Ritter Communications / Crappy speeds, lots of downtime/disconnections, and piss-poor customer service

Ritter Communications - www.getritter.info

We have had broadband internet service for almost a year now with this company. At the time we signed up, they promised that upgrades would be done 'within a few months and speed would almost double'. Since then, we have neither seen nor heard anything about any upgrades. Our internet service itself is 'on-again, off-again' some days. Other days, it's down for hours. No amount of calling to the Customer Service center merits any haste in getting the services back up, nor do they offer credits for the days that the service is down.

Internet speeds are way below average broadband speeds; more like the speeds you associate with dial-up. My husband plays online server-based games in which a good, stable internet connection is a must. He has to disconnect and stop playing EVERY DAY due to extremely high latency (it takes longer for his signal and the server's signal to get back and forth). He's called their Tech Support number to no avail. They either don't know how to fix the problem, don't care that the problem exists, or both.

The company has a monopoly in rural Northeast Arkansas; they are the only company offering broadband service to a large portion of the population, and they know it. They can charge $39.99 a month for crappy speeds, lots of downtime/disconnections, and piss-poor customer service.

Va

Comments

• Ri
      28th of Oct, 2007

You are correct that there are problems with the speed and connection at this time. We are upgrading from an OC3 to an OC12 this week and soon we will upgrade to an OC48. This is not an overnight process and the network has suffered major latency in the past couple of months during peak hours. This problem has been corrected in all towns with the exception of Trumann and will be rectified there within the week. I know it is frustrating, but soon you will see a difference. If you live near Harrisburg, Cherry Valley, Cash, Swifton, Grubbs, Weiner, Waldenburg, Fisher, or Hickory Ridge you will not see a major improvement until your area is changed to the new system. Those areas are scheduled to be changed over near Christmas. We are currently running Fiber Optics to these areas and our full system rebuild is nearing completion. I know it seems like it will never happen and you don't like paying for what you may not be getting, but it was this way when Ritter acquired the system and we are replacing the entire system that the previous company had in place.

• Li
      15th of Jun, 2008

Ritter is a ripoff and nothing more! They bought outdated service and have bit off more than they can chew. They are passing the cost of their mistake onto the customer.

4th of Nov, 2008

All my contacts with Ritter have been positive.I have been on cable for more than ten years here.I survived Friendship Cable then Classic their service should have been named ServiceLess.Then along came Ritter and everything has been a giant step forward.Me, a senior citizen wishes Ritter would produce a downloadable program schedule so one could look for future programming.Presently two hours are offered on Channel 15 for those who have Basic/Extended Basic.Local paper and tv guides channels don't match etc. Lastly those that came aboard recently would be shocked at the deplorable service offered prior to RITTER. Thanks Guys and Gals

• Lj
      4th of May, 2009

Huge rip-off! This company needs to be swallowed up and improved by someone else. Period. And with their poor service, business model and lack of ethics this is just a matter of time. This DSL ISP is a fraction of the speed of the one I had before I moved, but the bill is almost twice as high! Their technical support staff is rude and unresponsive, they do not listen to their customers and often talk over whatever you are trying to tell them - they need a lesson in active listening, not to mention customer service. After it took them a month to establish service, they made promises of higher speeds "coming soon" and they constantly fail to deliver. Their local people are just as bad. After a visit to their local office to go over my bill and to complain, they proffered up all sorts of lame excuses as to why my service is so poor, one of which they cited themselves as being regulated while other companies are not. This does not include the myriad of technical excuses they (probably read from a script) threw at me and I shot down (I've been in IT for twenty years). They even suggested going to an aircard or satellite service OFFERED BY OTHER COMPANIES!!! What great customer service! - "If you don't like it, leave!" Unfortunately, this "regulated" but monopolistic company appears to get away with it. You even have to pay for the phone service, even if you just want DSL - you can't get naked DSL with them, even in this day and age. I'm not even going to go into having to "rent" their modem at a ridiculous price. Perhaps I will take their advice and go with an aircard to avoid these backwards, backwoods hicks.

