Rivals.com / Preying on teens

So my son asked for a free membership to Rival.com.
This site shows recruiting tapes of athletes among other things.

The free trial required a credit card to register.
I gave it to him, but insisted he cancelled as I did not want to pay 9.95 per month so he can read about other kids.

Thats where it begins. YOU can only cancel by phone, and not on weekends. 9-5 central time only. Plus, it has to be 48 hours before expiration.

This company, NEVER ANSWERS THE PHONE. when I called multiple times, i sent an e-mail requesting cancellation.

I called and got put in queue, number 27. I was up to 25 when my phone went dead, after 20 minutes. I called 7 times and never got through.

Here is the worst part. I spoke to someone who would not cancel the account and said she would connect me to customer service. I was put back in queue at 27 again.
I e-mailed her and she sent me a request for refund form.

I e-mailed it back. And guess what.

THEY CHARGED MY ACCOUNT $99.95.

100 bucks. plus the 9.95 per month.

don't let your kids use this service. They are total scam artisits.

They have charged my card 5 months.

Ti
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Va
      27th of Oct, 2017

I haven't got a clue how my credit card was charged $99.95/year. It happened first in Sept 2016 - one time charge of $99.95. I called the number only to find it is out of service and I had to find an alternative way to contact them to figure out how they got authorization to charge my card and request a refund/cancellation. Of course, it was late at night and I forgot to come back to it. Since then my card was replaced with a new account number, and yet somehow they were able to charge it card again in Sept 2017. Again, no way to cancel by phone - the same phone number, the same message that it is out of service.

I spent nearly two hours on a "chat" with a Yahoo "specialist" today who basically told me they could "cancel the subscribe (sic) but not eligible for refund." When I said the charge was unauthorized, he asked for my Rivals username. Well..DUH! If I didn't authorize the charge, and did not become a member of Rivals.com, why would I have a Rivals username? I went round and round with the "specialist" (in what? the runaround? scamming people?) asking me for more information to show that I was authorized to cancel the account (again, with no refund). Where am I? The twilight zone? I asked for a supervisor and was told that there was nobody with more authority on the matter than him/her. I don't even know if the person was male or female.

Bottom line--I did not get Rivals.com to cancel or refund the subscription that I never authorized in the first place. When I wouldn't give more personal details over the chat, the specialist ended it.

I finally gave up and called my credit card company to dispute the charge, and they said they would handle it and I should see a credit on my statement next month. I emphatically stated that Rivals.com should never be able to charge my credit card automatically again. Hopefully that will be the end of it. I would never recommend doing business with Rivals.com. My experience was completely unbelievable. Who are these people? The reason I believe it's a scam is because of how incredibly unreasonable and difficult it is to request cancellation and refund for an unused/unauthorized subscription. If someone from Rivals.com sees this and wants to contact me to make it right and prove to me they are a reputable company, I will watch this board and respond. I won't hold my breath.

• Nl
      18th of Sep, 2014

Rivals.com is a total rip off. I canceled the subscripion the same day to find that 3 months later my son went to the site and I automatically started getting billed 9.95 a month since feb. It's now late Sept and we haven't been to the site once. We didn't know we had a new subcription. Now they won't refund and say their sorry.

• Je
      23rd of Jun, 2014

I also have a $99.95 charge on my credit card bill! I noticed this charge when I went back to check the date I purchased a different item. I saw the charge on my July, 2013 credit card bill. I called Rivals.com and was answered by "Nick" who was very helpful. He stated my son had set up this account in July of 2012 and it automatically renewed itself each year. So...$200 later, I notice it...it's too late to do anything about the previous billing charges unfortunately, but he stated he cancelled the account and removed the credit card info so it will not renew again. I will be checking my credit card statements more carefully from now on!!

• Dm
      22nd of Dec, 2010

These guys have screwed me right before Christmas and I do not know what to do. It slipped my mind to cancel. Heck I was not even paying attention to the site. I was employed for part of the year and I made a lot more in my prior job. Well it floored me when I saw the charge for 99.95 on my account. At first I thought they would understand and revese the charges. I was very wrong. All the lady on the phone could talk about the Terms of Service! I am struggling to pay bills and even get my son a Christmas present and all they care about is their freaking Terms of Service. Not to mention, they are only open when I have to work. Maybe t is time for a class action lawsuit. It happened to AOL and others who tried to make it difficult for people to cancel. I do not want to use the ste. I just want my money back.