RLA Inc. / Terrible experience

1 P.O. Box 730Aubrey, TX, United States Review updated:

On 5/28/08 a young man, (Rich Poole) came around door to door selling magazines. He talked his way in and proceeded to sit on the floor and chat about his family and played with my dog, he was simply a very nice and polite young man. He showed me where my neighbors purchased magazines to help him win a trip overseas and started showing me the magazines and asking what I liked. I rattled off several magazines, none of which he had, but he was persistent. Finally I decided on 'Prevention'. I have seen the magazine in the doctors office and really like it, so I figured why not. Plus it was helping a young man win a nice prize.

Well in 4 days it will be 160 days and I have yet to see any magazine. Granite the receipt does say allow 120-160 days for delivery, but dang are they going to wait until the exact day/hour/second to deliver the darn thing. The subscription was $38.00 which is not cheap. These days I could use that money for a lot more things than a silly magazine.

What gets me is they ask you to allow 120-160 days for delivery but only give 3 DAYS to cancel IN WRITING. They don't even provide a phone number. This was totally out of my character to prepay for anything, especially from someone going door to door, but if they train these kids to be scam artists then they are doing an excellent job. Because this guy was so smooth and charming that it almost made me sick. The only reason I finally gave in was to get him out. He even gave me a little pink slip that said something like 'bug off Rich's got this one'. He asked that I tape it to my front door, because some girls would be coming around right behind him in a competition. I didn't post the note, but sure enough the next day there they were 2-girls going door to door too!

Oh well live and learn!!! I guess I'll just go sit in my doctor's office and read his magazine to compensate for my loss, because I highly doubt I will ever see my magazine or my $38.00 again.

Va

Comments

• Le
      20th of Nov, 2008

I ordered on 10/22 with some kid who almost tackled me on my way in my door. I wrote a check but I was going to pay by debit first. So he said that there was a number that he had to call to submit the payment. I said that I would call from my phone so the phone number is 866--708-2626 if anyone would like to hassle them. I sent in the card to cancel within the three days and still have not heard anything. I just called and left a message so I hope that I can get to the bottom of this.

I think that it is terrible to be having kids sell themselves to make money like this. It isn't teaching them any morals or work ethic. All it is teaching them is that money should rule their world. I hope that someone can stop this company since it is not doing anyone any good.

• Su
      12th of Mar, 2009

I also was approached and suckered into purchasing 2 magazine subscriptions on July 22, 2008. One subscription arrived by the end of September. The other has yet to arrive. On January 1, 2009, I called the company who insisted the orders were being processed and would be arriving anytime. It is now March 12, 2009 and still have not received the second subscription. Beware if they come knocking!!

• Rh
      29th of Mar, 2009

RLA scammed me out of $86 about 9 months ago there were 2 boys they were polite but pushy I was in a hurry and I could not get rid of them.they were trying to get points for a trip.I did get a phone no. from them if I had any problems I gave them a check even though they said if I gave them cash they would get more points.Every time I called the RLA office I got a real person twice the first time was after the 120 days they told me that my order was sentthe publisher and would get it a few weeks Idid not so I called and got a women that told me nobody was in the office she took my phone no. and said someone would call me back they did not.all other attempts were busy.All I want to know is there anyone out there that got there money or even got there mags. I do think these kids from Kenmore n
    Knew what they were doing and should be ashamed of there selfs for what they did I will never trust another kid that comes to my door selling anything and it is a shame this only hurts the honest ones

• Ec
      1st of Sep, 2009

I just want to say thank you for posting your experience. I just had a very polite girl come to my door. I signed up for a subscription and, per her urging that paying any amount of cash would make it go faster, I gave her $10 in cash and a check for $40. It all didn't sit right with me, so I came inside after talking with her and Googled the company. Sure enough, it's a big scam. I was able to watch out my window for her to come back up the road and went out to get my money back. Thankfully she was still polite as I gave her an excuse and she gave me my money. I don't think the kids going door-to-door are in on the scam. I think they really think they are selling subscriptions. Thanks to your postings on this company, I was able to save myself a lot of headache and got my money back. I usually have a strict policy that I do not buy from people to come to my door, but she was so polite I fell for it. Never again!

• Js
      23rd of Sep, 2009

Tissa Smith lies, she doesn't want you to know this info. she will do anything she can to keep this info away from you. I have been fighting them for months.

Agent of record for RLA Sales INC of Aubrey TX is:

Michael Rigler

316 W. Broadway

Gainesville TX 76240

Owner is Mr. Robert Kenmore.

I found all this through the State Department of Texas . Michael Rigler is who you would have lawsuits delivered to according to Texas Laws. Also, file a report with the TX AG office.

• St
      12th of Oct, 2009

I also fell for the scam...only bought a $15 magazine for my daughter and just now realized I was scammed. the boy (Greg Elmore) wrote a phone # on the back if I had and question and just now called it cuz we moved and wanted to change our address and its a sex line. i will never order door to door again!!

• Kr
      20th of Oct, 2009

Ok, so I agree totally with everything people are saying about this door to door selling of magazines. My dumb butt, trusting in people, and this young man who appeared very friendly, nice, and seemed trustworthy. I never thought I would be scammed by a boy at my front door. I stupidly paid cash, sum of 55 dollars to this boy for a womens health magazine. I thought I was being kind to this kid and help him out with a supposed trip somewhere if he won the contest. He even spoke about God and had a tattoo of his deceased friend on his arm. His name he gave me was Derek Lutz from Kenmore? Kenmore? Well, I have my receipt of payment dated 08/29/08. I definitely should have received my magazine by now since its been over a year. I have lost trust and will never purchase another magazine from anyone going door to door. What a scam. Are the kids aware that they are pulling the wool over our eyes or is it the company itself. So wrong and i think it discusting to take advantage of the kindness of others. Speaking of God to sell a magazine. Nice. Glad I'm not them because God would not appreciate, i'm sure, people using his name to steal money from people. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and hope others dont fall for this scam like I did. Thanks alot, NOT, R.L.A. Inc. God will get you. Not me.

• Js
      17th of Mar, 2010

they are closed now, the owner is bankrupt and that awful lady who answered the phone is unemployed!!!