• Ci
      13th of Dec, 2013

Wow, it is hard to believe, but every single complaint that I have read here is a carbon copy of what I am experiencing right now!! The ritter employee that gave all of the obviously ridiculous explanations previously is an idiot. The exact same problems occur everyday with my dsl service and it is 4 years after his post. My goodness, I understand needing to have the time necessary to make repairs and upgrades, the highway road crews make better time than ritter. The comment about piss poor customer is very accurate also. I finally gave up and no longer call to complain because all they do is tell you basically that you have great service and there is nothing wrong. they will send someone when they can, of course they come out and say, we can't find anything wrong. Yada yada yada. I wish I knew who to complain to, to get some results and make them liable for their service. It s costs a fortune and I have to reset my box every single hour, just to watch a movie on netflix. I can't make it through an hour series show half the time. It's rediculous!! If I had any option other than crappy satelite internet I would switch in a heartbeat. I have to pay for phone service, I don't even have a phone plugged in, just my internet. I think it is apalling that they don't have to answer for their lack of delivery of reasonble services for money spent. If you had to rely on ritter for lifesaving services you better just plan your funeral, they stink and they lie!!!

• Gg
      27th of Aug, 2014

After
    moving to rural Arkansas, and outside the city limits, we found that
    the only apparent option for internet service was through Ritter
    Communications. It has been a consistently horrible and frustrating
    experience. Upon communicating with neighbors, it seems we all have
    the same poor service although we pay the same prices as those who
    live within the city limits. It's noteworthy that we live in the home
    town of Ritter companies – Only outside the city limits. After some
    research, we learned that it's simply too costly for the company to
    provide the infrastructure necessary to maintain the same level of
    service as those within the city limits. If this company is willing
    to be so callous to it's own hometown customers, I have to infer that
    it will do the same to others in the same situation as us. I am
    writing this as a cautionary tale to anyone considering using Ritter
    Communications or its affiliate businesses.

6th of Sep, 2014

I totally agree with the complaints.

They also blatantly and falsely advertise speeds on their website that they don't actually provide. In our area, they advertise an 8 megabit lower tier and a 15 megabit upper tier. But, in reality they don't sell anything above 2 megabit.

Don't expect them to ever improve the situation.

16th of Mar, 2016

I thankfully don't have any issues with Ritter and have been using them since 2011. Sad that people have issues but majority are never happy with anything.

• Er
      11th of Apr, 2016

Ritter is very deceptive.
    When we signed up with Ritter 15mbs was the highest speed internet offered and that is what we signed up for.
    2 or 3 times since then we have received a notice saying our speed would be increased free of charge just because they were upgrading their systems and this was the new speed. Their new top speed is advertised as 50mbs which is what they have us signed up for and they upped our bill to charge us for it. For the lowest cable they have and internet we pay over $120 a month!
    On top of that they recently changed over to all digital which they say the government is making them do, they send us 2 "free" digital converter boxes. While checking out my bill I see they are actually charging me for the boxes but crediting me back with a note that says "free for 2 years" After that we will have to pay $3 monthly for each box. We have 3 TV's in our home and can only watch TV on 2 of them right now because of this, unless we want to pay more. This is one reason I choose basic cable TV over satellite is so I can hook my service to as many TV's as I want without paying extra for each TV.
    My cable modem was supposed to be free as well but they are charging me $2 monthly for is as well.
    They raise my rate every year for no reason as it is. This is getting ridiculous, but unfortunately they have a monopoly on the cable in my area and there is no competition for them which means I have no other choice if I want to use cable!

• Me
      23rd of Sep, 2016

Well we moved into an area that is served by Ritter. It used to be Millington Telephone. For years we lived in an area served by AT&T but they are not available were we are not. We have been here for almost a year now. While I can't really complain about the price, (we have the equivalent to what we had with AT&T) and it is about $40.00 a month cheaper. HOWEVER, as my mom used to say, you get what you pay for. We really only need the phone line for the DSL internet. Ritter does not have cable TV/internet service in my area so if you want internet, it is Ritter DSL or satellite. The problem with the DSL is that it is VERY slow. I am not a gamer but trying to stream video is almost pointless. Again since there is no cable here, we use an internet based movie service from Amazon, Netflix or others. The DSL speed has a huge impact on the ability to watch movies.

• Yo
      20th of Nov, 2016

Honestly Ritter Comms has the best internet for call of duty, bullets go through him and he kills instantly. hes honestly a sick joke online and its all because of Ritter Comms, if you want to be the best call of duty player in the would, get Ritter!

• Ei
      20th of Nov, 2016

YoZeebu is honestly the smartest guy here obviously evryone else on this page is wrong about ritter communications