut Shaker after 3 redesigns. Likeyou all have said the camcorder came out with the delivery man he said it was there policy to do this. Same day we had the kitchen fitter to come an fit our exdisplayed kitchen he laughed and said ex display, he began with all the faults there wasn't any holes cut out for the hinges to go on then there was some doors with 4 holes cut out so how they made this kitchen to be ex displayed I don't know then there are the appliances the fridge was full of rust and the thermostat literary hanging by a thread the wrong door handles no breakfast bar legs only 1 gas burner the glass doors all scratched an then circled were the marks were. But best of since the 29/09/08 no one has returned any off my calls I have sent email, s faxes you name it I have done it . ROCKSOLID more like JOKESOLID

14th of Oct, 2008

GO WITH OUT A KITCHEN BUT DON, T MAKE THE MISTAKE WE ALL DID, EVEN IF THEY GIVE YOU IT FREE DO NOT GO WITH ROCKSOLID KITCHEN THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY AND YOU NEVER HERE FROM THEM AGAIN I GOT A WEBSITE ADDRESS WHICH IS FOR MOBEN KITCHENS GIVEN TO ME BY A MEMBER OF ROCKSOLID KITCHENS KELLY JONES GIVE US A CALL

14th of Oct, 2008

I WILL CARRY ON PUTING ON COMMENTS ABOUT THIS COMPANY UNTIL MY KITCHEN IS SORTED IT BEATS LISTENING TO YOUR STAFF THAT ARE CLUELESS WHAT TO SAY OR DO THE NEXT THING I WILL BE DOING IS SHOWING MY TAPE OF THE KITCHEN YOU HAVE SUPPILED ME AND VIDEO IS ALOT MORE DETAILED OF THE RUST IN THE FRIDGE AND THE SHODY WORKMAN SHIP OF THE DOORS ECT ECT

• Am
      14th of Oct, 2008

well im another! picture this my blind diabled daughter has had to spend 10 days in her room after school as there is no room downstairs with all their so called **** solid kitchen carcases . i dont even have a cooker and ive got three children. the safety issue is really bad in my house. they dont return emails. we got a sympathetic call from a tracy but she has passed it on to a kelly jones and now we have waited 5 further days. no del all we wanted was a sink taps and a few extra bits we can get on with the lousy cupboards.
    we were thinking of calling the police under the human rights act on our daughter our whole house is upside down.

what shall we do ? how cruel
    amanda watford hertfordshire

• Si
      31st of Oct, 2008

Again like everyone else my order was incorrect. They tell you to check everything carefully, which is very difficult especially if this a personal order (rather than you being a kitchen fitter) as the items are separated. BUT YOU MUST DO THIS EVEN IF IT DELAYS THE DRIVER
    I did check the number of items off the van, but failed to notice that the plinths and end panels were in ash not the oak that i had ordered. I did spot that some of the doors were the wrong colour and sent them back.
    During the installation of my kitchen it became apparent that the taps, veg baskets were missing and that the measurement of a cupboard was incorrect so needed to be exchanged.
    I informed Rock Solid kitchens of these errors two days after the delivery of the kitchen (they recomend the kitchen fitter starts the day after delivery) I then e-mailed them 14 times (at first just friendly informative e-mails, deteriorating to threating small claims court) and sent them formal letter of complaint by recorded delivery (apparently the only thing that is legally acceptable) citing the sale of goods act 1979 (as amended). I also called their Call Centre and their delivery number as these were the only telephone numbers I had, these people were very dismissive and told me that their customer services only accepts e-mails, faxes and letters.
    Nearly 3 weeks after delivery no one had contacted despite e-mails, telephone calls, faxes and a letter.
    I then found and read the complaints board.
    I decided that this was not fair, but also the kitchen I had was 90% right, why would a con-company get it so nearly right. I thought it was more likely that they were over run or badly managed and as we could not (like most people who buy a value kitchen) afford to lose this money, and the kitchen was useless without all its doors, we would go to them.
    My Husband and I spent a day (320 mile round trip) and went to their factory, a dilapidated old mill, in Oldham. Although the staff were far from super helpful, not even apologizing for the inconvenience, they did write up a chitty for us to collect the missing items, so we NOW HAVE A COMPLETE KITCHEN!!

MY ADVICE
    Take all your paperwork
    Take back all the items you need to exchange otherwise you will only receive them if you pay again
    They do receive your e-mails (they had all mine printed out) but if they would have ever responded to me I don't know
    Don't expect an apology, they know they offer exceptionally cheap kitchens (ours came in £2000 cheaper than B&Q and that was without the granite work tops (although you do have to pay for these to be professionally cut).
    They do not seem to be interested in customer service (after all, they already have your money) if you want it sorted-turn up, their office is open from 10 -3pm. GET THE KITCHEN OR BATHROOM YOU PAID FOR.
    It is possible to get what they promise, but you have to be VERY CAREFUL AND VERY DETERMINED. Good Luck !

• Ga
      2nd of Feb, 2009

Yet another victim of rock solid kitchens, why can't these people (thieves) be stopped! If I smoke a cigarette in a public place or break the speed limit I will be severely dealt with! I want to take them to the small claims court anyone tried this?

25th of Feb, 2009

Mr. A. Saunders and Mrs, J, Saunders

We are in the same boat as everyone else, we have written to the Daily Mail and Watch Dog, we have sent e-mails and Fax to no avail, We have also e-mailed the Trading Standards 0ffice and Consumer.gov.uk. These people must be
    stopped, it is fraud and why should we be out of pocket. We are going to sue.

• Ru
      30th of Apr, 2009

me too!!! I really wish I had seen this website. I am also another victim. Apparently head office is temporarily closed because a "fire at the warehouse has destroyed 90% of the stock"...I am very cross...theives and liars...I too will go to the press and media.

1st of Aug, 2009

Well I'm not a victim...well not yet anyway. My partner and I have been looking for a new kitchen. We saw an advert in London's Loot paper stating "MFI IN ADMINISTRATION. Thousands of ex-MFI kitchens to clear. Full kitchens with stainless steel appliances. Only £795 complete. Call 0203 328 1402"

My partner saw it and arranged for someone to come round to talk to us. I know someone who owns an online furniture company who also bought up a load of ex-MFI stock so I thought this sounded legit.

Roy came round and seemed pretty decent, although a little lacking in manners...no indication of who he was when i answered the door just started walking in before I stopped him and asked who he was. Still never got a surname.

He was a typical chatty salesman with the usual patter. He went through the kitchens and everything seemed to be fine, he measured up the space, showed us the different kitchens etc went through the history and background of the company and let us choose. He didn't seem pushy at all. He wasn't the most smartly dressed of salesmen but wasn't a scruff. He had an Iphone, wedding ring and his stories seems to add up. The price came out more than the £795 but that was because £795 was for a basic kitchen of 10 units and we needed 15 plus we opted for a couple more appliances.

When it came to crunch time (he's been in the house from 8 -11pm) he said that he could only give us the discount today because he gets a quota of discount he can give before the company take it off his commission. He had reduced it from £2800 to £1400 which was slightly cheaper than Ikea so I thought why not, he has said that if there is any problems with anything we've got the company's number and email and we've got his number too. so we can call him and he will sort out any issues we might have.

Ok so it's not that expensive, they're selling us the whole lot (units, appliances etc) and they will deliver within a 3hr time slot which is pretty good in central London. Right, I paid the £200 deposit, signed the chitty and we're off...well he was off. Just before I gave him the cash I did a quick Google search for the company and went on to their site to make sure everything was kosher...looked good. professional looking site, numbers were correct etc so we went ahead.

He left and just out of curiosity I googled the name again (its amazing how much info you can get from Google) to find screeds of complaints about Rock Solid Kitchens which was the company before they changed the name to Kitchen Dreams Direct, http://www.kitchendreamsdirect.co.uk/

Same website, same numbers...everything. I read lots of the complaints and praises. Not surprisingly the praises all seemed to be from similar named people (SarahH, SarahX etc) all had the same writing style and none of them could spell, making the same mistakes. The complaints are horrific and I don't want to have that since recently we bought a bathroom from another company and had a similar problem.
    So we decided to cancel the kitchen and since it was only an hour or so after Roy left thought he would give us back the deposit. Could we get hold of him? No.

I might have to write off this £200. But I feel fortunate that we can stop it at this point and not have to wait for the kitchen to arrive before being let down.

WHY CAN'T BUSINESSES DO HONEST BUSINESS?? There are so many willing to provide sub standard goods and terrible customer service. As a business owner it's just as easy to provide good service, make a good name for your company and make money to boot.

Having been through this before I would urge people to search the internet for the company name and any numbers, names, employees etc that have anything to do with the company you are having problems with, gather all the info you can, go on review sites and leave your story in as many places you can, the more you mention the company name the highter up the search rankings it will come. Use Canyoutrustthem.com and any home decoration forums to let people know about them.

I'm fortunate that I only gave £200 and can write that off as sheer stupidity. What I shoudl have done...and what all of you should do is: When the salesman (it always is a man) says "The final price is £2800 but we can give 50% off today" (and he WILL say it) tell him that's great but you would like to sleep on it and get back to him tomorrow. He'll tell you it's a today only deal, but it's not. They are a company wanting your money so if he can offer that today he can offer it tomorrow no matter what he says. If he puts his foot down and says he cannot do it tomorrow tell him it's his commission he's losing out on and show him where the door is. Trust me it will be the best thing you do. This might potentially have been the second time I landed in this situation and you dont want to be where a lot of the people posting here are.

Go to Ikea, our old kitchen is from there and it's lasted 10 years, there's nothing really wrong with it just really dirty from the last owners not keeping it clean. Go to Ikea, at least they have stores you can go to and talk to someone.

• Hu
      23rd of Sep, 2009

Just Another Brick in the wall, Had kitchen delievred - 5 Doors missing! - and short on Pelmet, I called and actually got through to a Sarah and Neil - Whist waiting on the phone i heard another agent - putting the phone down after speaking to customer. Saying "Im not sending that [censored]G BI**H anything !! Not exactly what you want customer services to think. Ive given up hope and just looking around to complete the finished order myself

Steve

• Da
      25th of Sep, 2009

Wow! I found this site he day after I had placed an order with Dream Kitchens and handed over a deposit cheque for £100. Needless to say after reading the reviews on this page I cancelled the order and put a stop on the cheque. Aparently being 50+ and normally suspicious I am still capable of letting my guard down. heartfelt gratitude for probably saving wifey and I a shed load of unwanted hastle.

Dave